Cndn

Government financial aid during pandemic

93 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Cndn said:

Good point. How are they doing to disperse these funds? We always owe at tax time so getting money from them will be a first haha. I pay manually in our IRS account. 

last time I checked Big Brother (uncle Sam) knew everything 😅 Our Social Security number should tie it all together for them. Tax info, DMV records, etc etc... distribution will probably take a while though

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

They can't possible use the ADDRESS on a tax return from 2018 to mail the checks. That would end up in a huge chaos. How many people have moved since?

One could file the 2019 tax return in Feb 2020 and move in April, that address change problem will alway be there no matter what year they use. That’s challenging for sure.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would like to have a direct deposit into my bank account instead of a check........but I'm not sure the IRS has my bank  info......I have owed taxes for the past few years.  Maybe they can tie it to my back account through my VA account.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I would like to have a direct deposit into my bank account instead of a check........but I'm not sure the IRS has my bank  info......I have owed taxes for the past few years.  Maybe they can tie it to my back account through my VA account.......

I'm sure they have capacity to consider individual preferences in between all this 😁💗

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Prizm123 said:

Qualifying income levels will be based on 2019 federal tax returns, if already filed, and otherwise on 2018 returns. (Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin earlier this month delayed the filing deadline until July 15.)

Which isn't as bad as purely 2018, but lost of people got married (especially relevant to many posters here), got divorced, gave birth, adopted a child, or had a dependent child age out in the first three or four months of the year.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

1 hour ago, Quarknase said:

They can't possible use the ADDRESS on a tax return from 2018 to mail the checks. That would end up in a huge chaos. How many people have moved since?

They will send it to your last known address on file. 

About a quarter million people didn't get their 2008 stimulus check because of address errors. After Dec 31st 2008, they were no longer allowed to mail them and they had to be taken as a tax credit in 2009. After 2009, I believe the treasury got to keep them. I would call if I didn't get mine when everyone else did so they can reissue it.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, geowrian said:

The Senate reached an agreement early this morning (around 1 AM EDT IIRC?). This has single and married cutoffs at $75k and $150k, with it phasing out at $5 for every $100 over those thresholds. Each eligible adult would get $1200, and each eligible child $500.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-likely-dollar1200-coronavirus-checks-explained/ar-BB11AsIW?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U452DHP

The wording of the bill's text has not been updated officially yet, but here's what it said regarding eligibility:

So if you filed jointly, you must have been considered a resident alien for tax purposes, and therefore A does not apply. I'm just pointing that out as some people may incorrectly look at that in an immigration context, not tax context.

No public charge issue. These are not tax credits. They are also one-time and not means-tested, so no issue there. Immigration status is not a consideration for eligibility under the current text.

Nothing is final yet, but all signs right now are that this will pass through the chambers and be signed.

I kinda feel bad for all the people who (incorrectly) file as Single because their spouse is abroad, and all the CPAs who advised them to do so may be in for a bunch of upset clients. Or people who filed MFS since they didn't get an ITIN for their foreign spouse.

hi i have question which im not sure.my wife is a usc and im on green card holder will gonna apply for removal of condition end of this year.im out of work because of market closedown im out from work now. employer suggest me to apply for unemployment benefit.i am not sure if i apply for it.that will gonna count against me or that will be alright to obtain unemployment benefits?

3 minutes ago, ajay007 said:

hi i have question which im not sure.my wife is a usc and im on green card holder will gonna apply for removal of condition end of this year.im out of work because of market closedown im out from work now. employer suggest me to apply for unemployment benefit.i am not sure if i apply for it.that will gonna count against me or that will be alright to obtain unemployment benefits?

My understanding is that unemployment benefits aren't means tested public benefits and so not a problem.  Also - public charge isn't a factor at the i751 stage.  

2 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Which isn't as bad as purely 2018, but lost of people got married (especially relevant to many posters here), got divorced, gave birth, adopted a child, or had a dependent child age out in the first three or four months of the year.

they need to file asap then

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Prizm123 said:

they need to file asap then

I think you're missing my point, which was that anything done in calendar 2020 isn't going to show up on a 2019 tax return (barring some relatively obscure corner cases) and nearly a quarter of 2020 has happened already.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

3 hours ago, arken said:

One could file the 2019 tax return in Feb 2020 and move in April, that address change problem will alway be there no matter what year they use. That’s challenging for sure.

You could just notify them of your new address.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

Edited by Steeleballz

8 hours ago, Prizm123 said:

it is based on 2019 if already filed, 2018 if not, so it was to our advantage to have already filed because now my wife is on it

me and my wife filed jointly already this year(first time filing), so does this mean we will get $1.2k each?

3 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

For the 2008 stimulus, everything was based on the Dec 31st cutoff. So if a child turned 17 on Dec 31, people did not get the additional amount, but if they turned 17 after Jan 1st, they did. Not saying this one will be the same, but I think they tend to follow the same thought process every time. Theoretically they could add a tax credit next year for children born in 2020.

3 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

They said if your last refund was direct deposit, that's how the stimulus will be issued. If your last refund was a check, or if you have never had a refund, you will get the stimulus as a check.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.