Cndn

Government financial aid during pandemic

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Believe it when the check shows up. Voted on and approved is a long way from checks printed. If anything shows up, it won't be till early June at the earliest. Everyone on this forum should be really familiar with how fast the government processes things. Not to be a negative Nancy, but Don't start buying houses and cars just yet....

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Green Card holders will get it? 

I got my GC on 2/26/19 and had my EAD from 8/8/18. Am I qualified to get $1,200? Will it hinder my chances of obtaining USC in the future?

7 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Believe it when the check shows up. Voted on and approved is a long way from checks printed. If anything shows up, it won't be till early June at the earliest. Everyone on this forum should be really familiar with how fast the government processes things. Not to be a negative Nancy, but Don't start buying houses and cars just yet....

I don't find many reasons to give a shout out to the IRS, but they really do know how to get checks out PDQ nowadays. My refund took 9 days from filing this year. I would hope it's May at the latest. They know that the people who need these checks really need them right now. Hopefully they will find a way to prioritize them.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

27 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

me and my wife filed jointly already this year(first time filing), so does this mean we will get $1.2k each?

that is my understanding of the language

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

3 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Which isn't as bad as purely 2018, but lost of people got married (especially relevant to many posters here), got divorced, gave birth, adopted a child, or had a dependent child age out in the first three or four months of the year.

As I did. My boy was born in dec 2019. I supposed we’ll have to file 2019 taxes soon to get him accounted for. 

3 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

Green Card holders will get it? 

I got my GC on 2/26/19 and had my EAD from 8/8/18. Am I qualified to get $1,200? Will it hinder my chances of obtaining USC in the future?

If you filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019, you are eligible. It is not a means tested benefit. It doesn't affect your chances of getting a green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

I don't find many reasons to give a shout out to the IRS, but they really do know how to get checks out PDQ nowadays. My refund took 9 days from filing this year. I would hope it's May at the latest. They know that the people who need these checks really need them right now. Hopefully they will find a way to prioritize them.

The experts said in a news conference ( this is the guy from the Treasury who's name is on the checks) that a minimum of 6 weeks to do it, so mid May would be optimistic. The problem is everything spent in this bill is going to be reviewed by some panel or oversight committee. That should add a few weeks to it. This stimulus package is over 1400 pages, let that sink in, 1400 pages with how to dispense the money to people, business airlines, etc. Don't forget the money the house and Congress is putting in their own personal bank accounts. The money I could care less about, I have set aside a whole weekend to read this bill when it's posted, I am more worried with how many civil liberties and rights we just forfieted with this bill. Look how the did us dirty with the Patriot act, and that was only 600 pages or so.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

5 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

The experts said in a news conference ( this is the guy from the Treasury who's name is on the checks) that a minimum of 6 weeks to do it, so mid May would be optimistic. The problem is everything spent in this bill is going to be reviewed by some panel or oversight committee. That should add a few weeks to it. This stimulus package is over 1400 pages, let that sink in, 1400 pages with how to dispense the money to people, business airlines, etc. Don't forget the money the house and Congress is putting in their own personal bank accounts. The money I could care less about, I have set aside a whole weekend to read this bill when it's posted, I am more worried with how many civil liberties and rights we just forfieted with this bill. Look how the did us dirty with the Patriot act, and that was only 600 pages or so.

Yeah, I guess I'm not holding my breath. I just hope they do what they can to get these out fast to the people who need them.

2 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Wife just got her conditional green card, but will GC holders be eligible for the 1.2k$ also?

How did you file taxes?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

3 minutes ago, JFH said:

How did you file taxes?

do not need to be GC holder to file taxes, sent in written election statement to have her treated as Resident Alien for the tax year so she can file taxes with me married filing jointly

Edited by Kerri and Myles

1 minute ago, Kerri and Myles said:

do not need to be GC holder to file taxes, sent in written election statement to have her treated as Resident Alien for the tax year so she can file taxes with me married filing jointly

My question was not “how on earth did you file taxes?” but “have you filed as married in either 2018 or 2019?” If you have filed since you got married then you will get the stimulus payment for both of you assuming you didn’t make a combined total of over $199,000. If you haven’t filed as married since you married then I have no idea how they could know that there are two of you. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

23 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

I have two small kids and can’t do the same so please let us know what you find! I’m very interested in what’s in there. 

5 minutes ago, JFH said:

My question was not “how on earth did you file taxes?” but “have you filed as married in either 2018 or 2019?” If you have filed since you got married then you will get the stimulus payment for both of you assuming you didn’t make a combined total of over $199,000. If you haven’t filed as married since you married then I have no idea how they could know that there are two of you. 

yeah we got married june 2019, we filed taxes this year for first time together as married filing joint, we filed as married this year 2020 for 2019.  So I'm assuming that would mean for us both?  I just am uncertain on if GC holders get the benefit.

Yep, just heard from Secretary Mnuchin that the IRS will use banking info for those that received refunds last year. Otherwise, checks will be mailed. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.