Colbert Report

Just submitted the N-400... how long until I become a citizen?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, I just submitted my N-400.  I believe the next step will be biometrics followed by an interview.  Does anyone know how long the actual wait times for these things are?  I've read online that it can take 12-18 months but my lawyer told me that it is likely far less of a wait.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Please complete your timeline 🙂 you can see the estimated processing times here https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
49 minutes ago, Colbert Report said:

Hello, I just submitted my N-400.  I believe the next step will be biometrics followed by an interview.  Does anyone know how long the actual wait times for these things are?  I've read online that it can take 12-18 months but my lawyer told me that it is likely far less of a wait.

Check your field office no one can tell you how long.  Heck someone just posted today they waited 5 years and finally they just got interview for next month.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

The website says 12-17.5 months, but a friend of mine applied in August and was sworn in about six weeks ago.  The lawyer told me the processing times on the website are far longer than the actual wait times, just so that people aren't phoning all the time to check their case.  Can anyone tell me how accurate the website is when it comes to actual processing times?

It seems as though the biometric appointments are being waived due to covid, which cuts the processing time down significantly.

1 minute ago, Colbert Report said:

The website says 12-17.5 months, but a friend of mine applied in August and was sworn in about six weeks ago.  The lawyer told me the processing times on the website are far longer than the actual wait times, just so that people aren't phoning all the time to check their case.  Can anyone tell me how accurate the website is when it comes to actual processing times?

It seems as though the biometric appointments are being waived due to covid, which cuts the processing time down significantly.

I haven't heard of biometric appointments being waived.  Maybe for people who did one very recently for ROC?

Your lawyer seems to be spewing nonsense.  "Phoning all the time to check their case"?   Do you really think the field offices accept phone calls from people wanting to know when their interview will  be?   LOL.

You haven't done a timeline, so how can anyone tell you how accurate the official processing times are for your particular field office?

Well, a colleague of mine applied in August and was sworn in back in very early March, and his biometric appointment was waived.  A simple google search has led me to understand that it is because of the pandemic that they've been waiving a lot of appointments and just scheduling people for the interview.  I don't know what a "timeline" is.  I've been a permanent resident for five years now, and I sent in the N-400 today.  There are two possible field offices my application can go to, because of a weird zip code I live in that straddles Los Angeles and Los Angeles County.

Los Angeles itself shows a 12-16.5 month wait.

Los Angeles County shows a 13.5-17 month wait.

My lawyer says that most of her clients are getting processed pretty quickly and assured me last week that I'd have an interview by the end of 2021.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Well, you paid for his services. Quiz him based on your research 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
2 hours ago, Colbert Report said:

Well, a colleague of mine applied in August and was sworn in back in very early March, and his biometric appointment was waived.  A simple google search has led me to understand that it is because of the pandemic that they've been waiving a lot of appointments and just scheduling people for the interview.  I don't know what a "timeline" is.  I've been a permanent resident for five years now, and I sent in the N-400 today.  There are two possible field offices my application can go to, because of a weird zip code I live in that straddles Los Angeles and Los Angeles County.

Los Angeles itself shows a 12-16.5 month wait.

Los Angeles County shows a 13.5-17 month wait.

My lawyer says that most of her clients are getting processed pretty quickly and assured me last week that I'd have an interview by the end of 2021.  

It doesn't matter what your lawyers says, each person interview is scheduled on a case by case basis and no one can speed up your process. No one can promise you that your case will be done by 2021, for sure it can happen but not in most busiest Field Offices. If you join a military your case will be fast tracked and you might become a citizen in just few months. Everyone is a different case and you can't compare your case to your friend's. My friends had his application submitted in January 2020, schedule for interview in early August 2020, day before his interview his appointment was cancelled and rescheduled for Feb 2021. Some people are waiting 2-3 even 5 years to get an interview, and a lawyer who says that you will be a US Citizen by the end of 2021 is very full of . Only time will tell and I hope you will get your US Citizenship by the end of 2021. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Our biometrics was not waived.

Processing time on website when we applied was not accurate. Interview “should” have been October but was February.
You can choose what you want to believe 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

My daughter and husband both applied about 2 weeks apart in Nov 2019. My husband interviewed and took oath early Jan this year, my daughter late March. So yes, well over a year is perfectly possible. Apparently North Carolina is pretty fast. A number of others are often more than a year. 

Why do you need a lawyer for n400? Do you have a complicated case?

Edited by SusieQQQ

6 hours ago, Colbert Report said:

Is your lawyer is trying to lead you to believe that her clients get better treatment than anyone else?

@JFHrecently did it (Seattle, not LA).....I believe her case took a couple of years.  Most of the west coast field offices are extremely backed up for all services.

Edited by Jorgedig

9 hours ago, Colbert Report said:

It's really difficult to say, as everyone has pointed out the official posted times are online. Having said that, is it possible that under the new administration that processing time will quicken? It's possible, but whether it will happen or not is anyone's guess. There is some anecdotal information of people having processed sooner but there's so many variables.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.