UsFin

Including WhatsApp etc messages?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

Hi guys,

we are in the process of submitting the i-130 online and doing the consular processing since my husband lives in the States and I'm still in Finland. I've read a lot of posts about couples including WhatsApp/Facebook/Skype/email messages as supporting evidence in their i-130s. How necessary is this? My husband and I first met back in 2014 and basically we've been talking daily on WhatsApp ever since. So, you can imagine the amount of conversation/msgs and there is no way we can start putting that into PDFs.

Since we've never lived together we obviously have no joint leases, joint bank accounts, credit cards or any of that yet. What we have, on the other hand, is lots of selfies/photos of us over the course of five to six years (planning on using phone screen shots so the time stamp of each photo is visible), affidavits, passport stamps of visits, a few hotel reservation bills, wedding pics and life insurance policies, where we are marked as each other's beneficiaries.

Would you still try to add some online conversations (it would be hard  though due to the massive amount...) or do you think we are good without?

3 minutes ago, AnuKatariina said:

Hi guys,

we are in the process of submitting the i-130 online and doing the consular processing since my husband lives in the States and I'm still in Finland. I've read a lot of posts about couples including WhatsApp/Facebook/Skype/email messages as supporting evidence in their i-130s. How necessary is this? My husband and I first met back in 2014 and basically we've been talking daily on WhatsApp ever since. So, you can imagine the amount of conversation/msgs and there is no way we can start putting that into PDFs.

Since we've never lived together we obviously have no joint leases, joint bank accounts, credit cards or any of that yet. What we have, on the other hand, is lots of selfies/photos of us over the course of five to six years (planning on using phone screen shots so the time stamp of each photo is visible), affidavits, passport stamps of visits, a few hotel reservation bills, wedding pics and life insurance policies, where we are marked as each other's beneficiaries.

Would you still try to add some online conversations (it would be hard  though due to the massive amount...) or do you think we are good without?

No, not required, most people just take a snapshot of chat log with them to interview as a precaution

visits stamps hotels photos and insurance together is far more important and more than enough in the majority of cases 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

High fraud countries often include things like this. Is your husband Finnish? Is his family from a high fraud country? If not then Finland is low fraud and the quantity of evidence is lower. Evidence of time spent together is best. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 3/29/2020 at 5:49 AM, AnuKatariina said:

Hi guys,

I would send the conversations as well. It shows you guys are in communication with each other everyday. Take a couple of screenshots over a period of time and have them printed. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Depends on how much other evidence you have and if your case has red flags. Are you submitting a lot of other evidence? If yes, the chat logs are probably not necessary.

I agree with @Duke & Marie that evidence of travel together and other time spent together in person carries more weight than chat logs. Sounds like you have that already from your list. Also, you could just include a couple pages of chats just to show you kept in touch from month to month, absolutely no reason to include pages and pages of it unless it is a high fraud/red flag case.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

Thank you for the replies!

On 3/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, NikLR said:

High fraud countries often include things like this. Is your husband Finnish? Is his family from a high fraud country? If not then Finland is low fraud and the quantity of evidence is lower. Evidence of time spent together is best. 

• Im the beneficiary and Im Finnish. My parents are Finnish too, born and raised.

3 hours ago, millefleur said:

Depends on how much other evidence you have and if your case has red flags. Are you submitting a lot of other evidence? If yes, the chat logs are probably not necessary.

I agree with @Duke & Marie that evidence of travel together and other time spent together in person carries more weight than chat logs. Sounds like you have that already from your list. Also, you could just include a couple pages of chats just to show you kept in touch from month to month, absolutely no reason to include pages and pages of it unless it is a high fraud/red flag case.

• Maybe we'll add some screen shots just to be on the safe side.

Timeline

We also did some screenshots of messages plus a whole bunch of vacation selfies and flight itinerary’s to prove we’ve been going back and forth a long time. We’ve also never lived together but we’ve visited each other’s countries regularly.

Logically speaking you’d think that that is very strong proof, better than messages. 

Nice to find another Finn on this forum! :) 

We really didnt send anything showing communication. Low fraud = not a concern.  We showed time spent together ie: photos and itineraries, boarding passes, and some co-mingled lives ie: joint account and joint car insurance.  It's really easy to add someone onto a car insurance.  We had two affidavits.  But yiu can send some small emails that arent too private or some screen shots or talking or messaging if you want. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks for the replies!

We did add screen shots of WhatsApp chat log (that showed the amount of sent messages, photos etc) and some individual shots of messages over the years.

On 4/11/2020 at 5:34 PM, HelsinkiFi said:

We also did some screenshots of messages plus a whole bunch of vacation selfies and flight itinerary’s to prove we’ve been going back and forth a long time. We’ve also never lived together but we’ve visited each other’s countries regularly.

Logically speaking you’d think that that is very strong proof, better than messages. 

Nice to find another Finn on this forum! :) 

Yea not too many Finns here Ive noticed. Joten totta puhut :)

On 4/20/2020 at 2:11 PM, FAW said:

You can download your WhatsApp chat log into a zip file and submit this.  It’s nice and clean. 

You cant submit a zip file. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you rank all the evidence you listed in terms of value or quality, chat logs would be at or near the bottom. As others have noted, you seem to have enough of the strong, more valuable variety of evidence to submit for the I-130. I would suggest to keep any chat logs and/or affidavits and bring them with you to consular or USCIS interviews.

Also, I-130 confers no status so there's really no concern of fraud. It's when you reach the immigrant visa or AOS stage that there is usually concern of fraud.

I don't think too many Finns are trying to immigrate to the US so fraud shouldn't be an issue here. Yes, sadly, the world is not all treated the same when it comes to high-fraud (typically poorer) countries.

Good luck.

Edited by Mounat02

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.