Kidayi

Accommodations for K-1 Visa

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello VJ members!

I'm debating (not really a debate though) on when and who I should reach out too in regards to our K-1 visa process. Our case has left the NVC and when we tracked the case it said 'Ready' which I assumed meant the Embassy will be sending us the packets with further information including an interview date. However, due to COVOD-19 the embassy is closed and is postponing visa interview appointments. Though my fiance and I were not given one yet I'm trying to figure out what steps should I take. Because I know the moment the embassy opens again the interviews will be backed up and we still need to finish some paperwork such as DS-160 because we weren't given the packets yet. The issus is the NOA2 has an expiration date and my fiance still has school to finish. I'm worried 4 months might not be enough and the NOA2 can only extended once. 

Does anyone know or who (USCIS, or Embassy) should I contact in regards to what steps to take. I feel like everyone in the K-1 process that is at the same stage as our case should be given some sort of accommodation? All cases I feel, that are either at the interview point or near NOA2 expiration should be given accommodation since most, maybe all embassies will be backed up. How long should I wait before I reach out? A month before the NOA2 expires? I'm worried to ask for an extension and this COVID-19 epidemic still hasn't settled and I don't wanna risk losing everything and having the fear of having to start alll over.....

Any advice would be help. 

Edited by Kidayi
forgot information added

tKAvm5.png

53 minutes ago, Kidayi said:

Hello VJ members!

I'm debating (not really a debate though) on when and who I should reach out too in regards to our K-1 visa process. Our case has left the NVC and when we tracked the case it said 'Ready' which I assumed meant the Embassy will be sending us the packets with further information including an interview date. However, due to COVOD-19 the embassy is closed and is postponing visa interview appointments. Though my fiance and I were not given one yet I'm trying to figure out what steps should I take. Because I know the moment the embassy opens again the interviews will be backed up and we still need to finish some paperwork such as DS-160 because we weren't given the packets yet. The issus is the NOA2 has an expiration date and my fiance still has school to finish. I'm worried 4 months might not be enough and the NOA2 can only extended once. 

Does anyone know or who (USCIS, or Embassy) should I contact in regards to what steps to take. I feel like everyone in the K-1 process that is at the same stage as our case should be given some sort of accommodation? All cases I feel, that are either at the interview point or near NOA2 expiration should be given accommodation since most, maybe all embassies will be backed up. How long should I wait before I reach out? A month before the NOA2 expires? I'm worried to ask for an extension and this COVID-19 epidemic still hasn't settled and I don't wanna risk losing everything and having the fear of having to start alll over.....

Any advice would be help. 

The NOA2 can be extended by the embassy.  

I am not sure what sort of accommodation you're looking for, but to be honest, you will not get anywhere with this.  US embassies globally are CLOSED FOR BUSINESS, except for emergency services for USCs abroad.  This does not include nonimmigrant or immigrant visas.  

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

The NOA2 can be extended by the embassy.  

I am not sure what sort of accommodation you're looking for, but to be honest, you will not get anywhere with this.  US embassies globally are CLOSED FOR BUSINESS, except for emergency services for USCs abroad.  This does not include nonimmigrant or immigrant visas.  

I am aware that NOA2 can be extended. But with the virus going on and embassies being closed interviews that should have been going on now are postponed and will be backed up. I'm trying to figure out the best option because I don't think it's fair if an interview date is given to us past the validity date of the NOA2 even with the extension because right now the latest interview date that for our embassy is end of May. But spots will taken up as soon as it reopens. I'm not looking for special treatment. I'm trying to see if they will accommodate for everyone in this position/situation 

tKAvm5.png

There is currently an unprecedented global pandemic occurring.  Interviews for visas will be backed up at consulates everywhere.  Eventually, there will be a plan in place at each consulate for dealing with the backlog of applications.  All you can do is monitor the embassy's website and your email for official news or instructions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The embassy can keep extending the petition for as long as they have to. I have heard of it being extended up to 3 times, so almost 2 years of extensions. Be prepared for a long waiting game at this point, but don't worry really, other than the wait even if they have to extend the NOA2 a dozen times it doesn't effect the process. They will get to you, conduct the interview, and until you have the Visa in the passport and in your hands is the time you have to start being concerned with timing. The only downside you could have is if you have done the medical already, but since you haven't even done the DS-160, I doubt you have done the medical. If not, wait for the medical until you get the interview date( Visa expiration is based on date of the medical exam), they are usually 3 weeks out minimum and that will give you plenty of time to do the medical and file the DS-160. Only took me about 10 minutes to complete the DS-160, so it isn't too bad. Just hang out, and you will probably have enough time to get another visit in before the interview the way things are going to go after all the Hoopla is done.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
10 hours ago, Loren Y said:

The embassy can keep extending the petition for as long as they have to. I have heard of it being extended up to 3 times, so almost 2 years of extensions. Be prepared for a long waiting game at this point, but don't worry really, other than the wait even if they have to extend the NOA2 a dozen times it doesn't effect the process. They will get to you, conduct the interview, and until you have the Visa in the passport and in your hands is the time you have to start being concerned with timing. The only downside you could have is if you have done the medical already, but since you haven't even done the DS-160, I doubt you have done the medical. If not, wait for the medical until you get the interview date( Visa expiration is based on date of the medical exam), they are usually 3 weeks out minimum and that will give you plenty of time to do the medical and file the DS-160. Only took me about 10 minutes to complete the DS-160, so it isn't too bad. Just hang out, and you will probably have enough time to get another visit in before the interview the way things are going to go after all the Hoopla is done.

Thank you! This is the kind of answer I was looking for xD. And yes I'm prepared for a longer wait which is fine. My fiancé's school might go longer than expected due to the outbreak so I would want to make sure his schooling fits in with all of this. So fingers crossed it gets extended to a longer period of time. 

Thanks again! 

tKAvm5.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
18 hours ago, Loren Y said:

I am in the same boat as far as the NOA2. Mine runs out mid July 2020, at what point do I ask for an extension and who do I ask for an extension the Embassy or the NVC? My other issue is my fiancé is here in the USA on a B1/B2 Tourist Visa and good until Mid August, but with all the flights shutdown due to the virus I can't get her back to her home country. This is just a mess....:(

Timeline
5 minutes ago, VisaDonnie said:

I am in the same boat as far as the NOA2. Mine runs out mid July 2020, at what point do I ask for an extension and who do I ask for an extension the Embassy or the NVC? My other issue is my fiancé is here in the USA on a B1/B2 Tourist Visa and good until Mid August, but with all the flights shutdown due to the virus I can't get her back to her home country. This is just a mess....:(

So sorry you're dealing with this. In terms of getting the NOA2 extension you contact the Embassy. They're the ones who can give an additional 4 months extension. However I'm hoping they will give a larger extension on the NOA2s because as soon everything is up and running they will be backed up. Reach out the embassy before the NOA2 expires. Maybe about two-three weeks or so. If you see your interview date won't be during that time frame then reach out to them. Best of luck! 

tKAvm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
33 minutes ago, VisaDonnie said:

I would say 99% of embassies will automatically extend the noa2 date automatically without you doing anything. You are free to contact them and ask for a extension, but they will do it automatically for at least a year with no issues. They may automatically extend them longer with current situation.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

I would say 99% of embassies will automatically extend the noa2 date automatically without you doing anything. You are free to contact them and ask for a extension, but they will do it automatically for at least a year with no issues. They may automatically extend them longer with current situation.

Then Germany is the 1% who don't 😁 They want a new letter of intent from the petitioner every time. 

The approval can be extended 3 times in 3 months steps to a total of 12 months. Have a look at the embassy/ consulate homepage and see if you can find something or email them and ask what needs to be done.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Then Germany is the 1% who don't 😁 They want a new letter of intent from the petitioner every time. 

The approval can be extended 3 times in 3 months steps to a total of 12 months. Have a look at the embassy/ consulate homepage and see if you can find something or email them and ask what needs to be done.

For the K-1 visa you're gonna need at two letter of intents, (filing petition and post approval). But if all i need to do is send a new letter of intent each time to extend my NOA2 I'd send 100 xD. But deff will be contacting the Embassy!

Good luck to you! :)

14 hours ago, Mavan said:

There is nothing to worry about. You will have an extension. As of now, i will suggest you to focus on the next step. Start prepping the paperworks and get ready to roll when the Covid-19 ends. Good luck

Thank you! Yes we've been preparing our paperwork, so will be ready for when it does get up and running!

tKAvm5.png

My NOA2 expires beginning of May. We asked for an extensions and they said "as of now, there are no exceptions/exemptions/extensions but please follow www.travel.state.gov" then when trying to get more information they said "as soon as the state department has worked it out, all applicants will be informed." 

I'm just worried they will "work it out" after some peoples NOA2s have passed, and then what? We have to start over?

This is so stressful. Best of luck to everyone going through this. 

Timeline
53 minutes ago, pelo814 said:

My NOA2 expires beginning of May. We asked for an extensions and they said "as of now, there are no exceptions/exemptions/extensions but please follow www.travel.state.gov" then when trying to get more information they said "as soon as the state department has worked it out, all applicants will be informed." 

I'm just worried they will "work it out" after some peoples NOA2s have passed, and then what? We have to start over?

This is so stressful. Best of luck to everyone going through this. 

You contacted USCIS? or your embassy? That makes no sense. It wouldn't be fair to those who have visa's pending. They've always extended NOA2 before from what I heard. I don't understand why they wouldn't. You should try contacting your Embassy again in April, maybe by then things would have calmed down. 

tKAvm5.png

12 minutes ago, Kidayi said:

You contacted USCIS? or your embassy? That makes no sense. It wouldn't be fair to those who have visa's pending. They've always extended NOA2 before from what I heard. I don't understand why they wouldn't. You should try contacting your Embassy again in April, maybe by then things would have calmed down. 

We had an interview for 4/9 and it was cancelled so I contacted the embassy to see what to do about extending and that first quote was the reply I got. I explained our NOA2 expired in May and the second quote was the next reply. 

I figured their responses are just what they are told to tell people right now. So I agree, that I should try again in a couple weeks when they have had time to figure out what this situation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.