LibbyG99

Will Merit-Based Immigration Affect K-1s?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

He has been talking about changing to a merit-based immigration system since at least 2017. There's obviously no guarantee at this point, but it looks as though his idea of a merit-based system is mostly targeted toward work visas, as described on the White House website's article posted after the work visa EO was announced (https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-putting-american-workers-first-restore-economy-greatness/). It specifically mentions the move to a merit-based system as "taking action to reform our H-1B immigration program." 

Again, this is no guarantee that K1s wouldn't be affected if there were such a change, but it doesn't seem as though that would be their focus. Unfortunately, this is another "wait and see" situation.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
Just now, xxlian said:

He has been talking about changing to a merit-based immigration system since at least 2017. There's obviously no guarantee at this point, but it looks as though his idea of a merit-based system is mostly targeted toward work visas, as described on the White House website's article posted after the work visa EO was announced (https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trump-putting-american-workers-first-restore-economy-greatness/). It specifically mentions the move to a merit-based system as "taking action to reform our H-1B immigration program." 

Again, this is no guarantee that K1s wouldn't be affected if there were such a change, but it doesn't seem as though that would be their focus. Unfortunately, this is another "wait and see" situation.

Thanks for calming my fears at least

1 hour ago, xxlian said:

Congress hasnt passed an immigration bill for 25 years. So if you need to chill.. read that again. Congress track record and interest to change status quo is zero. Silly donald think he is a king and. can pass EO for citizenship. 

Edited by James120383

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
10 minutes ago, James120383 said:

Congress hasnt passed an immigration bill for 25 years. So if you need to chill.. read that again. Congress track record and interest to change status quo is zero. Silly donald think he is a king and. can pass EO for citizenship. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be the federal courts that shut it down, not congress?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 minutes ago, LibbyG99 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be the federal courts that shut it down, not congress?

Congress is in charge of DOS and therefore the laws that govern immigration and although they all state there are problems with illegal and legal immigration, they have yet to appoint  a subcommittee to study the issues and make any changes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, JeanneAdil said:

Congress is in charge of DOS and therefore the laws that govern immigration and although they all state there are problems with illegal and legal immigration, they have yet to appoint  a subcommittee to study the issues and make any changes.

The President is in charge of the DOS.  

YMMV

3 hours ago, LibbyG99 said:

Trump is talking about an EO with merit based immigration. Will that affect K-1 visas?

You know under Merit based immigration systems people can still petition their fiance, spouses, and children right? You just wouldn't be able to petition your parents and/or siblings. That is how other countries like Australia and Canada do it. 

2 hours ago, LibbyG99 said:

A federal court would have to shut down an EO that goes beyond the limits of what the law allows.

Congress would have to pass a law to eliminate or create new visa categories - or change the requirements for existing ones - like any sort of merit-based system would require.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You know under Merit based immigration systems people can still petition their fiance, spouses, and children right? You just wouldn't be able to petition your parents and/or siblings. That is how other countries like Australia and Canada do it. 

Depends entirely on how it is written.  The laws in other countries are not precedent for changes to laws in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.