Derek Scheyer

Not having a job during K1 Interview

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys! My fiance and I are having a tough time during this covid situation as is most everyone else I'm sure. At a normal pace we should be getting pretty close to our interview stage and at this point we've used up all of our vacation pay for visits and didnt plan on doing any more. Also Canada has the 2 week quarantine in place so each time we want to visit its an entire month off work. We were thinking of her just coming to visit for like 4-6 months but were not sure if she would pass the interview for not having a job. Shes had her job for 9 years and has about 15k+ in her savings. Any thoughts on what we could do?

Timeline
1 minute ago, powerpuff said:

Having a job is not a requirement to pass an interview. She’s bringing the affidavit of support with her which should be sufficient (assuming your income meets the requirements).

That's good news! I was under the impression that the new Public Charge rules would make her not having a job seem like a big negative. At least all the videos I watched about public charge made it seem that way.

5 minutes ago, Derek Scheyer said:

That's good news! I was under the impression that the new Public Charge rules would make her not having a job seem like a big negative. At least all the videos I watched about public charge made it seem that way.

I think you’re talking about form I-944 (Declaration of self sufficiency) which is filed with the AOS package after your fiancé gets to the US and you guys get married. She’d be unemployed at that moment anyway because she wouldn’t yet have the EAD. I don’t think the gap in employment would be problematic if she comes visits you because they take into account the totality of circumstances and considering your fiancé’s employment history, she should be fine :)

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You are likely at least 10 months away from an interview and this assumes a quick resumption of visa services, which doesn't seem likely at the moment 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
11 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You are likely at least 10 months away from an interview and this assumes a quick resumption of visa services, which doesn't seem likely at the moment 

Why would it be 10 months? Sometimes I feel like we should have filed for the spousal visa but everywhere it said the K1 visa would be quicker. We would already be married right now and the only reason we aren't is because we wanted to be together faster. =/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Derek Scheyer said:

Why would it be 10 months? Sometimes I feel like we should have filed for the spousal visa but everywhere it said the K1 visa would be quicker. We would already be married right now and the only reason we aren't is because we wanted to be together faster. =/

Montreal had a six month backlog for regardless of visa type before covid.  Now its just getting longer.

YMMV

Timeline
8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Montreal had a six month backlog for regardless of visa type before covid.  Now its just getting longer.

Well that is discouraging =/ At least i'm not alone.

5 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

Sometimes I feel like we should have filed for the spousal visa but everywhere it said the K1 visa would be quicker.

No one could have predicted the impact of Covid.  The interview back up at Montreal would be the same for a spousal visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
12 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

Hey guys! My fiance and I are having a tough time during this covid situation as is most everyone else I'm sure. At a normal pace we should be getting pretty close to our interview stage and at this point we've used up all of our vacation pay for visits and didnt plan on doing any more. Also Canada has the 2 week quarantine in place so each time we want to visit its an entire month off work. We were thinking of her just coming to visit for like 4-6 months but were not sure if she would pass the interview for not having a job. Shes had her job for 9 years and has about 15k+ in her savings. Any thoughts on what we could do?

Your fiancé needs enough income or assets to support you. 15k in the bank isn’t going to cut it if she becomes unemployed. Do you have a joint sponsor lined up? Otherwise her quitting her job is a bad idea.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I believe the OP's fiance is the beneficiary - Canadian.  Correct?  If so, her having a job or not has no real impact for the K1 visa.  The OP would need a job with 100% poverty line minimum for the I-134 at the time of her interview.

15 hours ago, payxibka said:

The back log was for CR1/IR1 and other IV visas, but not for k1, But there will be a significant backlog for K1 once Montreal resumes interviews. :( 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
29 minutes ago, NikLR said:

The back log was for CR1/IR1 and other IV visas, but not for k1, But there will be a significant backlog for K1 once Montreal resumes interviews. :( 

So the backlog for K1 won't be AS long as 10 months? Speculatively

The beneficiary doesn't need to have a job. The sponsor does.

Yes, most embassies have been closed with a very significant backlog once things reopen. The original timeline will not be realistic at this time, unfortunately, since many services have not been operating.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
20 hours ago, payxibka said:

What makes you say 10 months?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.