Greenbaum

Air travelers will need negative Covid test to enter US

83 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

New York does.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Bob in Boston said:

I guess, i believe you have to test negitive just to fly out.

Yes, this is correct. 

Airlines will refuse to board anyone who is unable to present a negative test or who (unluckily) tests positive, if the transit or final destination requires proof of a negative COVID test for incoming travellers. 

5 hours ago, millefleur said:

Yeah, that was my question. Would a country have a right to bar entry to a citizen merely because they have a positive Covid test? Where would they even go otherwise?

The US can't deny entry to its citizens, but the US can still prosecute. Yesterday's order is still not available on the Federal Register; it can take a few days for it to be available there. But we can read the CDC's UK order and foresee what yesterday's order might say. The CDC's UK order says:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s1224-CDC-to-require-negative-test.html

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/12/31/2020-28981/requirement-for-negative-pre-departure-covid-19-test-result-for-all-airline-passengers-arriving-into

Under United States federal law, each passenger must provide this attestation. Failure to provide this attestation, or submitting false or misleading information, could result in delay of travel, denial of boarding, denial of boarding on future travel, or put the passenger or other individuals at risk of harm, including serious bodily injury or death. Any passenger who fails to comply with these requirements may be subject to criminal penalties under, among others, 42 U.S.C. 271 and 42 CFR 71.2, in conjunction with 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571. Willfully providing false or misleading information may lead to criminal fines and imprisonment under, among others, 18 U.S.C. 1001. Providing this information can help protect you, your friends and family, your communities, and the United States. CDC appreciates your cooperation.

Edited by HRQX

3 hours ago, millefleur said:

Right, so the idea would be just quarantine where you are until you test negative?

And the issue then is...where do you quarantine? If you were on vacation which hotel will let you in to quarantine after a postpone COVID test? You’re going to be treated like Public Enemy No 1. Not so bad if you live n the country you are leaving from, you can stay at home. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

13 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

I am looking at the map to see when I can get my first injection......I'm an old codger, so I qualify now.

You can probably get it at the VA if you use them. I use the Atlanta VA and am waiting patiently. 

1 hour ago, JFH said:

And the issue then is...where do you quarantine? If you were on vacation which hotel will let you in to quarantine after a postpone COVID test? You’re going to be treated like Public Enemy No 1. Not so bad if you live n the country you are leaving from, you can stay at home. 

I've had coworkers who needed to travel internationally for valid work reasons. Due to the nature of their work, there have been a few cases of the following happening: 

Citizen of Country A needed to travel between Country B and C for work.  Unfortunately, right before taking the flight from Country B to Country C, they tested positive for COVID. They had no choice but to stay in Country B, quarantine in a government-mandated facility for 2 weeks and get a second COVID test before being allowed to travel to Country C. Our employer paid for all the expenses, but it was a real hassle.

4 hours ago, Diane and Chris said:

You can probably get it at the VA if you use them. I use the Atlanta VA and am waiting patiently. 

I'm waiting for the Durham NC VA but in a discussion with a staff member and the information they are distributing via email updates, they are following CDC rollout guidelines and only inoculating phase 1 and 1b. Those would-be frontline staff and anyone who is suffering from an acute disease and those over 75 years of age. Once that has been met then they will go into phase 2 which includes those older than 65.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

8 hours ago, HRQX said:

and foresee what yesterday's order might say.

@millefleur I found it. The relevant paragraph is exactly the same:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/attachment-a-global-passenger-disclosure-and-attestation-2021-01-12-p.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-proof-negative-test.html

20 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Agree 100%.  Maybe they will start exempting travelers who have received the vaccine soon......hopefully.

Why exempt when the vaccine only makes sure the recipient has lesser symptoms. It doesn’t prevent transmission of COVID or even getting it. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
2 minutes ago, wulffman89 said:

Will this replace the EU/Schengen ban? I mean, it seems a bit crazy to have the Schengen ban AND this test

Do not the Netherlands require a double test?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Do not the Netherlands require a double test?

One negative test within 72 hours to enter The Netherlands. Basically the same rule as with entering the US in the near future (or even for all US passengers to Hawaii... same thing).

I just wonder if the regular travel ban between EU-US will dissolve, since that ban seems to be useless if you start mandating tests.

9 minutes ago, wulffman89 said:

One negative test within 72 hours to enter The Netherlands. Basically the same rule as with entering the US in the near future (or even for all US passengers to Hawaii... same thing).

I just wonder if the regular travel ban between EU-US will dissolve, since that ban seems to be useless if you start mandating tests.

I think this is the intent on the CDC website but we'll have to wait for the next president 

Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.