makhan27

Moving to the US in 2 weeks. What to do?

55 posts in this topic

I have my flights booked to move to the US in two weeks yet with so much uncertainty I am unsure if I will be able to make it on a plane to move there let alone any trouble I will face once I land.

My visa states I must enter the country by 14 May 2020 but alot can chage till then.

Any advice? should I move my ticket forward to wait it out?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are immigrating as the spouse of a USC?

Nobody can tell you what things will look like in 2 weeks, I really can not think of a sensible answer, so much depends on your personal situation, for example if you have a secure job in the UK and you would be going into an unknown situation in the US might be better to wait, if everything is packed, sold whatever in the UK and you have major issue staying could well be better to move.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, makhan27 said:

I have my flights booked to move to the US in two weeks yet with so much uncertainty I am unsure if I will be able to make it on a plane to move there let alone any trouble I will face once I land.

My visa states I must enter the country by 14 May 2020 but alot can chage till then.

At the moment you may only enter the U.S. at:

Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia

Things will undoubtedly change though and TBH, the ability to travel maybe removed. You have until mid May, so maybe hold off until then and see what transpires. You can get the visa extended, but would need to get another medical and pay the visa fee. I'd like to think that special measures will be introduced by the DOS to smooth the process. Countless thousands are in this position and there is truly no right answer.

1 minute ago, Tesco said:

At the moment you may only enter the U.S. at:

Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia

Things will undoubtedly change though and TBH, the ability to travel maybe removed. You have until mid May, so maybe hold off until then and see what transpires. You can get the visa extended, but would need to get another medical and pay the visa fee. I'd like to think that special measures will be introduced by the DOS to smooth the process. Countless thousands are in this position and there is truly no right answer.

I am due to fly in ATL and then Raleigh from there but its just hard as my wife wanted to leave last month but I was stuck with my work and financially did not make sense to leave then. Just do not want it to sting me in the back in the future - obv health comes first but we have been waiting for this for so long its hard to enjoy the countdown anymore.

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You are immigrating as the spouse of a USC?

Nobody can tell you what things will look like in 2 weeks, I really can not think of a sensible answer, so much depends on your personal situation, for example if you have a secure job in the UK and you would be going into an unknown situation in the US might be better to wait, if everything is packed, sold whatever in the UK and you have major issue staying could well be better to move.

I have a secure job that I can hold onto if needed as my manager is quite flexible with my leave date but the risk is waiting it out does not sound like things will get better soon. tough call to make

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, makhan27 said:

I have a secure job that I can hold onto if needed as my manager is quite flexible with my leave date but the risk is waiting it out does not sound like things will get better soon. tough call to make

All I can suggest is you both write down the pluses and minuses and take a joint view?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I live in Orlando and society is decimated. No Disney, No Universal and the Mayor has just decreed no alcohol. As this is a global emergency, only you know what your family status is and what's the best course of action. 

We may have a pre-industrial lifestyle for the time being. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Tesco said:

and the Mayor has just decreed no alcohol

Not sure I understand the logic behind this one, hang in there, we are on "shelter in place" orders here in the Bay Area, working from home is actually awesome with my husband who is still adjusting to his new life in the USA and also works from home, so it is so nice to be together all day and all night, good times!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, carmel34 said:

working from home is actually awesome with my husband who is still adjusting to his new life in the USA and also works from home, so it is so nice to be together all day and all night, good times!

Too bad that many employers are not offering the option to work from home and the idea of a lockdown is absolutely terrifying for workers that will not get paid for the days they spend at home. 

11 hours ago, makhan27 said:

have you contacted USCIS to see if they can push out the date you have to travel by? we have to travel by July, and are booked to go over in June, but realized Virgin Australia has just cancelled flights until then...so also might be in this boat.  I'm hoping USCIS have the ability to push out the date we must enter by??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

In my opinion travel ban between the UK and the USA simply cannot continue for more than two months. Not only would it be economically catastrophic, the reality is that within the next two weeks both countries will have so many locally infected people and community spread that the argument for preventing foreigners from coming to infect the country would totally no longer make sense.

Now if you were from some developing country etc, it could be possible for such nationals to be banned almost indefinitely from the USA.  Fortunately for you the UK & the USA are as close an alliance as you can get hence such continued ban is quite simply impossible.

In summary if it makes financial etc sense to hold off till your proposed date, I would do it.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

10 hours ago, Tesco said:

I live in Orlando and society is decimated. No Disney, No Universal and the Mayor has just decreed no alcohol. As this is a global emergency, only you know what your family status is and what's the best course of action. 

We may have a pre-industrial lifestyle for the time being. 

no alcohol? why?

11 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

In my opinion travel ban between the UK and the USA simply cannot continue for more than two months. Not only would it be economically catastrophic, the reality is that within the next two weeks both countries will have so many locally infected people and community spread that the argument for preventing foreigners from coming to infect the country would totally no longer make sense.

Now if you were from some developing country etc, it could be possible for such nationals to be banned almost indefinitely from the USA.  Fortunately for you the UK & the USA are as close an alliance as you can get hence such continued ban is quite simply impossible.

In summary if it makes financial etc sense to hold off till your proposed date, I would do it.

you do realize that the developed world is the most infected  other than china ? no one knows how long it will last. Again these are historic times with an unknown uncertainty

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Donald120383 said:

you do realize that the developed world is the most infected  other than china ? no one knows how long it will last. Again these are historic times with an unknown uncertainty

Yes I do realize that. How does that change what I wrote? I pointed out that the reason the ban between UK and USA wouldn’t last are largely economic and political, not because of infection rate. I am originally from Ghana, the USA can ban Ghana almost indefinitely regardless of our infection rate because the economic and political cost to USA is relatively negligible.

Nobody knows the future, however we make plan and estimates based on our assessment of the situation. I’ve laid out mine reasoning succinctly.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.