Hilde

New Covid19 travel ban on South Africa, U.K. and Brazil (Jan 24)

67 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

As expected, here’s the new travel ban:

President Joe Biden will sign a travel ban Monday on most non-U.S. citizens entering the country who were recently in South Africa, where a new strain of Covid-19 has been identified, a person familiar with the situation told CNBC.

Biden will also reinstate travel restrictions on the entry of non-U.S. citizens from the U.K. and Brazil, where new Covid strains have emerged. The restrictions will also apply to Ireland and much of Europe. Former President Donald Trump had rescinded the restrictions just before Biden took office.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/24/biden-to-sign-south-africa-travel-ban-to-slow-spread-of-new-covid-19-strain-.html

27 minutes ago, emma24 said:

Embassies are using the ban as an excuse to not process. 

Hopefully they stop using that excuse. The proclamations are explicitly only about entry to the US, per the law.

Consular posts can easily annotate visas with info stating whether or not the traveler is subject to the relevant COVID proclamation:

Until we see the actual text of Biden’s Presidential Proclamation, nothing is certain. I’m sure visitor visas won’t be exempt, but we don’t know for certain if there will be changes to exempt other visa categories.  Based on the Reuters Article, I doubt there will be any changes, but there’s still a chance. Fingers crossed for tomorrow, but not getting my hopes up.

Here it is 

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Until we see the actual text of Biden’s Presidential Proclamation, nothing is certain. I’m sure visitor visas won’t be exempt, but we don’t know for certain if there will be changes to exempt other visa categories.  Based on the Reuters Article, I doubt there will be any changes, but there’s still a chance. Fingers crossed for tomorrow, but not getting my hopes up.

most likely the same ban as Trump but now everyone entering has to get a test to even board the plane. There goes airlines to Bankwuptcy. Good time to start a Covid Testing Deli at the biggest airports across the world.

duh

Timeline
8 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

Here it is 

most likely the same ban as Trump but now everyone entering has to get a test to even board the plane. There goes airlines to Bankwuptcy. Good time to start a Covid Testing Deli at the biggest airports across the world.

Testing and quarantine. I think he just hasn't said how long of a quarantine is required

• Captain Ewok changed the title to New Covid19 travel ban on South Africa, U.K. and Brazil (Jan 24)
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
2 hours ago, HRQX said:

Hopefully they stop using that excuse. The proclamations are explicitly only about entry to the US, per the law.

That’s the only bit of hope I have left. 

1 hour ago, igoyougoduke said:

Here it is 

Airlines for America, the primary industry group representing airline businesses, endorsed the plan to require COVID tests.

2 hours ago, Chauncey said:

Testing and quarantine. I think he just hasn't said how long of a quarantine is required

He said 10 days in the executive order.

50 minutes ago, thebob said:

Airlines for America, the primary industry group representing airline businesses, endorsed the plan to require COVID tests.

they will endorse anything that will get people to fly thought. its a business. Reality is people are not flying unless exceptional needs .

Edited by igoyougoduke

duh

4 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

He said 10 days in the executive order.

without a plan as to how they will monitor people stay home for 10 days, this plan is just rubbish. Other countries that have successfully eliminated COVID like Singapore have follow up from Police frequently so people stay at homes. 

duh

Timeline
1 hour ago, igoyougoduke said:

without a plan as to how they will monitor people stay home for 10 days, this plan is just rubbish. Other countries that have successfully eliminated COVID like Singapore have follow up from Police frequently so people stay at homes. 

That is what I'm wondering about. How will they actually know if you do quarantine? People have to go back to work...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.