Pheonix77

Aos whilst visiting on an esta

30 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Pheonix77 said:

What’s an i94 ? I don’t have a k1 I am visiting on am esta we where going to do a k1 next year but this virus is causing him issues financially here and he needs me here for help 

If he needs you for financial help this may not be the best choice. You will not be able to work for around 6 months. Best you return to the UK and continue working there and send money if you need to. 

As has already been mentioned, working on the VWP is a no-no. Even remotely for an overseas company. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

You can marry and adjust while on esta...

work is a no no no even remotely for a foreign company unfortunately... you’ll need work authorisation...

you could try for an Expidite on the work authorisation based on financial hardship for usc but that may complicate the whole affidavit of support process 🤷‍♀️

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

I’n also wondering about the practicalities of an AOS from tourist status during these times of social distancing and non-essential travel. Will the company equipment need to be returned? How will people return keys to landlords and vacate apartments? In the past, people used to mention friends or family who were happy to pack up their stuff for them, ship it, clean the apartment and return keys to the landlord. That can’t happen now. The same with retrieving a car parked at the overseas airport. OP would also need essential documents such as birth certificate, divorce decree, etc. How can these be obtained if government records offices are closed? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 hours ago, Pheonix77 said:

Sorry but I find that hard to understand as I work for a U.K. company where ever I am whether it be on a plane or say at home or in the USA I work online only 

You might find it hard to understand, but FYI the IRS and USCIS perspective there is a clear line. No work is permitted while in the US in a visitor visa or VWP. Also, looking after his son is considered  work, as the job could be done by a US worker 

6 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Working on ESTA or a tourist visa is a rough area to be in. Like others have said, and most of the time remote work for a non-us based company that has no interest or ties to the United States( or the country you are doing the work in) is usually allowed. The issue comes as others have stated with the IRS. That states by LAW that if you have more than 3000 US dollars in income while on US soil, you are required to pay taxes on that income. Immigration and IRS are two separate issues in play here. Once again, you have probably made more than 3000 US in the time you have been on US soil, so you should pay taxes on your income while here, but then again the work would be forgiven if you marry a US citizen in the eyes of the Immigration group, but as others have stated the IRS is not as forgiving as Immigration on this matter. Worst thing I see is you may be stuck paying tax on any income until you get your EAD card or work permit, then you will still have to pay taxes on income anyway once it gets to a certain limit. So, it's something you would have to figure out how you would approach it, but you could always cross that bridge later.

What if you're on your paid vacation and you're still getting paid while you're in the US doing touristy stuff? Wouldn't that be the same? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

What if you're on your paid vacation and you're still getting paid while you're in the US doing touristy stuff? Wouldn't that be the same? 

Please tell me your making a joke

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

1 hour ago, JFH said:

I’n also wondering about the practicalities of an AOS from tourist status during these times of social distancing and non-essential travel. Will the company equipment need to be returned? How will people return keys to landlords and vacate apartments? In the past, people used to mention friends or family who were happy to pack up their stuff for them, ship it, clean the apartment and return keys to the landlord. That can’t happen now. The same with retrieving a car parked at the overseas airport. OP would also need essential documents such as birth certificate, divorce decree, etc. How can these be obtained if government records offices are closed? 

In my case, I’ve been downsizing for over a year waiting on my IR1 approval at NVC, my house is already leased out, I sold all the furniture and moved into a small furnished apartment closer to work and have been living out of not much more than a suitcase for about 6 months now doing fly in/fly out to the mines. I also had a company vehicle etc which is required to be left at work while on vacation.. just as well given I lost my job this visit and was made redundant.. so in reality, disconnection of utilities and giving of notice can be done via phone, email.. my apartment is always scrubbed clean before I leave if you don’t do this in Aus you’ll go home to many an unwanted guest 🐜 🐛 🐞 so in reality it’s just a case of throwing bedding and any grocery, which a friend have kindly offered to do for me. Keys well, the landlord as a full set, I’m sure he can deduct the cost of cutting more out of my bond if he likes or I can mail them to him.

in ref to documents, they’ve always travelled with me (maybe a military habit or just habit from being someone who does travel a lot both for work and pleasure), plus hubby also has a complete set of originals.. 

did we plan AOS during this visit, no.. did we want to add another 12 months onto a process that we’ve already spent excessive amounts of $$$ and 20 months processing nope.. it’s just the way it is 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, Orangesapples said:

I'm serious. You're still making money while in the US, correct? 

Nope

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Its not the same thing,  not at all.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

No, I don't think so, because I have taken vacation and PTO time a lot. I get about 5 weeks a year, and on my paycheck it specifically states vacation time or sick time, or holiday pay, etc. Do I answer calls sometimes from work, sure, do I answer a few emails, maybe, but I know when I am on vacation I try not to think about or have anything to do with work. How other countries do their payroll I'm no expert at, but you have vacation time you earn, and when you are on vacation with your company you're usually not expected to be doing any work. So that is completely different from working and getting paid regular time I would think.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

2 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

Who says you can't make money while in the US visiting?

The issue is engaging in work without authorization.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Who says you can't make money while in the US visiting?

The issue is engaging in work without authorization.

Loren Y said so. 

9 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Once again, you have probably made more than 3000 US in the time you have been on US soil, so you should pay taxes on your income while here, 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Loren Y was referring to working whilst in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OP, do you realize that you won't be able to work or be readmitted to the US (if you leave) for 6-8 months, maybe more?  If you were here on vacation, that may be another consideration if you had any type of house or life back home, pets, or other responsibilities.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.