igoyougoduke

MEGATHREAD- All USA Flights from EU banned for next 30 days

312 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Rovii said:

Does anyone know if this applies for Albania? My fiance got his passport with his k-1 visa a day before Trump's ban. I'm a U.S. citizen but currently in Albania with my fiance. Did Trump ban every EU country? I've read that there are only a couple countries banned for 30 days. I don't know whether its safe to travel now. 

Does not look like it. if you can fly into US without stop in Canada, Schengen you should be able to get in 

White House proclomation says this :

For purposes of this proclamation, the Schengen Area comprises 26 European states: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline
1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

All of the  Schengen Area is included in the European travel restriction......there are more than "only a couple countries" restricted.

EDIT:  She should call the airline and ask if flights are even available...

What I meant was 26 Schengen countries are banned but Albania is not listed. I was just asking if anyone knows information on traveling from Albania, if it's allowed at the moment or not. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Donald120383 said:

Does not look like it. if you can fly into US without stop in Canada, Schengen you should be able to get in 

White House proclomation says this :

For purposes of this proclamation, the Schengen Area comprises 26 European states: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland

The flights I was looking at were from Albania to Turkey to Miami.

2 hours ago, Rovii said:

The flights I was looking at were from Albania to Turkey to Miami.

as long as US does  not close its border for all international flights you should be good. better hurry we are in a very fluid situation and things can get shut down very fast 

Edited by Donald120383

duh

I was lucky enough to enter the US on my K1 VISA 2 days ago from Australia, before all international flights out of Australia were cancelled and San Francisco airport went on lock down. Before I left I emailed the consulate in Sydney Australia, just in case I wasn't allowed to board my flight. I hope the below info is helpful to some:

Thank you for your email.

There are currently no special accommodations for applicants whose visas have expired or are about to expire due to being unable or not wanting to travel during COVID-19. If you are unable to immigrate to the United States during the validity period of your immigrant visa, we may be able to issue you a replacement visa (to extend the validity).

We will review your eligibility to receive a replacement visa on a case-by-case basis, but we are not able to review your case until your current visa has expired. 

Please note that one of the requirements for a replacement visa is that the basis for your immigration to the United States still exists (e.g. familial relationship, U.S. job offer, etc.) If you are deemed to be eligible for a replacement visa, this would require submission of a new visa application fee, a new medical and/or Australian Federal Police certificate. Furthermore, you may be required to update Form DS-260 along with attending another interview for the replacement visa at the U.S. Consulate General, Sydney.

If a petition was filed on your behalf as:

Then:

Spouse, Parent or Unmarried child (under age 21) of a U.S. citizen

Number is not limited.

K1 Fiancé visa

Number not limited but Petition valid for 12 months only.

*Diversity Visa Applicant: Under no circumstances can a visa be issued after September 30, 2020

Number is limited each year. 

Adult sons, daughters, brothers or sisters of a U.S. citizen

Spouses and children of U.S. lawful permanent residents

Employment based, except for certain special immigrants

If you fall under a category where visa number(s) are limited each year, then an immigrant visa number was only available for your use within the month your visa was issued. There is no guarantee that visa numbers will be immediately available for your visa replacement. You may also want to review the Visa Bulletin for further information on visa number availability.

Note: Due to the limited number of visas that may be issued under the *Diversity Visa program, numbers may cease to be available even before this date. 

In light of the above guidance, if you wish to apply for a replacement immigrant visa, please email us after your immigrant visa has expired. The subject line of your email should be "REPLACEMENT IMMIGRANT VISA: [Surname, Given Name]." In your email, please describe the circumstances which led to your decision to not use your visa during its validity period, as well as the purpose and desired timeline for your future immigration to the United States. We will review and respond to these requests on a case-by-case basis.  

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Immigrant Visa Unit (cc)

U.S. Consulate General, Sydney

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there! 
Since the situation seems to be getting a bit out of hand in the US, I was hoping to find some information on Visa Journey, concerning the possibility of an extension for visas (K1). I posted in this forum a few weeks ago. 
i have texted the consulate in Germany again, and called the USCIS travel docs number. The consulate replied that I should get back to them once my visa has expired. The USCIS travel docs people told me to contact Homeland security.

So I send another email to Homeland security, to inquire if 1. It is possible to enter the US on a K1 visa right now, 2. if it is possible to extent the visa, if I cannot travel within the next months. Since the situation is really out of my (anyone’s) control at this point, and it will cause financial hardship on me, if I cannot travel to the US to live with my fiancé in the near future. 

I would really appreciate it a LOT, if people on here that have received some kind of feedback from any embassy or official could give me some advise or to exchange information. I was supposed to leave on the 1st of May, and I am pretty sure that’s not going to happen. 
I was able to extend my lease until the end of May, but I won’t have a job (currently in talks to get my job back, but my boss doesn’t know if he can hire someone right now). So, once my visa expires (1st of July), I will probably look at months of waiting to get a new medical and interview date. 
As of right now, this situation is very exhausting to say the least, and I am in touch with other K1 s with the same problem. 

I would really appreciate to hear back from others and keep the information on here going. 

Thanks! And best wishes to everyone on here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Leah88 said:

Hi there! 
Since the situation seems to be getting a bit out of hand in the US, I was hoping to find some information on Visa Journey, concerning the possibility of an extension for visas (K1). I posted in this forum a few weeks ago. 
i have texted the consulate in Germany again, and called the USCIS travel docs number. The consulate replied that I should get back to them once my visa has expired. The USCIS travel docs people told me to contact Homeland security.

So I send another email to Homeland security, to inquire if 1. It is possible to enter the US on a K1 visa right now, 2. if it is possible to extent the visa, if I cannot travel within the next months. Since the situation is really out of my (anyone’s) control at this point, and it will cause financial hardship on me, if I cannot travel to the US to live with my fiancé in the near future. 

I would really appreciate it a LOT, if people on here that have received some kind of feedback from any embassy or official could give me some advise or to exchange information. I was supposed to leave on the 1st of May, and I am pretty sure that’s not going to happen. 
I was able to extend my lease until the end of May, but I won’t have a job (currently in talks to get my job back, but my boss doesn’t know if he can hire someone right now). So, once my visa expires (1st of July), I will probably look at months of waiting to get a new medical and interview date. 
As of right now, this situation is very exhausting to say the least, and I am in touch with other K1 s with the same problem. 

I would really appreciate to hear back from others and keep the information on here going. 

Thanks! And best wishes to everyone on here!

You still have until July man. Chill!!

I believe that you will be able to travel before your visa expires. Be patient :)

Edited by LeoUSA

Hi everyone. I haven't seen anyone asking about this, please comment your opinions. Once(whenever that may be) the Europe travel ban is lifted, has anyone thought about how they'd go about travelling safely(perhaps wearing a protective hazmat suit? Lol idk), and what they'd do after entering the country? I do not want to risk getting infected during the flights and then exposing my Fiancée and their family to it. Like just no. We've talked about not meeting up for 15 days after I come and me staying at a hotel until we're sure I'm not going to infect or spread the virus. Not only would that be financially annoying but also emotionally cause imagine being in the same place after months of this process and then not being able to be together. So does anyone have any other suggestions or better ideas on how to make sure that I keep them safe and healthy upon my arrival? Or do we stick with the 15 days apart just in case? Thank you and good luck to everyone else struggling with this mess 

11 hours ago, US2UK said:

Hope everyone is staying safe and well!

Any one seen or heard any updates on the travel ban? If it’s being extended or will end after the 30 days?

I can’t seem to find anything on Google or here

Some U.S. Airports will close after Easter, while others that have not already consolidated operations will do so. I see in the industry a steady decline in passenger numbers, one that will very slowly increase once any ban is lifted. 

On 3/17/2020 at 6:22 AM, Ela S. said:

I’m from Spain

Technically, you can enter with the K-1 after spending 14 days in a country like South Korea, Belarus, etc. prior to attempting US entry. But in practice, those countries (and any transit countries) can have their own travel restrictions that make it too convoluted and thus not feasible to travel to the US.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe "The President issued Proclamations 9984, 9992, and 9993, which suspends entry to nearly all foreign nationals who have been in China, Iran, and certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled travel to the U.S."

Proclamation 9993: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

https://lu.usembassy.gov/esta-cancellation-information-in-response-to-covid-19/ "If you have not been in the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding entry, and you are not departing from or transiting through the Schengen Area during your travel to the United States, then you are not subject to the Proclamation."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
57 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Technically, you can enter with the K-1 after spending 14 days in a country like South Korea, Belarus, etc. prior to attempting US entry. But in practice, those countries (and any transit countries) can have their own travel restrictions that make it too convoluted and thus not feasible to travel to the US.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/17/fact-sheet-dhs-notice-arrival-restrictions-china-iran-and-certain-countries-europe "The President issued Proclamations 9984, 9992, and 9993, which suspends entry to nearly all foreign nationals who have been in China, Iran, and certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled travel to the U.S."

Proclamation 9993: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

https://lu.usembassy.gov/esta-cancellation-information-in-response-to-covid-19/ "If you have not been in the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding entry, and you are not departing from or transiting through the Schengen Area during your travel to the United States, then you are not subject to the Proclamation."

Thank you for the info! Yes I’ve seen Jamaica, Barbados, Croatia & Romania (and I know there are probably more countries in Asia, Africa & South America but I haven’t checked) haven’t closed their borders for EU citizens but are enforcing a 2 week quarantine which wouldn’t be a problem of course. So I’m monitoring those closely. I have until June 25th which is when my visa expires but of course If I have to travel to another country for 2 weeks I would leave early June to make it to the US before the 25th. If anyone has any new info on the travel ban being extended or anything please let us know!

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 7:47 PM, melus said:

@geowrian: does Schengen Area ban include overseas territories that aren't actually part of Schengen? Such as:

• Greenland
  • Faroe Islands
  • French Guiana
  • Guadeloupe
  • Martinique
  • Mayotte
  • Réunion
  • French Polynesia
  • Wallis and Futuna
  • Saint Martin
  • Saint Barthélemy
  • Saint Pierre and Miquelon
  • Aruba
  • Curaçao
  • Sint Maarten
  • Caribbean Netherlands
  • Svalbard

Schengen Area proclamation didn't differentiate:

For purposes of this proclamation, the Schengen Area comprises 26 European states: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

The UK and Ireland proclamation did differentiate:

who were physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland

China proclamation also doesn't apply to HK and Macau:

who were physically present within the People’s Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau

Edited by HRQX

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
4 hours ago, HRQX said:

@geowrian: does Schengen Area ban include overseas territories that aren't actually part of Schengen? Such as:

• Greenland
  • Faroe Islands
  • French Guiana
  • Guadeloupe
  • Martinique
  • Mayotte
  • Réunion
  • French Polynesia
  • Wallis and Futuna
  • Saint Martin
  • Saint Barthélemy
  • Saint Pierre and Miquelon
  • Aruba
  • Curaçao
  • Sint Maarten
  • Caribbean Netherlands
  • Svalbard

Schengen Area proclamation didn't differentiate:

The UK and Ireland proclamation did differentiate:

China proclamation also doesn't apply to HK and Macau:

I originally come from Reunion island and I confirm French overseas territories for their part are not part of the Schengen area. Actually I used to work in the French Immigration field (inbounds) and foreign nationals who want to travel to French overseas need to apply for a specific visa (not the regular Schengen visa). 

Here is a French source from the Senate https://www.senat.fr/questions/base/1995/qSEQ950510986.html and another one from France-visa, the French government website for French visas: https://france-visas.gouv.fr/fr_FR/web/france-visas/competence-autorites-francaises

If you would like more source, I will be happy to share! 

Given that French overseas territories are not part of the Schengen area, I was assuming that they do not fall under the travel ban. (But not sure, so this could be an assumption...?) 

Was considering flying to Guadeloupe (because it is close to the US) and self-isolate during 14 days before entering the US, but I communicated with the local préfecture (local police) and I was told to get back to them after June 2nd because they were not sure when international flights from the island would resume. They were not even sure if end of June would be feasible. June 2nd is the day on which new measures should be implemented in Guadeloupe and I assume, in the other French overseas territories. 

Edited by dpnce

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.