Dmarie7

K1 Fiance Visa - Nigeria

27 posts in this topic

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I heard about the travel restrictions of other countries including Nigeria. I filed for I-129F December 2019 and still pending approval or interview to this date.  Does that mean my application is no longer valid? Because My Fiance is from Nigeria and he won't be able to travel to the USA for us to get married. I am so confused about this and not happy. I feel like the President decided for me who and who I shouldn't marry and have in my life.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dmarie7 said:

I heard about the travel restrictions of other countries including Nigeria. I filed for I-129F December 2019 and still pending approval or interview to this date.  Does that mean my application is no longer valid? Because My Fiance is from Nigeria and he won't be able to travel to the USA for us to get married. I am so confused about this and not happy. I feel like the President decided for me who and who I shouldn't marry and have in my life.

A little bit more complicated than that. 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It has only been a few months?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes, I am aware of the 5-7 months waiting period or longer but just wondering now how this would affect me and my Fiance moving forward when we have a wedding planned out for the summer and there's travel restrictions. 

You filed in December 2019.

It's now March 2020 so only 3 months.

K1 takes around 12 months.

Be prepared for some bumps in the road. The Nigerian embassy is not an easy one to overcome.

Edited by Becci391
ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Timeline

Summer this year? 

In the best of times that would be optimistic, with the current Travel Bans even more so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes, this coming summer. This is so sad. We have been together for 2 years now and been in Nigeria 4 times now to spend time with my love. Now it seems impossible for us to get married.

Timeline

Can you not get married in Nigeria?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Dmarie7 said:

Please tell me why. Thanks

Nigeria has failed the security and information sharing requirement.  Ban will likely be lifted once the Nigerian government gets there act together 

YMMV

Timeline

Yes, we can get married there, that is not the problem. I live and work in Los Angeles, and would like my husband to be with me here in the USA. That is why I petitioned for Fiance visa so we can start a family.

To get married in Nigeria, still the same process, petition as spouse is way longer and now unsure about this visa situation. 

I am just wondering if there's another way. 

Timeline

You mentioned the 2 ways, one as a Fiancee, the other as a Spouse.

Most people on here would go for the Spouse option due to the many negative aspects of the K1.

13 hours ago, Dmarie7 said:

That is why I petitioned for Fiance visa so we can start a family.

You can start a family with the spousal visa too. Arguably it’s the better option since the immigrant would be able to work right away so there are two incomes in the household to support the growing family. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Some will tell you that relocating to Nigeria is an option, I do not subscribe to that school of thought. That said love him or hate him Nigeria is a prime candidate for a ban. I am from Ghana and I love my Nigerian brethren however the truth is that he country is a disaster, Islamic terrorism is awash over the place, and Naija is almost a failed state.

To be honest I am surprised he allowed nonimmigrant visa processing to continue in Naija because logically he should have banned that first because vetting nonimmigrant applicants is nothing compared to immigrant visa applicants.

Keep your head up. It is easy to say however even this devil virus shall pass.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.