makhan27

Moving to the US in 2 weeks. What to do?

55 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Tesco said:

and the Mayor has just decreed no alcohol.

That, my friend, is the sign of a true emergency. I don’t think even Amazon delivers alcohol. It’s my daily whisky and coke that’s getting me through this.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I've just received approval of my CR-1 visa yesterday and I am awaiting my passport from the embassy. 

I'm personally going to book flights immediately following receipt of my passport, and get to the US as quickly as possible before the UK goes into lockdown and things prove much more difficult to get around.

I've not seen my wife for over 2 months now therefore, I'm keen to get to the States ASAP, whilst I still can!  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
23 hours ago, makhan27 said:

I have a secure job that I can hold onto if needed as my manager is quite flexible with my leave date but the risk is waiting it out does not sound like things will get better soon. tough call to make

If I had my visa, I'd be out of here yesterday. Extending your visa date will also affect those of us who are still waiting for ours...if many people do that..

On 3/18/2020 at 1:37 AM, Tesco said:

At the moment you may only enter the U.S. at:

Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts
Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia

Things will undoubtedly change though and TBH, the ability to travel maybe removed. You have until mid May, so maybe hold off until then and see what transpires. You can get the visa extended, but would need to get another medical and pay the visa fee. I'd like to think that special measures will be introduced by the DOS to smooth the process. Countless thousands are in this position and there is truly no right answer.

how do you extend the visa? we're in the process of probably needing to do that- have emailed Sydney consulate, but who knows if/when they'll reply

I'm sure someone will chime in, but my understanding is that you mail back the passport AFTER, the visa has expired. You would then need to explain why you were unable to travel, get a new medical and pay another visa fee.

I understand that Australia is in lock down, countless thousands affected. I'd expect a change of DOS policy with all of this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 3/17/2020 at 4:03 PM, ElmiraW said:

I think this means the bars have closed. Going to head to the liquor store first thing tomorrow just to be sure :)

The bars are shutting down here starting Friday (3/19) at 8:30pm. I made my run on alcohol Monday, before the masses. But maybe I'll go for another round tonight 😃 

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

On 3/18/2020 at 5:18 AM, NikLR said:

The medical prevents extensions. Travel asap or redo the entire process. Your choice. 

Not exactly true that entire process has to be redone, there is a provision to reissue immigrant visas (I am not sure admittedly if K1 also falls under this) with the same visa number if the embassy is satisfied it could not/will not be able to be used before expiry due to reasons beyond the visa-holder’s control. Note though that the visa fee needs to be paid again and the medical will need to be done again for expiry date. Traveling ASAP is definitely the best option, even if it is just to activate. 

7 hours ago, Tesco said:

I'm sure someone will chime in, but my understanding is that you mail back the passport AFTER, the visa has expired. You would then need to explain why you were unable to travel, get a new medical and pay another visa fee.

I understand that Australia is in lock down, countless thousands affected. I'd expect a change of DOS policy with all of this.

Can be done before expiry.

9 FAM 504.10-5(A) (U) Issuing Replacement Visa During Validity of Original Visa
a. (U) If you are satisfied that an applicant will be or was unable to use an immigrant visa (IV) during its validity period because of reasons beyond the applicant’s control and for which the applicant is not responsible then you may issue a replacement visa with the originally allocated visa number within the same fiscal year even though the visa has not yet expired. You should recall and cancel the originally-issued visa and collect once again the appropriate IV application processing fee (including the Diversity Visa Lottery Fee for a DV applicant), unless the applicant was unable to use the visa as a result of action by the U.S. Government over which the alien had no control and for which the alien was not responsible.

On 3/17/2020 at 3:39 PM, carmel34 said:

Not sure I understand the logic behind this one, hang in there, we are on "shelter in place" orders here in the Bay Area, working from home is actually awesome with my husband who is still adjusting to his new life in the USA and also works from home, so it is so nice to be together all day and all night, good times!

On the funny side, China has the record highest divorce cases after the quarantine :D

8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Not exactly true that entire process has to be redone, there is a provision to reissue immigrant visas (I am not sure admittedly if K1 also falls under this) with the same visa number if the embassy is satisfied it could not/will not be able to be used before expiry due to reasons beyond the visa-holder’s control. Note though that the visa fee needs to be paid again and the medical will need to be done again for expiry date. Traveling ASAP is definitely the best option, even if it is just to activate. 

i've considered sending my husband to the US to activate it, but if he gets stuck there we're in trouble (we're both living in Australia)

22 minutes ago, stephanie918 said:

i've considered sending my husband to the US to activate it, but if he gets stuck there we're in trouble (we're both living in Australia)

I presume you’ve seen the State Department has issued a global travel advisory. While it doesn’t apply to you as such as you are not US citizens, the underlying warning - that anyone can get stuck anywhere if traveling internationally - applies to anyone. I really don’t know what to advise, It’s a tough situation literally changing by the hour when new restrictions get announced, I guess it depends how critical moving is to you.

fyi on another forum I’m on, a query to the US consulate in Sydney partly contradicted the FAM extract I posted above. While it affirmed that one would just need to pay the visa fee and do medical again (rather than go through the whole visa process again) they indicated they would only assess a case after expiry of the visa.

10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I presume you’ve seen the State Department has issued a global travel advisory. While it doesn’t apply to you as such as you are not US citizens, the underlying warning - that anyone can get stuck anywhere if traveling internationally - applies to anyone. I really don’t know what to advise, It’s a tough situation literally changing by the hour when new restrictions get announced, I guess it depends how critical moving is to you.

fyi on another forum I’m on, a query to the US consulate in Sydney partly contradicted the FAM extract I posted above. While it affirmed that one would just need to pay the visa fee and do medical again (rather than go through the whole visa process again) they indicated they would only assess a case after expiry of the visa.

agreed.  we just heard back from Sydney, and sounds like they'd want it to expire first, then re-do medical, re-do DS-260, re pay fees, possibly re-interview, re-do police check. so we're going to wait this out and send my husband over sometime in the next few months to activate as i'm hoping we're in a peak of insanity now

9 hours ago, stephanie918 said:

You cant.  You have to enter with or before the immigrant. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.