Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, rainbow-skies said:

I am happy most of it went smooth! It is definitely nice to hear a positive story!

I am wondering why they refused to board you if the CDC says that rapid tests (as long as they are viral - for example PCR or Antigen) are allowed. What rapid test did you do, if you don't mind me asking?

I am flying with Air Canada in a few weeks and was going to do rapid antigen test.

Thanks

Mel

You know now that I re-read your post, they denied you boardng on your return flight to Canada with that test?

I just clarified with Air Canada Support team for flights to US:

Screenshot_20210708-081039_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20210708-081045_Twitter.jpg

Timeline
55 minutes ago, JOLUANY said:

God this monthly wait for interview letters is hard on the soul. Hurry the blank up.. Lol DQ Oct 5 2020

Yes it has been quite the journey that's for sure!!  Tryin tryin tryin to be positive!  DQ same day as you.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
43 minutes ago, PHM said:

Yes it has been quite the journey that's for sure!!  Tryin tryin tryin to be positive!  DQ same day as you.

Yeah my wife and I have been married 20 years. 3 kids. I have 10 years solid work history is the US. 2 sponsors. I hope to God that's enough. Haven't seen my wife and kids since February. Let's hope we're both up next.  My wife says I should be positive.  I say I'm being realistic.  Never know when their gonna skip a month. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, Abhikochar said:

Hi there, thanks so much for your response here. I was reading last night that on u.s. passport, without showing the PR card I can enter Canada and take proof of Canadian citizenship for my spouse and proof of marriage, that is marriage certificate. I am going to try that and see if they allow me. Let's see, fingers crossed for today. 

So this is where it gets interesting. U.S. Citizens historically could board a commercial carrier to Canada with just a U.S. passport and did not need and could not get an Electronic Travel Authorization - eTA. Non-American Canadian PRs are prevented from getting an eTA and of course could not get a temporary resident visa, so the only way they could board was with a Canadian PR Card. Theoretically US Citizens were therefore exempt from needing a PR card to board a commercial carrier as their US Passport alone was good enough to board.

However, that is no longer the case because of the essential travel requirement. I do not know what happens if a US Passport holder with an expired PR card tries to board given the current restrictions, I also imagine the commercial carriers won't know what to do either, but given that they run the risk of getting fined for carrying someone without the proper documentation, they're likely to err on the side of caution. Of course, you do have your marriage certificate with a Canadian citizen, so that plus a US passport might be good enough.

Long story short, it's probably going to be down to who's checking you in and how the airline decides to proceed. Worst that will happen is that you get denied boarding, and if that happens, you can try hitting the land border...and you will be guaranteed entry to Canada as is your right per S.27(1).

Edited by Kai (CanadaDude)

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Timeline
5 hours ago, rainbow-skies said:

You know now that I re-read your post, they denied you boardng on your return flight to Canada with that test?

I just clarified with Air Canada Support team for flights to US:

Antigen test is only good for flights *to* the US. For entry to Canada by air or land, it must be a PCR test. Antigen tests are not allowed for entry to Canada and will result in fines by the CBSA/PHAC and/or denied boarding.

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Timeline
Just now, Kai (CanadaDude) said:

Antigen test is only good for flights *to* the US. For entry to Canada by air or land, it must be a PCR test. Antigen tests are not allowed for entry to Canada and will result in fines by the CBSA/PHAC and/or denied boarding.

I was going to do Rapid Antigen Test to go TO Florida. And then Standard PCR in Florida to RETURN to Canada.

I should okay then? Ive read CDC accepts rapid viral tests, so im assuming Rapid Antigen falls under that?

Thanks.

Timeline
Just now, rainbow-skies said:

I was going to do Rapid Antigen Test to go TO Florida. And then Standard PCR in Florida to RETURN to Canada.

I should okay then? Ive read CDC accepts rapid viral tests, so im assuming Rapid Antigen falls under that?

Thanks.

Yup, you should be good with that. I got the antigen test from CVM medical in YVR airport for a flight to Seattle. I had no issues there. :)

Edited by Kai (CanadaDude)

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kai (CanadaDude) said:

Yup, you should be good with that. I got the antigen test from CVM medical in YVR airport for a flight to Seattle. I had no issues there. :)

Awesome. One of my local pharmacies does Rapid Antigen testing for $40 so i really wanted to go with them.

This will be my 4th visit to my wife in the US during this pandemic, and it gets more stressful and confusing each time haha.

Thanks!

Timeline
10 hours ago, Kai (CanadaDude) said:

While your PR card has expired, your PR status has not. Canadian PR is only lost if its renounced or a judge has concluded you have not met the residency obligation of being physically present in Canada 2 years out of every 5 year rolling period or if you're deemed inadmissible to Canada. However, you will not be allowed to board a flight to Canada without a valid PR card or PR Travel Document provided by a Canadian Embassy/Consulate. However, you can enter Canada at the land border and presenting your expired PR card and valid foreign passport. The CBSA might get snippy about it, but as a PR you enter Canada by right per S.27(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

A PR card has to be renewed within Canada, a PR travel document allows you to board a flight without a valid PR card if you get stuck overseas and it's lost/expired. PRTDs take 2-4 weeks when I last checked. I strongly advise you enter Canada by land as it'll be the fastest way of getting back. Don't forget, you must use ArriveCAN and have a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to your attempted entry.

Hope this helps.

@Abhikochar

This is correct. Source: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=065

Crossing at land border is easier as CBSA has more info about your PR status than a commercial carrier who relies on the info on your PR Card. If you have any of the additional documents listed on the link above that would help as well.

18 minutes ago, Kai (CanadaDude) said:

So this is where it gets interesting. U.S. Citizens historically could board a commercial carrier to Canada with just a U.S. passport and did not need and could not get an Electronic Travel Authorization - eTA. Non-American Canadian PRs are prevented from getting an eTA and of course could not get a temporary resident visa, so the only way they could board was with a Canadian PR Card. Theoretically US Citizens were therefore exempt from needing a PR card to board a commercial carrier as their US Passport alone was good enough to board.

However, that is no longer the case because of the essential travel requirement. I do not know what happens if a US Passport holder with an expired PR card tries to board given the current restrictions, I also imagine the commercial carriers won't know what to do either, but given that they run the risk of getting fined for carrying someone without the proper documentation, they're likely to err on the side of caution. 

As an American Citizen, with an expired PR card, a commercial carrier would view you as any other American Citizen with no PR status in Canada. That is, any non-essential travel is not permitted for you. However, your marriage to a Canadian makes you admissible as immediate family. 

I live in Canada as a PR. After we got married in the US in October 2020, my husband and I entered Canada through a land border together. Technically, he wasn't visiting me as I was with him already, yet they allowed him in.

I understand your spouse is a Canadian citizen but not a resident of Canada. This is not the same situation as mine, but I don't see anywhere that for an immediate family of a Canadian to enter Canada, they have to be resident. So I am quite certain you would admitted at a land border and on a commercial carrier simply on the basis that you are married to a Canadian.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html#family-members

"A foreign national who is an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, person registered as an Indian under the Indian act or permanent resident is exempt from the travel restrictions and permitted to travel to Canada if they have the required documentation for travel."

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline

Hey friends, checking in. So happy to see everyone's good news from last month! I have a question about flights to Montreal. I'm out in Windsor, ON and am looking to fly to Montreal - do we require COVID tests for domestic flights? I will have both vaccine doses by then but am unclear with recent restrictions if this means no test is needed.

Hoping to get my letter this month. Oct 7 2020 here so really hoping to be in this batch... 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Purrikitty said:

Hey friends, checking in. So happy to see everyone's good news from last month! I have a question about flights to Montreal. I'm out in Windsor, ON and am looking to fly to Montreal - do we require COVID tests for domestic flights? I will have both vaccine doses by then but am unclear with recent restrictions if this means no test is needed.

Hoping to get my letter this month. Oct 7 2020 here so really hoping to be in this batch... 

No tests required for domestic flights as far as I know, but I think if you're symptomatic you'd be denied boarding.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kai (CanadaDude) said:

No tests required for domestic flights as far as I know, but I think if you're symptomatic you'd be denied boarding.

Definitely makes sense. I'll call to confirm with Air Canada before my flight but hoping it should be fine for domestic flights!

Hoping that we receive letters next week. 🤞

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Purrikitty said:

Definitely makes sense. I'll call to confirm with Air Canada before my flight but hoping it should be fine for domestic flights!

Hoping that we receive letters next week. 🤞

Agreed, hoping they send them either tomorrow (like on the Friday when they sent in April)...or Monday (as the last batch in June). FINGERS CROSSED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.