jack peter

Marry with housemate and then long distance, marriage bona fide?

29 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, jack peter said:

Love between friends? Marriage has to be for love? I suppose in many cases it's not ...

Love between friends is nothing like love between spouses. Nothing. You can't marry a friend for immigration purposes, that's actual fraud. 

Some people marry in arranged marriages because it's common in their culture but they still intend to be actually married and be a real couple. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Why is this fraud? It is only fraud when marrying for the purpose of immigration. In his case it is only one of the reasons so it is not fraud. 

The only possible fraud is if they left and returned on a nonimmigrant visa (without dual intent) with the purpose of adjusting status.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

1 minute ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Why is this fraud? It is only fraud when marrying for the purpose of immigration. In his case it is only one of the reasons so it is not fraud. 

The only possible fraud is if they left and returned on a nonimmigrant visa (without dual intent) with the purpose of adjusting status.

Because they're not in a relationship. It looks like they're friends and the friend wants to help OP with immigration but they're not an actual couple and have no intention of having an actual marriage. 

8 minutes ago, jack peter said:

What if we ARE in a relationship?

You would have said that immediately. Nobody in a legitimate relationship refers to their significant other as their "friend/housemate".

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Also, to add what others said: is your housemate aware of the economic responsabilities of sponsoring a spouse? When filling the Affavadit of Support the USC is commiting to support you for the next 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Isn't this the exact plot of the old movie Green Card with Andie McDowell and Gerard Depardieu?

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
16 hours ago, jack peter said:

I'm planning to get marriage with a close friend/housemate I've lived with for three months. Not solely for the visa purpose, but it is a big reason.

The problem is: I'm going back to my country in late November, and would stay there for more than one year for work while applying for the CR-1/IR-1 visa.

Is this considered a red flag? What should we do to prove that our marriage is bona fide? I'm from East Asia and my country probably does not have many marriage frauds.

She will probably visit me 1 time during the year, while I may come back 2-3 times for work.

We could prepare the following documents:

• Joint bank account statements  
  • Joint car
  • Wedding photos
  • Dating/visit photos
  • Photos with family
  • Contact records (messenger, phone call, etc)

If applying for CR-1/IR-1 seems too risky, would coming back after two years and apply for change of status in the US be a better choice?

I'm not that worried about when I could come back, but whether I could come back.

"Not solely for the visa purpose, but it is a big reason.     F R A U D

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

16 hours ago, HRQX said:

No. Entering with B-2, ESTA, F-1, etc. and having preconceived intent to AOS is immigration fraud.

As is marrying for the purpose of getting an immigration benefit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Thread locked for TOS Violation - Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method. The legal path has been listed above. Do not restart this thread in any shape or form.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.