20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Hi guys, my wife just came back from her Citizenship hearing and after all the smooth sailing we have had from visa process to now, we finally hit a "determination" wall. 

My wife was arrested a few years back because my daughter (her estranged step-daughter) called the cops on her and fabricated a domestic violence case against her. The fight was actually between my daughters and my wife was breaking them up. That one daughter (she has progressive mental illness) went to the precinct and said my wife scratched her and the next thing you know, cops were at the door arresting my wife who spent a night in jail. This is a woman from a upper class family in her country, highly college educated, never seen a jail before so you must know the embarrassment I feel.

Anyway, the case was never prosecuted and it was thrown out AND sealed and we got a disposition stating such, which my wife has used to travel in and out of the U.S 6 times already. We also submitted the ORIGINAL of that disposition with the paperwork, admitting to the arrest by showing proof of the outcome.

Well today, we must have gotten a special officer because he sees the admission of arrest AND the disposition, but he wanted more - he wanted the actual arrest report, partially denied her ("could not make a determination at the moment") and sent her home, telling her to wait for documentation from him on how to submit that.

The arrest happened in New York and we moved to Florida 3 months ago and now it has been HELL trying to get in touch with a competent person in New York to help with this. In fact, all we are getting are voicemails, dead ends and transfers to dead ends. Lawyers are charing $1,500 for the attempt to get it when I've done multiple paperwork for individuals and can do it in my sleep for me to need a lawyer.

The bright side is, he actually signed off on everything telling because she passed everything else with ease, but he cannot yet set a swear in date because he wants THAT arrest record.

Thoughts/advice?  

USCIS Stage

Marriage: 3/21/15

I-130 Sent: 5/03/15

NOA1: 5/08/15

NOA2 (approval): 10/26/15

NVC Stage (CR1)

NVC Received Case: 11/12/15

NVC Scan Date: 12/2/15

Paid AOS fee: 12/04/15

Paid IV fee: 12/04/15

AOS & IV Package sent: 12/16/15

NVC Case Complete: 1/26/16

Interview Date: 4/27/16

Interview Result: Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is what I would expect, they need to dot i's and cross t's.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

It is what I would expect, they need to dot i's and cross t's.

Hmm...

On their application it asks if you were arrested to which the answer was "yes." Then, if I recall, they just asked for documentation showing the outcome, NOT documentation about the arrest itself because the disposition states the reason. He did not even ask because he doubted her, he asked because he implied, he wanted to make sure she was not lying which is weird because people would be more inclined to lie about NOT being arrested.

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage (CR1)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Thomianguy said:

Lawyers are charing $1,500 for the attempt to get it when I've done multiple paperwork for individuals and can do it in my sleep for me to need a lawyer.

I hate to say it but that's honestly not even that bad as far as lawyers go. Some lawyers won't even talk to you for less than $3k-$6k upfront. Unless you can find someone in NY to get all the necessary papers, or maybe considering taking a trip there yourself to collect them, then just go with the lawyer. If they're demanding it, you have to provide it...really no other way around it.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline
2 minutes ago, millefleur said:

I hate to say it but that's honestly not even that bad as far as lawyers go. Some lawyers won't even talk to you for less than $3k-$6k upfront. Unless you can find someone in NY to get all the necessary papers, or maybe considering taking a trip there yourself to collect them, then just go with the lawyer. If they're demanding it, you have to provide it...really no other way around it.

That will be difficult, travelling to NY is very limited due to Covid.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Excellent!

Could not make a determination means they need to investigate it further - that’s all. He felt he needed more information. People get this even without any arrests etc, sometimes just so a supervisor can look over the case. It just sounds like he needs to check a box or two before he can officially approve the case.

By the way, being upper class and college educated does not prevent people from instigating domestic violence. (I have to say I found that sentence in your post quite strange.) I hope both that your wife gets her citizenship and that you manage to repair the relationship with your daughter, especially if she has a mental illness that needs to be treated. Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Thomianguy said:

Hi guys, my wife just came back from her Citizenship hearing and after all the smooth sailing we have had from visa process to now, we finally hit a "determination" wall. 

My wife was arrested a few years back because my daughter (her estranged step-daughter) called the cops on her and fabricated a domestic violence case against her. The fight was actually between my daughters and my wife was breaking them up. That one daughter (she has progressive mental illness) went to the precinct and said my wife scratched her and the next thing you know, cops were at the door arresting my wife who spent a night in jail. This is a woman from a upper class family in her country, highly college educated, never seen a jail before so you must know the embarrassment I feel.

Anyway, the case was never prosecuted and it was thrown out AND sealed and we got a disposition stating such, which my wife has used to travel in and out of the U.S 6 times already. We also submitted the ORIGINAL of that disposition with the paperwork, admitting to the arrest by showing proof of the outcome.

Well today, we must have gotten a special officer because he sees the admission of arrest AND the disposition, but he wanted more - he wanted the actual arrest report, partially denied her ("could not make a determination at the moment") and sent her home, telling her to wait for documentation from him on how to submit that.

The arrest happened in New York and we moved to Florida 3 months ago and now it has been HELL trying to get in touch with a competent person in New York to help with this. In fact, all we are getting are voicemails, dead ends and transfers to dead ends. Lawyers are charing $1,500 for the attempt to get it when I've done multiple paperwork for individuals and can do it in my sleep for me to need a lawyer.

The bright side is, he actually signed off on everything telling because she passed everything else with ease, but he cannot yet set a swear in date because he wants THAT arrest record.

Thoughts/advice?  

well i know the case was dismissed but how long ago did this happen? if its in the statutory period the officer has discretion to approve or deny the application. Most of the time if the case was dismissed the interviewing officer need police report for the incident. I hope its a approval for your wife.

Edited by Fahad86

Timeline
2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Could not make a determination means they need to investigate it further - that’s all. He felt he needed more information. People get this even without any arrests etc, sometimes just so a supervisor can look over the case. It just sounds like he needs to check a box or two before he can officially approve the case.

By the way, being upper class and college educated does not prevent people from instigating domestic violence. (I have to say I found that sentence in your post quite strange.) I hope both that your wife gets her citizenship and that you manage to repair the relationship with your daughter, especially if she has a mental illness that needs to be treated. Good luck.

I added that part NOT to say that educated, middle and upper class cannot be violent (I know better), but to point out that she has never seen the inside of a jail and her family's status in her country would see her being in a foreign jail as unthinkable. Of course, for me, it was highly embarrassing as it was for her family to have found out as I felt embarrassed to know she had to endure such humiliation because of my daughter.  

Thank you for your well wishes and my daughter has spiraled even more out of control, but she is on her own but wrecking lives all over the place. It's been a massive undertaking reigning her in and it hurts, but in relation to this status, the officer knows none of this to make good judgment and just sees and arrest. AS my wife pointed out, if the case was dismissed, how and when can she prove to an immigration officer what a judge ruled on other than through a piece of paper that provides no detail to the nature of what really happened? The interesting thing is, now that I think of it, we not only submitted the disposition; we also submitted a letter of explanation  to do just that so that they would have some context. Apparently, that may not have been enough or maybe in the long run, it may.

I forgot to mention that this situation happened way back in early 2016. It was not recent. Since then, we have had a baby, a rather blissful marriage, been to Guyana 2 times and the Virgin Islands (where I am from), 4 times, moved to a house in Florida and building a business together. Very productive marriage life. 

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage (CR1)

Timeline
2 hours ago, Fahad86 said:

well i know the case was dismissed but how long ago did this happen? if its in the statutory period the officer has discretion to approve or deny the application. Most of the time if the case was dismissed the interviewing officer need police report for the incident. I hope its a approval for your wife.

Thank you. 

This was in early 2016. 

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage (CR1)

6 hours ago, Thomianguy said:

Thoughts/advice?  

I'm confused - you're surprised that they want a copy of the arrest record?

38 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Oh good point. The n400 instructions do say it must be brought.

G. Arrests/Convictions. If you have ever been arrested or detained anywhere in the world, by any law enforcement officer, for any reason, and no charges were filed, bring:
(1) An original or court-certified arrest report; and
(2) An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court confirming that no charges were filed.
If you have ever been arrested or detained anywhere in the world, by any law enforcement officer, for any reason, and charges were filed, bring:
(1) Certified photocopies of all arrest reports, charging documents, court dispositions, sentencing reports, and any other relevant documents.
(2) You may include any additional evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrests or convictions that you would like USCIS to consider.
(3) If you were placed on probation, you must provide evidence to show that you completed your probationary sentence.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Yes, I am, but I see that SusieQQQ included a some information that shows I made a HUGE oversight. I saw that portion on the documents, but I completely missed the part where they ALSO wanted the arrest report. I think my mind went ahead of me thinking they want you to be honest and ADMIT that you were arrested (hence the question), but PROVIDE proof of the outcome. It only seemed logical to me, but I now see I completely gaffed on that.

Forgive me for this status. I see my mind just got ahead of me and I find it rather curious they never sent back a request for MORE information, rather than wait for the interview to do this.

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage (CR1)

19 minutes ago, Thomianguy said:

Forgive me for this status. I see my mind just got ahead of me and I find it rather curious they never sent back a request for MORE information, rather than wait for the interview to do this.

That bit is easy to answer - they expect most documents to be brought to interview rather than submitted in advance.  It is listed under “Below is a list of documents to bring with you to your Form N-400 interview”. Very few documents need to be submitted with the actual application, so no need for RFE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.