Joe Kano

FDIC - $250,000 Limit clarification

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Although not an immigration question your answers can be found on internet and the FDIC website

Read this and watch the videos to know if your bank is insured

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) protects consumers against loss if their bank or thrift institution fails. Not all institutions are insured by the FDIC. Eligible bank accounts are insured up to $250,000 for principal and interest.

28 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Although not an immigration question your answers can be found on internet and the FDIC website

Read this and watch the videos to know if your bank is insured

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) protects consumers against loss if their bank or thrift institution fails. Not all institutions are insured by the FDIC. Eligible bank accounts are insured up to $250,000 for principal and interest.

Immigrants don't have bank accounts?   My wife is going thru the immigration process and I am trying to protect my cash.

So I did read that, here is part I am not up on:  The standard insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category

So is the Account Ownership part, means a saving account and checking account considered two seperate account ownership, or since they are in the same bank it a 250k limit.

If you have a account with two peoples name on it then each person gets 250K, so you get a $500K FDIC insurance.

It's the fine print I am trying to figure out

9 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

How about asking your bank? 

Not open

Plus I want a reliable source as well

A few years ago the bank manager at Bank of America told me it was illegal to carry my pistol concealed in there, which is not true in Texas.

Edited by Joe Kano

8 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

I see a pattern here....

See we are good with immigration stuff here, not necessarily specialized in banking. Just like the bank manager back then wasn't good informed in gun laws but I bet he knows his stuff about banking 😉

Maybe so, but I don't want to go to the bank and rely on one persons opinion or answer, I have found getting independent and non biased answers help me find the real answer. 

I am thinking for a single depositor you are only insured up to 250K per bank.  Regardless of how many accounts you have in that single bank.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

lots of good information on the FDIC website FAQ with links that should answer all your questions:

https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit-insurance/faq/index.html

Timeline
3 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Immigrants don't have bank accounts?   My wife is going thru the immigration process and I am trying to protect my cash.

So I did read that, here is part I am not up on:  The standard insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category

So is the Account Ownership part, means a saving account and checking account considered two seperate account ownership, or since they are in the same bank it a 250k limit.

If you have a account with two peoples name on it then each person gets 250K, so you get a $500K FDIC insurance.

It's the fine print I am trying to figure out

the $250,000 is per account not per person

you should have gotten written papers when you opened the account explaining the bank obligations and requirements

you can put the extra (over the $250,000)   into a separate account / each account is insured 

check 1st to make sure your bank is FDIC  (usually its right on windows and web page , etc  as its a matter of pride to them)

if the bank (or credit union) is not ,  move your money to one that is

the FDIC has a list of all banks insured 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
8 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Not open

Plus I want a reliable source as well

A few years ago the bank manager at Bank of America told me it was illegal to carry my pistol concealed in there, which is not true in Texas.

An internet stranger is not a reliable source when it comes to what your bank may or may not protect.

Your bank manager may not be up to date on gun laws but I am sure he is up to date on bank laws.  

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit-insurance/brochures/insured-deposits/

This site seems like it has good information.

I would also think if you had $500,000, for example, you could do $250,000 at Bank of Anywhere and $250,000 at First National Bank of Anywhere. Alternatively, you could deposit it into my account and I promise I'll keep it safe 😅

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
6 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

the $250,000 is per account not per person

you should have gotten written papers when you opened the account explaining the bank obligations and requirements

you can put the extra (over the $250,000)   into a separate account / each account is insured 

check 1st to make sure your bank is FDIC  (usually its right on windows and web page , etc  as its a matter of pride to them)

if the bank (or credit union) is not ,  move your money to one that is

the FDIC has a list of all banks insured 

It’s 250 per depositor.  So a joint account is 500k

That 250k?  No matter how many accounts its divided into that’s the limit

Add a spouse or use two banks

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

It’s 250 per depositor.  So a joint account is 500k

That 250k?  No matter how many accounts its divided into that’s the limit

Add a spouse or use two banks

i stand corrected

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.