Oroski

BAD! ROC + N400 Combo Interview Went BAD! (merged with update)

75 posts in this topic

Folks, Im here to tell a tale that just happened to me + my wife today at the Orlando office.
I do not know what to do next. Super nervous, sad, upset, and wife is super down as well.

SO! Here we go:

By the way, we've been married for almost 4 years, and been living together since than.

We arrived on time and everything went good. I had A bunch of documents on my hands and some 51 more recent photos I just printed the night before.

They gave us a number and asked us to wait. 20 minutes later a lady popped out of the door and called the number. Naturally me and my wife went in her directions, but she instructed that only me should proceed first. Ok. There I went.

We sat down and she ask what documents I had to show her. She was not specific at all. I handed all the docs required by the appointment letter and she took it.
She told me she had to proceed with the ROC interview first and than with the N-400.
She started asking me some base questions, like full name, date of birth and than starter asking questions about how me and my wife met. I was trying to answer the questions as clear as possible. Sometimes I asked her what she meant, to repeat it again, and she always did with some weird face. She was asking me to give her complete specific answers but the leads she gave me were vague. 
I remember at some point she asked me where did I met here. I answered Orlando. Than she asked me where again. I asked here what did she meant with that and she got angry saying that I was not giving complete answers. I figures she wanted the whole stories about the Questions. I was always apologetic and appreciative of her patience towards me. The interview continued for more than an hour and she was writing everything I was saying in the computer. She was constantly complaining about the computer system. Sometimes I was giving the most complete answers and she straight up cut me out saying that she didn't care AT ALL and that she just wanted a Yes or No. 
I couldn't figure how to deliver her the best answer possible in the best way possible and it was very frustrating. Felt like a torture. 
She asked some questions about my relationship with my wife, kids and plans for kids. I answer that we didn't have any plans for kids but we might adopt A kid in the future because of the condition my wife has. THAT WAS NOT ENOUGH FOR HER. She said these are important thing and I should discuss that with my wife. At some point she demanded a number of kids. I said we were not sure. She DEMANDED ONCE MORE, so I had to say one to please her. All the time, it felt like she was looking to find anything that could deny my case, instead of understanding our life and situation. Brutal.
Some questions about daily life I could answer because there are things I don't pay much attention. Every time I answered those questions starting with "I think" or "im not sure", she straight up said that it looks like we don't live together. ALL THE TIME! 
When she asked about tattoos, I told i had none and my wife had 13. After explaining some to her, she made a bad face and told me she hated tattoos. There was not once that something positive came out of her mouth. 
Some questions that she asked me made me wonder if she actually read the Applications. I understand they ask the same question several times, but it seemed to me that way.

When ROC was over and the N-400 started she did the civics test. When I asked her to repeat a question again, she got super upset and said that she already said it and that was all she was going to say.
She was complaining about the new job I got and that I did not updated my application, using word that seems like I done it on purpose to make her life more difficult.

Anyways, done with me... now it was my Wife time. 
I sat on the waiting room and after an hour my wife came back straight faced, with tears in her eyes asking for us to leave. I WAS SHOCKED!

Wife told me she could not figure out what she was asking. When she gave complete answers, she would complain. Short answers, complain again. At some point the interviewer raised her hands and slammed at the table, upset with my wife. She was apologetic as well but she couldn't hold it. At some point, my wife broke in tears in the middle of the interview. The interviewer than sad that That looked really bad to her, it looked like she was going to disappoint me in getting into this country and always upset in a loud tone. Interviewer asked my wife about kids again and, same thing happened, she had to make up a number to please her. All the time my wife was there the interviewer was saying to her that it looked like we did not lived together and that it sounded like she was just trying to get me into the country. In the end, she dismissed my wife pointing at the door and telling here to go. Nightmare.

BTW,  I passed the civic and english test.

We left there completely defeated, with a boulder in our chest and barely walking.

We are chill people. We were courteous and polite with her during the interview. I do not know if we did anything wrong but that was a reeeeeally bad interview.
I'm worried about the worst and do no know what could we do in that situation.

Once again, we've been married for almost 4 years and we want to continue together.

Please, Any help here will be very VERY appreciated.

Thank you all in this beautiful community for existing and for helping each other everyday!

Edited by Manecuneco

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Keep your head up and think positive.  It looks like you and your wife had a Stokes Interview for the ROC portion which is fairly rare IMO at this stage, and often IOs try to fluster the interviewee.  Hopefully all will be fine.  Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Thank you for your input Bill and Katia. Waiting for the letter in the mail. Have no idea how to proceed after that.
For 100% sure I'll keep this post updated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  Do try to think positively - it sounds like your officer was having a VERY bad day, and she took it out on both of you.

Sometimes you never really know what is going on behind the scenes.  I do hate it when officers ASSUME everyone wants children...

Please let us know what happens.  We are all trying to cheer you on!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Sukie, 
I appreciate all your compassion and sympathy. You're very kind.

It all happened at 9AM, but we're still lost trying to figure out what happened.

Thank you so much for your support. 

Hoping for the very best!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Manecuneco said:

Sukie, 
I appreciate all your compassion and sympathy. You're very kind.

It all happened at 9AM, but we're still lost trying to figure out what happened.

Thank you so much for your support. 

Hoping for the very best!

As awful as the officer probably was, sometimes it's not as bad as you think. No matter how mean or how offensive they may be, they can only follow the law and cannot deny you what is your lawful right. Besides being mean, they can delay your case but, again, as long as there is no material issues with your application, they cannot do anything but approve it.

Stay strong and try to handle the wait, which is the hardest part.

Good luck.

Mounat02, 
That helps a whole lot! I really appreciate those words.
I hope some mismatch answers are not enough to be proven material issues.

We'll try our best to follow your advice in this limbo time.

Once again, thank you so very much!

Im sorry for both of you. I completely know how you feel because I had an interview 3 years ago for my first green card. It was awful. We both were super upset because the interviewer was doing the same. But i thought the result would be bad too but turned out my case was approved. I think if you told her  the truth and you did nothing wrong. You will be fine. Dont worry and stay positive! 

ROC (I751) TIMELINE

02/06/19: Sent my package to USCIS Dallas Lockbox via UPS 2nd Air service

02/08/19: Package was received at 9:30 AM

02/20/19: Check was cashed at Dallas USCIS. Called them to get the case number

02/22/19: Received NOA with 18 months extension from Vermont

03/09/19: Received Biometric appointment letter

03/12/19: Completed early walk-in biometric in 10 minutes

02/28/20: Case was approved and New card is being produced 

03/03/20: Card was mailed to me 

2 hours ago, Manecuneco said:

When she asked about tattoos, I told i had none and my wife had 13. After explaining some to her, she made a bad face and told me she hated tattoos. There was not once that something positive came out of her mouth. 

My lawyer back during AOS strongly suggests that during in-person interview "Do not show any tattoos" because USCIS officer might assume that tattoo is a sign for a gang member. 

Welcome to USA, Hope your result will turn out better so you don't have to deal with USCIS ever again once your N400 is approved. 

Edited by xillini

3 hours ago, Manecuneco said:

Folks, Im here to tell a tale that just happened to me + my wife today at the Orlando office.
I do not know what to do next. Super nervous, sad, upset, and wife is super down as well.

SO! Here we go:

By the way, we've been married for almost 4 years, and been living together since than.

We arrived on time and everything went good. I had A bunch of documents on my hands and some 51 more recent photos I just printed the night before.

They gave us a number and asked us to wait. 20 minutes later a lady popped out of the door and called the number. Naturally me and my wife went in her directions, but she instructed that only me should proceed first. Ok. There I went.

We sat down and she ask what documents I had to show her. She was not specific at all. I handed all the docs required by the appointment letter and she took it.
She told me she had to proceed with the ROC interview first and than with the N-400.
She started asking me some base questions, like full name, date of birth and than starter asking questions about how me and my wife met. I was trying to answer the questions as clear as possible. Sometimes I asked her what she meant, to repeat it again, and she always did with some weird face. She was asking me to give her complete specific answers but the leads she gave me were vague. 
I remember at some point she asked me where did I met here. I answered Orlando. Than she asked me where again. I asked here what did she meant with that and she got angry saying that I was not giving complete answers. I figures she wanted the whole stories about the Questions. I was always apologetic and appreciative of her patience towards me. The interview continued for more than an hour and she was writing everything I was saying in the computer. She was constantly complaining about the computer system. Sometimes I was giving the most complete answers and she straight up cut me out saying that she didn't care AT ALL and that she just wanted a Yes or No. 
I couldn't figure how to deliver her the best answer possible in the best way possible and it was very frustrating. Felt like a torture. 
She asked some questions about my relationship with my wife, kids and plans for kids. I answer that we didn't have any plans for kids but we might adopt A kid in the future because of the condition my wife has. THAT WAS NOT ENOUGH FOR HER. She said these are important thing and I should discuss that with my wife. At some point she demanded a number of kids. I said we were not sure. She DEMANDED ONCE MORE, so I had to say one to please her. All the time, it felt like she was looking to find anything that could deny my case, instead of understanding our life and situation. Brutal.
Some questions about daily life I could answer because there are things I don't pay much attention. Every time I answered those questions starting with "I think" or "im not sure", she straight up said that it looks like we don't live together. ALL THE TIME! 
Some questions that she asked me made me wonder if she actually read the Applications. I understand they ask the same question several times, but it seemed to me that way.

When ROC was over and the N-400 started she did the civics test. When I asked her to repeat a question again, she got super upset and said that she already said it and that was all she was going to say.
She was complaining about the new job I got and that I did not updated my application, using word that seems like I done it on purpose to make her life more difficult.

I sat on the waiting room and after an hour my wife came back straight faced, with tears in her eyes asking for us to leave. I WAS SHOCKED!

Wife told me she could not figure out what she was asking. When she gave complete answers, she would complain. Short answers, complain again. At some point the interviewer raised her hands and slammed at the table, upset with my wife. She was apologetic as well but she couldn't hold it. At some point, my wife broke in tears in the middle of the interview. The interviewer than sad that That looked really bad to her, it looked like she was going to disappoint me in getting into this country and always upset in a loud tone. Interviewer asked my wife about kids again and, same thing happened, she had to make up a number to please her. All the time my wife was there the interviewer was saying to her that it looked like we did not lived together and that it sounded like she was just trying to get me into the country. In the end, she dismissed my wife pointing at the door and telling here to go. Nightmare.

We left there completely defeated, with a boulder in our chest and barely walking.

We are chill people. We were courteous and polite with her during the interview. I do not know if we did anything wrong but that was a reeeeeally bad interview.

Once again, we've been married for almost 4 years and we want to continue together.

Thank you all in this beautiful community for existing and for helping each other everyday!

Do both of you struggle with the English language?  Do you live together full-time?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Is there anything in your case that could have triggered this level of suspicion, any red flags? How much evidence did you send in initially when you filed the I-751?

Sorry you had to go through all that.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
6 hours ago, Manecuneco said:

SO! Here we go:

My (ex) husband had the same issue in the Orlando office. He originally had his interview for his ROC but they held off making a decision until after we had a consult with a well known lawyer in Orlando who recommended applying for the citizenship. It pushed them to make a decision on the ROC but it made the office push to have a second interview that included me. It was a literal nightmare! Finally they approved his citizenship but it was literally 5 years that he had been here in the US. The strain that it put upon us both pretty much sealed the doom of our marriage...Hold strong to each other and keep on keeping on!!! Good luck!!!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Lip Gallagher,

Thank you for your words. I sincerely hope everything turns the same way they turned to you.
Its difficult not to keep thinking about it, and since it was a terrifying experience, is even more difficult to let it go.

Once again, I appreciate your input!

Xillini, 

Thank you for your input. Everything being written here helps me trying to understand better the puzzle from yesterday.
Thats super weird. Some of her tattoos are visible, like a couple of lines she has in her right forearm, but other than that, they are pretty much all covered.
I hope this does not turn to be a bigger thing that it actually is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.