nikki1992

Leaving the US

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi! 

I was wondering if anyone knows what my options are in regards to keeping my permanent residency and for how long given the circumstances below...

My 2-year greencard expires in June 2021 but my husband and I are thinking of moving to the U.K. for personal reasons in March 2021. Ideally I’d like to keep my permanent residency for as long as possible incase anything happens in which we need to come back to the US ASAP. But I understand that I would eventually have to give it up since I wouldn’t be a resident anymore.

Since we would be moving to the U.K. before putting in the ROC application what are my options? How long can I remain a permanent resident or will it end in June 2021 when my 2-year greencard expires? Is it worth applying for the ROC from the U.K. (can I even do that)?

I'm not sure about the proper mechanics in terms of filing ROC when someone already knows that they plan to stay outside of the US for an extended period of time or the number of days for a GC holder to be out of the US causing USCIS to constitute it as abandonment of permanent residence.

Definitely look into things like abandonment of permanent residence, continuous presence and physical presence. The first one will affect permanent residence while all three will affect your naturalization if you're thinking about applying N-400 as a result of the marriage and through whatever status you currently have. 

All the best and I'm sure someone who is more well versed would be able to provide you with the specifics :)

Screenshot_20201211-065823.png

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@nikki1992
Do you meet all the requirements to bring a spouse to live, work, and have NHS in the UK? Will you have to hold a UK job 6 months first or do you have the cash saved to sponsor. There’s lots to look at on the other side too if you haven’t. Sorry the timing is making your need to move by a specific date so challenging. Good luck. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

@nikki1992
Do you meet all the requirements to bring a spouse to live, work, and have NHS in the UK? Will you have to hold a UK job 6 months first or do you have the cash saved to sponsor. There’s lots to look at on the other side too if you haven’t. Sorry the timing is making your need to move by a specific date so challenging. Good luck. 

Yes we meet all the requirements for the U.K. spouse visa including the cash savings. 

I just wasn’t sure what happens with my greencard. It’s unlikely we would need to move back to the US but I’m just hoping to keep it as long as possible incase there is a need to come back and we don’t have time to wait for the visa to be approved again. 

1 hour ago, KULtoATL said:

I'm not sure about the proper mechanics in terms of filing ROC when someone already knows that they plan to stay outside of the US for an extended period of time or the number of days for a GC holder to be out of the US causing USCIS to constitute it as abandonment of permanent residence.

Definitely look into things like abandonment of permanent residence, continuous presence and physical presence. The first one will affect permanent residence while all three will affect your naturalization if you're thinking about applying N-400 as a result of the marriage and through whatever status you currently have. 

All the best and I'm sure someone who is more well versed would be able to provide you with the specifics :)

Screenshot_20201211-065823.png

Thank you, I’ll have a look into this 😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you remain out of the USA for more than 180 days without reentry permit will trigger immigration to question whether or not you have effectively abandoned your residency, if you out for a year you will have abandon it. With a 10 year green card a reentry permit would allow you to maintain LPR status for like 3 years outside of the USA.

But you need to be in the USA when your conditional green card expires to file an i751 petition to get extension letter or to obtain a i551 stamp. Note re entry permits do not extend your stay abroad beyond the expiration date of your conditional green card even with an extension letter or i551 stamp.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Timeline
6 minutes ago, da95826 said:

If you remain out of the USA for more than 180 days without reentry permit will trigger immigration to question whether or not you have effectively abandoned your residency, if you out for a year you will have abandon it. With a 10 year green card a reentry permit would allow you to maintain LPR status for like 3 years outside of the USA.

But you need to be in the USA when your conditional green card expires to file an i751 petition to get extension letter or to obtain a i551 stamp. Note re entry permits do not extend your stay abroad beyond the expiration date of your conditional green card even with an extension letter or i551 stamp.

Ok that’s good information. I’ll probably have to abandon it then. Thanks for the help!

4 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

Ok that’s good information. I’ll probably have to abandon it then. Thanks for the help!

Any possibility for you to stay and file for I-751 first? Cause if you abandon your current GC, your husband will need to file I-130 for you from scratch when you guys want to return here permanently :(

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

Timeline
1 hour ago, KULtoATL said:

Any possibility for you to stay and file for I-751 first? Cause if you abandon your current GC, your husband will need to file I-130 for you from scratch when you guys want to return here permanently :(

No not really. We would have to delay by a year because of how long it takes to process etc. 

Currently we don’t plan on returning to the US permanently anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem but I was just thinking in the short term it would be good to know how long I can keep it for just incase 😊

39 minutes ago, nikki1992 said:

No not really. We would have to delay by a year because of how long it takes to process etc. 

Currently we don’t plan on returning to the US permanently anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem but I was just thinking in the short term it would be good to know how long I can keep it for just incase 😊

Ok. I wish you and your husband the best :) Safe travels back to the UK!

If at all possible I would stay here until you can get citizenship then you can come and go between the UK and the US as you wish. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would wait till you have had your green card for 3 years, then apply for citizenship. Then if you need to return to USA, you wont have any issues. 

This is my plan. I filled for citizenship today! but have been eligible since 2017. 

N-400 Citizenship

Date mail out application: December 11th 2020

Date received application: December 22nd 2020

NOA1: January 14th 2021 

Fee Waiver: Approved 

Biometrics Reuse Letter: February 12th 2021

event.png

She is saying that they have to leave asap and people advice her to wait for 3 years and apply for citizenship just because their dream(the advisers) is to be a citizen...

She was very clear about their intention to move to UK for a long time, possible for life.

So go back and if indeed you decide to continue there, surrender you GC. By doing that, in the future, you can reapply for a new visa/GC.

3 hours ago, nikki1992 said:

You could apply for ROC abroad but then you'd have to return for biometrics and possible interview.  You'd also likely be best for applying for a return permit that allows you to stay outside the USA for 2 years.  However you may be just best to give up the ghost and reapply if you ever move back.  Not having the green card will mean you don't have to file US tax returns (your USC spouse still will need to do this as will your USC children once they start working.)  You can always visit with ESTA provided you didn't AOS

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 hours ago, H.Angy said:

She is saying that they have to leave asap and people advice her to wait for 3 years and apply for citizenship just because their dream(the advisers) is to be a citizen...

She was very clear about their intention to move to UK for a long time, possible for life.

So go back and if indeed you decide to continue there, surrender you GC. By doing that, in the future, you can reapply for a new visa/GC.

Thank you haha.

Yeah that’s likely what we’ll do. Will just have to reapply if/when we need to come back to the US. 

2 hours ago, NikLR said:

You could apply for ROC abroad but then you'd have to return for biometrics and possible interview.  You'd also likely be best for applying for a return permit that allows you to stay outside the USA for 2 years.  However you may be just best to give up the ghost and reapply if you ever move back.  Not having the green card will mean you don't have to file US tax returns (your USC spouse still will need to do this as will your USC children once they start working.)  You can always visit with ESTA provided you didn't AOS

That’s a good point about not having to file taxes in the US! I hadn’t thought of that!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.