Pheonix77

Aos whilst visiting on an esta

30 posts in this topic

Hi, 

so I am engaged to a US CITIZEN I am from the U.K. , we where planning on going down the k1 route next year infact have pretty much got all the package together and already had a meeting with an attorney. 

Due to this god aweful virus going on I was due to fly out May 6th to 29th. 

However all the issues and schools closing down my other half is a single father and I can work remotely. So I flew out 3 days before the travel ban  and staying until May 29th.

So I can take care of his son to allow him to still be able to work as otherwise he would not have been able to survive financially 

now there has been a complete lock down in our state county and the situation is escalating we are considering just getting married and doing an AOS

I am a little concerned about this as I am aware it carries a lot of risks however this virus is going to effect him financially immensely and whilst I am here I can help with his son and take that burden away . I also work remotely and I meet half of all the bills here at the house and have done for the last 4 months to help him. We have proof of the amount of money I pay into the household etc 

unfprtunatkey his father had a heart attack last year which has meant he has had to park up his truck and work for his fathers business to help him this has also meant he hasn’t earned a proper wage 

which then brings the issue of his income and last year his own business broke evan 

so our only way is to have a sponsor which we can do 

please any advise anyone that has done this successfully or anyone that has had hurdles please get in contact ! 

this is a god aweful situation everyone is in and although the plan was for me to come here eventually we didn’t expect it yet however this situation is now forcing us to rush it as he cannot afford for us to be apart 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Step 1:  Marry

"I am a little concerned about this as I am aware it carries a lot of risks "

There are no immigration risks if you marry, stay, and adjust status since that was not your intent when you entered the US.  Just be fully aware of the restrictions associated with adjusting status such as inability to work prior to obtaining an EAD and inability to exit and return to the US prior to haing an approved Advance Parole document.

Use this guide

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is a reason VJ has a forum for those adjusting, no way VJ would if it was no an option.

You can not work remotely on the VWP btw.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There is a reason VJ has a forum for those adjusting, no way VJ would if it was no an option.

You can not work remotely on the VWP btw.

I cannot work for my company back in the U.K. whilst I am here ?? Everything is done online and through telephone calls ? I am paid by my UK employer into my U.K. account ..... I’m confused 

11 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Step 1:  Marry

"I am a little concerned about this as I am aware it carries a lot of risks "

There are no immigration risks if you marry, stay, and adjust status since that was not your intent when you entered the US.  Just be fully aware of the restrictions associated with adjusting status such as inability to work prior to obtaining an EAD and inability to exit and return to the US prior to haing an approved Advance Parole document.

Use this guide

Thankyou so much I am just worried about a refusal and then we are stuck as we won’t be able to appeal it will we ? 

Timeline

To work in the US you need to be work authorised. VWP is for tourism and business purposes.

Also bear in mind the IRS aspect, they are shall we say less understanding.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Pheonix77 said:

Thankyou so much I am just worried about a refusal and then we are stuck as we won’t be able to appeal it will we ? 

Many, many people have successfully adjusted status after entering via VWP.  I would marry and file the Adjustment of Status package before the expiration of my I-94.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Many, many people have successfully adjusted status after entering via VWP.  I would marry and file the Adjustment of Status package before the expiration of my I-94.

What’s an i94 ? I don’t have a k1 I am visiting on am esta we where going to do a k1 next year but this virus is causing him issues financially here and he needs me here for help 

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

To work in the US you need to be work authorised. VWP is for tourism and business purposes.

Also bear in mind the IRS aspect, they are shall we say less understanding.

Sorry but I find that hard to understand as I work for a U.K. company where ever I am whether it be on a plane or say at home or in the USA I work online only 

Timeline

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

Strongly suggest you set aside some time to do some reading up on the Immigration process, it is not complicated but does need some research and time spent to get the process down.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Pheonix77 said:

Sorry but I find that hard to understand as I work for a U.K. company where ever I am whether it be on a plane or say at home or in the USA I work online only 

A quick google on permitted activities under the VWP sounds in order.

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

Strongly suggest you set aside some time to do some reading up on the Immigration process, it is not complicated but does need some research and time spent to get the process down.

I wasn’t being rude I have just always worked when visiting that’s all didn’t mean to offend you 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Pheonix77 said:

US law determines what is allowed to occur while physically inside the US......not your technical ability.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Pheonix77 said:

I wasn’t being rude I have just always worked when visiting that’s all didn’t mean to offend you 

Huh, never said you were, we often have people coming on here who have no knowledge of what they are getting into asking random questions and obviously when you know nothing of the process you are unlikely to know what questions are relevant and which are not. Or even what questions you need answers to.

So best to read first, get the basics down and then you are in a much better position to work out what, if any, issues you may have.

Edited by Boiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Working on ESTA or a tourist visa is a rough area to be in. Like others have said, and most of the time remote work for a non-us based company that has no interest or ties to the United States( or the country you are doing the work in) is usually allowed. The issue comes as others have stated with the IRS. That states by LAW that if you have more than 3000 US dollars in income while on US soil, you are required to pay taxes on that income. Immigration and IRS are two separate issues in play here. Once again, you have probably made more than 3000 US in the time you have been on US soil, so you should pay taxes on your income while here, but then again the work would be forgiven if you marry a US citizen in the eyes of the Immigration group, but as others have stated the IRS is not as forgiving as Immigration on this matter. Worst thing I see is you may be stuck paying tax on any income until you get your EAD card or work permit, then you will still have to pay taxes on income anyway once it gets to a certain limit. So, it's something you would have to figure out how you would approach it, but you could always cross that bridge later.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

26 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Working on ESTA or a tourist visa is a rough area to be in. Like others have said, and most of the time remote work for a non-us based company that has no interest or ties to the United States( or the country you are doing the work in) is usually allowed. The issue comes as others have stated with the IRS. That states by LAW that if you have more than 3000 US dollars in income while on US soil, you are required to pay taxes on that income. Immigration and IRS are two separate issues in play here. Once again, you have probably made more than 3000 US in the time you have been on US soil, so you should pay taxes on your income while here, but then again the work would be forgiven if you marry a US citizen in the eyes of the Immigration group, but as others have stated the IRS is not as forgiving as Immigration on this matter. Worst thing I see is you may be stuck paying tax on any income until you get your EAD card or work permit, then you will still have to pay taxes on income anyway once it gets to a certain limit. So, it's something you would have to figure out how you would approach it, but you could always cross that bridge later.

Thankyou I always understood limited business could be carried out on an esta so I’ve just done late work 

however if that poses an issue then that will cease and we shall live off my savings for the time being 

Thankyou for your reply it’s a god aweful time for everyone 

34 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Huh, never said you were, we often have people coming on here who have no knowledge of what they are getting into asking random questions and obviously when you know nothing of the process you are unlikely to know what questions are relevant and which are not. Or even what questions you need answers to.

So best to read first, get the basics down and then you are in a much better position to work out what, if any, issues you may have.

Thankyou, I am sorry I just thought I had come across wrong .... that’s all (I guess that’s the Brit in me always apologising ha ha ) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.