LXK3X3

Visiting boyfriend in USA

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

My boyfriend (now fiancé) visited me on ESTA 5 times within the last 2 years and never had any issue at POE except the last time. They pulled him aside and asked him some questions just to make sure he didn’t have a job here (he visited me basically every 2-4 months. seems a little suspicious now that I think about it but we are in love! just want to be together!) Every time he said he was visiting his girlfriend! I would say you will be fine. Just try your best to remain calm and BE HONEST! 

Edited by emma24

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Nothing is guaranteed and I am of the school of thought that believes in giving CBP officers as little information as possible without being evasive or deceitful.

In your case however I think you should just say you’re visiting your boyfriend. From your writeup you’re a worrier and probably an interviewer can easily read your face, you don’t have the disposition for a poker face.

This is not the time to be cute with CBP officers with coronavirus and increased hostility of this administration towards immigrants. Be honest and direct, visiting boyfriend but don’t volunteer unnecessary details.

All things being equal and barring some very bad luck, you should be fine. And enough of reading online horror stories of people being refused.

Good luck

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, LXK3X3 said:

Hi There,

I honestly think the main reason I'm posting is for some reassurance and advice. I have really bad anxiety and am heading over to the USA to visit my boyfriend, this is our first time meeting. I'm there for 4 days and have my return flight as I have to be back home for work. 

So here is the backstory. When I was in my 20s, I was seeing someone in the USA. The last time I travelled there was 2005 where I was interrogated by border patrol and it terrified me. I was let in but after coming home, the relationship just wasn't working. 

Now I'm heading to meet my new boyfriend for the first time. I have been approved my ESTA, have my return flight, hotel info which is booked in my boyfriends name etc. We are going to be sightseeing etc. My boss is also sending me a message from her business account to state I work for her and am due back etc. 

In the last few days I've literally worried myself sick over going through border patrol. I have anxiety and I know I shouldn't read the forums but I'm really making myself ill. I've seen posts saying to say I'm just visiting a friend then others that say be completely open but don't give too much info. The thought of being turned away is terrifying me and I'm making myself ill. 

Am I worrying over nothing? I've lost count of the number of forums I've read. I intend to say I'm visiting someone I met online and we are going to be sightseeing. 

Any advice would be amazing. Sorry for the long story. 

Thanks. 

Where are you traveling from?  Hope you are not in Europe (except UK). 

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
Just now, LXK3X3 said:

UK.

You are lucky then.  President just announced a travel ban from Europe for 30 day.  Does not include UK.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LXK3X3 said:

My other anxious worry is this damn virus.

Be cautious and be safe.

Never, ever lie. It’s not illegal to have a boyfriend here (or even multiple boyfriends). It’s not illegal to visit the boyfriend(s). It’s absolutely illegal, not to mention foolish, to lie to CBP officers. They’ve seen it all before. They know every creative way of avoiding the questions. They're not stupid. 

A hotel is probably safer than his home. At least there will be people there if you need help. Ask for Angela if you need to. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
7 hours ago, lucardo3 said:

I would say visiting a friend and that`s it. Since you have second time having a boyfriend here, How do you meet them if you don`t mind me asking?

Don't say visiting a friend if he's your boyfriend. Then they will think you're a liar and things go downhill.

You were probably very young when they hassled you before. It's 15 years later, don't worry about that. They hassle 19 year olds a lot more than 34 year olds.

Just now, jaysaldi said:

Don't say visiting a friend if he's your boyfriend. Then they will think you're a liar and things go downhill.

You were probably very young when they hassled you before. It's 15 years later, don't worry about that. They hassle 19 year olds a lot more than 34 year olds.

That's what I thought. I'm going to tell them I'm there to see my boyfriend. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LXK3X3 said:

That's what I thought. I'm going to tell them I'm there to see my boyfriend. 

Don't carry a ton of luggage suggestive that you're immigrating. Don't carry copies of your CV, baby photos, family heirlooms, a wedding dress, a phone with incriminating messages  about your plans to work in the USA, etc.

Edited by jaysaldi

Just now, jaysaldi said:

Don't carry a ton of luggage suggestive that you're immigrating. Don't carry copies of your CV, baby photos, family heirlooms, a wedding dress, a phone with incriminating messages  about your plans to work in the USA, etc.

Oh no I won't have anything like that. I'll just have my clothes that I'm bringing and the only paperwork is for my flights, hotel, travel insurance etc. All of which are for the dates I'm there and no longer. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, LXK3X3 said:

Oh no I won't have anything like that. I'll just have my clothes that I'm bringing and the only paperwork is for my flights, hotel, travel insurance etc. All of which are for the dates I'm there and no longer. 

And bring cash or proof you can pay for the trip, etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.