Karan Mehta

Entry in US & Green Card Info

49 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi All,

I would like to give some background about my case and I am seeking help.

Background

Marriage Date - 17th Dec 2017 [Marriage happened in India]

VISA Issued - CR1 [on 30th Oct 2019]

Date of Entry in the US - 23rd Dec 2019 [More than 2 Years of Marriage - thus requested IR1 Green Card, and the officer accepted the request]

Green Card - Ideally IR1 type for 10 years [basis my conversation with the VISA officer - Not sure - as I never received it)

Date of return to India - 27th Jan 2020 [not getting along with wife and her family, they treated me very badly]

Date of delivery of Green Card - 3rd April 2020 [I tracked it using the Receipt Number and also my USCIS account. Though I never received it - it went to the US address of my in-laws and spouse and they aren't willing to give it to me]

Background - I got married on 17th Dec 2017 to a US Citizen in India. We applied for immigration visa and my VISA got issued on 30th Oct 2019 (It was a CR1 Visa type). I entered the US with the point of entry being San Francisco Airport on 23rd Dec 2019 (2+ years after getting married)

NOTE: Since my marriage had completed 2+ years when I entered the US; I informed the officer that my marriage has past 2 years and if he could issue an IR1 visa (which he acknowledged) and mentioned to me that he has made changes in his notes so that I receive an IR1 Green card only (Green Card applicable for 10 Years - no dependency on the spouse). He confirmed to me that I will receive an IR1 visa only.

However, I wasn't getting along with my wife from the beginning so I couldn't stay at their place for long as it was suffocating, and I came back to India on 27th Jan 2020 (stayed for almost a month in the US) and we had also applied for Divorce during this time in the US only. The divorce case is still under process and would take around 2-3 months to complete.

My Green card was delivered on 3rd April 2020. I spoke to my father in law about sending me the green card and he denied (saying he doesn't know if any GC came or not). Basically, he doesn't want to give it to me and insinuating that its lost (as it was delivered basis the receipt number and USCIS account). 

QUESTIONS:

I plan to enter the US in October 2020.

1. Can I enter the US just with my passport? The VISA only my passport says "upon endorsement, serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year"When I entered San Francisco, it was stamped with the Dept of Homeland Security and US Customs and Border "Admitted SFR" Stamp on 23rd Dec 2019.
2. If yes, can I enter Houston or I have to enter via SFO only? My choice is Houston as my uncle is there.
3. What questions will the immigration officer will ask? And how should I approach those questions? [This is important - so please let me know all the types of questions they will ask and what should be my approach]
4. As per the information provided. Which VISA TYPE will be issued? CR1 or IR1? Can the "Class of Admission" be checked OR found out [CR1 or IR1]? I need to add this information in I-90 form which I will apply immediately after I enter the US.

@Paul & Mary @pushbrk @Dashinka @Luckycuds @Lemonslice @payxibka @Jorgedig @JFH @Wuozopo - Request you to have a look and help, please!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

1. Yes, you should as the endowed visa functions as a temporary GC.

2.  Any POE will be fine

3.  Hard to say what questions will be asked.  Usually just the standard where have you been, maybe some others regarding Covid.  Regardless all questions have to be answered truthfully.

4.  You are an LPR so there is no visa in this case.

Hopefully you have the ability to get your physical GC when you get back to the US.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

No issue - once the visa is endorsed then the visa class isn't really relevant at the POE for reentry

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

There will be no visa as you are already an LPR. Any POE is fine - fly to the one that suits your budget and your travel plans best.

Likely you will be asked where you have been and for how long. These are normal questions for anyone entering the country. Expect to be asked about COVID symptoms also. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

@Dashinka @Paul & Mary @JFH - thank you for your replies guys, very helpful. I am attaching my VISA in this response and have blanked out a few details. I want you to please have a look and let me know if this is a valid endorsement? As this has only a stamp from Dept of Homeland Security and US Customs and Border and it mentions "Admitted SFR" on 23rd Dec 2019

Does this considered as ENDORSED? I am confused on this, thus asking.

VISA_Edited.thumb.jpg.631e82df69e8af50ebe2f427101828bd.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, Karan Mehta said:

@Dashinka @Paul & Mary @JFH - thank you for your replies guys, very helpful. I am attaching my VISA in this response and have blanked out a few details. I want you to please have a look and let me know if this is a valid endorsement? As this has only a stamp from Dept of Homeland Security and US Customs and Border and it mentions "Admitted SFR" on 23rd Dec 2019

Does this considered as ENDORSED? I am confused on this, thus asking.

VISA_Edited.thumb.jpg.631e82df69e8af50ebe2f427101828bd.jpg

Yes 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

When you get back, file a request for a replacement green card and have it sent to you new address.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I just got off call with a USCIS representative. I asked her what was the Category on the Green Card OR if she could find 'Class of Admission'. She said she is unable to find any information like that in the tools she has. I told her that the officer confirmed that I will be issued an IR1, she said then you can enter IR1 in the Form I-90.

If USCIS doesn't have the information, then how could I find this information. I may be overthinking, but I don't want it to be rejected for reasons like this and also don't want to delay entering the US (no later than October 2020).

@Paul & Mary @pushbrk @Dashinka @Luckycuds @Lemonslice @payxibka @Jorgedig @JFH @Wuozopo - What would you suggest me?

5 minutes ago, Karan Mehta said:

I just got off call with a USCIS representative. I asked her what was the Category on the Green Card OR if she could find 'Class of Admission'. She said she is unable to find any information like that in the tools she has. I told her that the officer confirmed that I will be issued an IR1, she said then you can enter IR1 in the Form I-90.

If USCIS doesn't have the information, then how could I find this information. I may be overthinking, but I don't want it to be rejected for reasons like this and also don't want to delay entering the US (no later than October 2020).

@Paul & Mary @pushbrk @Dashinka @Luckycuds @Lemonslice @payxibka @Jorgedig @JFH @Wuozopo - What would you suggest me?

I wouldn’t worry about the fact she couldn’t see such information. The call handlers have limited information in front of them. They are not the same people who actually process cases, issue GCs, etc. They can only access the same information that we can see online (maybe this is for data protection reasons?) and can perform basic tasks like re-send notices that were not received. The people who action the I-90s have far more information about your case at their disposal. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Yes, I would if I were you. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to Working and Traveling, from IR1/CR1 P&P - as the OP has already entered the US, and is now traveling.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I have arrived in the US, thanks for all your help. I am now filling up the form I-90 for my lost GC (I never received it and the packet which was delivered to my in-laws is lost). I have question while filling up the I-90.

- On what date did you become a permanent resident?

I never saw the Green Card. And I first entered the US on 23rd Dec 2019. The visa got issued on 30th Oct 2019. What date should be put for the above question?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Karan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Karan Mehta said:

I have arrived in the US, thanks for all your help. I am now filling up the form I-90 for my lost GC (I never received it and the packet which was delivered to my in-laws is lost). I have question while filling up the I-90.

- On what date did you become a permanent resident?

I never saw the Green Card. And I first entered the US on 23rd Dec 2019. The visa got issued on 30th Oct 2019. What date should be put for the above question?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Karan

23rd Dec 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.