CoyKoi

American / Australian living in Thailand: K-1 or CR-1? Relocate to Mexico?

15 posts in this topic

Hi, first time post and we're pretty new to a lot of these issues, so apologies if I make any poor assumptions, etc. 

My Aussie bf and I have been living together in Thailand for the past 6 years. Currently I'm on a work permit (which I can renew for another 12 months next June, if necessary). He left his job a few months ago and switched from a work permit to the Covid Emergency Extension. We would like to get married and live together in the US. We are not officially engaged at this moment, but we are looking at our options.

We are considering the K-1 or the CR-1, but we're concerned because maybe they aren't processing applications for these visas in Thailand at the moment? We CAN handle another 6-12 months here, if necessary, but if it's more realistically 24+ months, then that is starting to feel unreasonable. We aren't terribly bothered about whether the marriage takes place in Thailand or the US, we're open to whatever is more practical.

If it matters, we're scheduled to receive our second AZ vaccine around the end of September, but we're worried that the US will soon require full vaccination and they may not recognize the AZ produced by Thailand's Siam Bioscience (similar to how they aren't recognizing the Indian AZ vaccine). I know that as a citizen, I would still be able to return to the US, but he would not. 

Additionally, he can't physically return to Australia at the moment due to the over-inflated cost of flights right now and the fact that many flights to Aus get cancelled anyway - and even if he could, I couldn't join him due to their heavy restrictions.

We are also open to relocating to Mexico temporarily (either on a 6 month tourist visa or applying for temporary residency, as I hear it isn't too difficult to get) and submitting the application from Mexico if that would be more possible/advisable/easier/faster. I work online, so my job can really be done from anywhere (so if there's a better country than Mexico, please feel free to suggest it). He's currently unemployed but looking for online remote work. But I'm also worried that it may look bad on us if we're applying for temporary residency in Mexico immediately before applying for a K-1 or Cr-1?

Our priorities (in order) are:

1) Not to be separated from each other

2) Him to receive green card ASAP

If anyone has any advice or had a similar experience, we'd appreciate your input very, very much. 

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To be realistic, separation from partners during immigration processes is inevitable for the majority of couples.   It sounds like he CAN return to AUS if necessary, although inconvenient with flight costs. Is AUS restricting their own citizens from returning?

For your 2nd priority, the Cr-1 visa is probably what you are looking for.  Look at the guides. 

Why would it look bad if you relocated to Mexico?  I am pretty sure USCIS will not care where you reside when the petition is filed.  Your ability to support your (future) husband and residency requirements will eventual fall upon you if you choose this route.  

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would echo the above and offer my opinion that based on your priorities, the best option would be to get married and submit the I130 for an eventual CR1/IR1 spousal visa.  It does not matter to USCIS where you (the USC) resides while the processing is taking place, but once the application reaches the National Visa Center (NVC), you will have to start planning for your US based domicile.  Also, you and your future spouse will have to have legal residency in the locale you are living for the visa interview to take place there.  It is unfortunate in your case that regular Direct Consular Filing is no longer a thing, but you can also explore your overall situation and see if you fall into one of the "exceptional circumstances" listed.  From what you mentioned in your opening post, it does not appear so, but if you happened to receive a US based job offer requiring immediate relocation, you may fall into the last category.

Anyway, it is good you found VJ and are starting the research now.

Good Luck!

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/filing-petitions-outside-the-us.html

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-6-part-b-chapter-3

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

read the guides thoroughly as you need to know

1   you need proof of US residency

2   IRS transcripts to show you have been doing them for foreign income (most current year)

3   criminal reports from countrys lived in (for beneficary)

4   Us income to sponsor immigrant 

5   guidelines for income are 100% for K1 and 125 % for CR1

Cr1 is far superior as K1 gets expensive and has too many drawbacks

Thank you everyone to all of your amazing information! We really, truly appreciate it. We realize that we're very lucky to have been stuck together throughout the pandemic so far, and although we would strongly prefer to avoid a long separation (as I'm sure most would), we're realistic that at some point it may be necessary.  It also sounds like the CR1 is the correct route for us - thanks so much for that!

After reading the comments, I have a few additional questions:

1) Is there anyway to compare the average wait times between 2 countries (Thailand v. Mexico)? I called the embassy in Thailand today, and it seems like they actually are accepting applications and issuing interviews (very slowly), although they are terribly backlogged and I'm afraid their current rate may be adding to the backlog rather than sorting it. They absolutely refused to give me any useful information regarding an estimated wait time for someone who applied now, and read me vague statements off of their website (not that useful). We would only head to Mexico if there was significantly less wait time.

2) In reference to the comment by HRQX, re: Utah Zoom Marriage - is there any benefit to getting married this way rather than in Thailand? If there is, then I'm definitely interested, but I thought these services were more aimed at couples who were physically separated. What am I missing here? And if we got married this way, would it be good enough to put my bf on a non-O marriage visa here in Thailand (so he qualifies for the CR-1 here)?

3) I have an upcoming consultation with a US immigration lawyer - do you guys rate them, or do they mainly just fill out paperwork? As I mentioned, BF is unemployed with lots of extra time. While I'm employed, I'm actually pretty good with contracts, legalese, etc.

Thanks again, so much in advance! 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, CoyKoi said:

Thank you everyone to all of your amazing information! We really, truly appreciate it. We realize that we're very lucky to have been stuck together throughout the pandemic so far, and although we would strongly prefer to avoid a long separation (as I'm sure most would), we're realistic that at some point it may be necessary.  It also sounds like the CR1 is the correct route for us - thanks so much for that!

After reading the comments, I have a few additional questions:

1) Is there anyway to compare the average wait times between 2 countries (Thailand v. Mexico)? I called the embassy in Thailand today, and it seems like they actually are accepting applications and issuing interviews (very slowly), although they are terribly backlogged and I'm afraid their current rate may be adding to the backlog rather than sorting it. They absolutely refused to give me any useful information regarding an estimated wait time for someone who applied now, and read me vague statements off of their website (not that useful). We would only head to Mexico if there was significantly less wait time.

2) In reference to the comment by HRQX, re: Utah Zoom Marriage - is there any benefit to getting married this way rather than in Thailand? If there is, then I'm definitely interested, but I thought these services were more aimed at couples who were physically separated. What am I missing here? And if we got married this way, would it be good enough to put my bf on a non-O marriage visa here in Thailand (so he qualifies for the CR-1 here)?

3) I have an upcoming consultation with a US immigration lawyer - do you guys rate them, or do they mainly just fill out paperwork? As I mentioned, BF is unemployed with lots of extra time. While I'm employed, I'm actually pretty good with contracts, legalese, etc.

Thanks again, so much in advance! 

As to your second question, there is no real benefit to the Zoom marriage.  You are right, it is more beneficial for couples that are physically separated.  A legally valid marriage in Thailand, or anywhere else is fine for USCIS.  The Zoom marriage is simply another option.

As to number three, YMMV.  My opinion is that for a simple case (not dealing with US overstays, or other criminal history, etc.), a lawyer (or more accurately a clerk/paralegal) is just filling out the forms.  There are a lot of stories of lawyers/visa services messing up forms and slowing down the process.  That being said, using a lawyer/visa service is a personal choice for a relatively simple case, but if someone does choose a lawyer, they should run away from any lawyer claiming they can speed up the process, and they should closely check all the work the lawyer does and plans to submit on behalf of the immigrant.

Good Luck!

If it's difficult to get married in Thailand because of bureaucratic difficulties or local lockdown restrictions, the Utah Zoom marriage option is a great option.

I agree that if your case is straightforward (no criminal convictions, no visa denials/overstays, no previous misrepresentation with visa applications), you don't need a lawyer.  You just need to invest the time to browse this forum and study the USCIS instructions. Good luck!

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Adventine said:

If it's difficult to get married in Thailand because of bureaucratic difficulties or local lockdown restrictions, the Utah Zoom marriage option is a great option.

I agree that if your case is straightforward (no criminal convictions, no visa denials/overstays, no previous misrepresentation with visa applications), you don't need a lawyer.  You just need to invest the time to browse this forum and study the USCIS instructions. Good luck!

And of course ask questions here on VJ!  :)

On 8/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, CoyKoi said:

Is there anyway to compare the average wait times between 2 countries (Thailand v. Mexico)?

I strongly recommend that you do not pursue a CR1 visa through Mexico, simply because of the sheer number of applicants going through there.  The consulate at Ciudad Juarez in Mexico issues the highest number of US spouse visas worldwide, and that has been the case for years, even before COVID.  I assume that trend will continue, which means there will be a very long line of visa applicants ahead of you when your case gets to the interview stage.  That is, assuming your spouse-to-be will even be allowed to interview at Juarez, as consulates normally require applicants to have legal resident status in their area of jurisdiction.

As far as I know, consulates do not publish wait time estimates for immigrant visa interviews.  Best way to get estimates is to check the tracking threads here on VJ, or search for similar discussion groups on FB.  Based on the latest updates from the thread for Juarez (see below), the current wait time for an interview slot is around 1 year after USCIS petition approval and NVC document review.  Juarez has been backlogged for years and COVID just made it worse.

There is no similarly active thread for Bangkok.  You may want to check for relevant threads that come up from time to time here at the Thailand regional forum, the Consulates forum, or the IR1/CR1 Progress Reports forum.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.