Oroski

BAD! ROC + N400 Combo Interview Went BAD! (merged with update)

75 posts in this topic

Like another poster suggested, file a complaint against the officer. Disrespect and abuse is NOT tolerated at the USCIS offices; bad day or not.

Here is the link for you to read up on: https://www.uscis.gov/archive/blog/2010/11/five-questions-and-answers-how-to

Sorry that you encountered this issue and I hope you try to stay positive about the outcome ❤️

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I so feel your pain if I didn't know any better I would have thought the officer we got flew to Orlando to do yours. we are in Houston and ours was last week on the 27th. We weren't separated but it was a nightmare I never expected.

Not hijacking your thread just letting you know you are not alone.

Here's our account and it seems to be happening more and more with these ROC applications waiting so long. We filed May 2018 and N-400 May 2019.

Well we had our combo interview and I must say I am soooooooooooooo pissed and upset. I truly got the adjudicator from 😈. She actually yelled and fussed at us like we were idiot children.

She had the nerve to yell this evidence is 2 years old (Did i sit on our case for 2 years). Lord. She asked for more evidence. I brought most recent taxes 2018 we have not filed 2019. She didn't want that.

Utilities in evidence in Hubbies name but I am added as authorized  or co-owner she said "You are the only person I know who can;t get a bill in both your names. Really!!

She had our joint account but said I don;t see where you are joint owners, ummm it's right there. I was one thing after another.

Her: Why don't you have health insurance under same plan.

Me:Because we are contractors with our companies so we have to get our own and it's cheaper separate

Her: Real married couples have life insurance why don't you have life insurance.

Me: I just had to breathe so I didn't jump over that desk.

Our joint accounts we are on each others at two different banks and we pay our bills. How big a deal is it that we don't deposit in each others account just pay bills from the accounts? Or send each other through Zelle or money transfer??

It was my bad to not come loaded with every piece of evidence updated. I submitted the same thing for the N-400 which was just last May but she was not hearing it. Just fixated the evidence was 2 years old. It was obvious she didn't even look at the ROC evidence which was 595 pages. We have joint custody of my 6 year old grandchild since she was 3.

The the wait for the N-14 that she said she didn't FEEL like typing up and giving us right then we would have to wait for it in the mail.

But hey but hubby passed the Citizenship part of interview. Wooowhoooo.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

2 hours ago, cd37 said:

👆This. We all meet lot of mean people in our life. The only thing we can do is to be respectful to them. You will be just fine with your case, if everything documentwise is fine, they cant deny you. Good luck.

cd37, 

Thank you for you advise!
I'm hoping that all de documents we sent were enough for them. I hope that in 500+ pages on both ROC and N-400 has something in our favor.
The interview part is where I feel most insecure, cuz I don't know if it has more importance than the documents we've sent.
Also, I don't know if they gonna analyze it all with a mean eye, like with their minds already decided in an answer.

Right now I've been following what you all are so kindly saying to me and trying to be as positive and hopeful as I can!

Once again, I appreciate your words!

2 hours ago, Amadia said:

Like another poster suggested, file a complaint against the officer. Disrespect and abuse is NOT tolerated at the USCIS offices; bad day or not.

Here is the link for you to read up on: https://www.uscis.gov/archive/blog/2010/11/five-questions-and-answers-how-to

Sorry that you encountered this issue and I hope you try to stay positive about the outcome ❤️

Amandia, 

I appreciate your support!
I feel its the right thing to do. Hopefully, after a positive outcome and all this chaos reaching for an end, I'll be strong enough to deal with them again.
The sad part is that I know there are great people over there. Its sad how a bad experience stains more than a good one.

We are trying not to talk about it too much and just focus on the good things of our days. 
Thank you so very much for your advise and you help!
You are all being very kind and helpful!

36 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

I so feel your pain if I didn't know any better I would have thought the officer we got flew to Orlando to do yours. we are in Houston and ours was last week on the 27th. We weren't separated but it was a nightmare I never expected.

Not hijacking your thread just letting you know you are not alone.

Here's our account and it seems to be happening more and more with these ROC applications waiting so long. We filed May 2018 and N-400 May 2019.

Well we had our combo interview and I must say I am soooooooooooooo pissed and upset. I truly got the adjudicator from 😈. She actually yelled and fussed at us like we were idiot children.

She had the nerve to yell this evidence is 2 years old (Did i sit on our case for 2 years). Lord. She asked for more evidence. I brought most recent taxes 2018 we have not filed 2019. She didn't want that.

Utilities in evidence in Hubbies name but I am added as authorized  or co-owner she said "You are the only person I know who can;t get a bill in both your names. Really!!

She had our joint account but said I don;t see where you are joint owners, ummm it's right there. I was one thing after another.

Me:Because we are contractors with our companies so we have to get our own and it's cheaper separate

Her: Real married couples have life insurance why don't you have life insurance.

Our joint accounts we are on each others at two different banks and we pay our bills. How big a deal is it that we don't deposit in each others account just pay bills from the accounts? Or send each other through Zelle or money transfer??

It was my bad to not come loaded with every piece of evidence updated. I submitted the same thing for the N-400 which was just last May but she was not hearing it. Just fixated the evidence was 2 years old. It was obvious she didn't even look at the ROC evidence which was 595 pages. We have joint custody of my 6 year old grandchild since she was 3.

The the wait for the N-14 that she said she didn't FEEL like typing up and giving us right then we would have to wait for it in the mail.

But hey but hubby passed the Citizenship part of interview. Wooowhoooo.

dwheels76, 

I am very sorry both of you had to pass through that kind of experience as well. I do not wish that upon anyone. 
And maybe you're right about the officer. Maybe it's this one officer that goes periodically to every office in the country to create some random chaos just for funzies... Just kidding....

In reality, the most frustrating part is when you feel like you have to follow some type of predetermined pattern of behaviors and life decisions in order to be categorized as having a """Real Marriage""", like there are no other options or paths in life to be taken, or even worst, your are wrong if you take them. Like not having kids, or not having joint bank account or joint health insurance..... Every relationship is unique and should not be subjected to one universal rule or path of behavior.
I just hope the officers really analyze each case individually without any bias.

But It makes me happy and strengthens the light in the end of my tunnel to know that, despite being an awful experience, both of you succeeded.
Not only for my selfish own comfort, but it makes me genuinely happy to hear about your success!

Congratulations for you both!

I really appreciate you sharing your experience and you input here!

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
On 3/6/2020 at 7:31 PM, Manecuneco said:

Folks, Im here to tell a tale that just happened to me + my wife today at the Orlando office.
I do not know what to do next. Super nervous, sad, upset, and wife is super down as well.

SO! Here we go:

By the way, we've been married for almost 4 years, and been living together since than.

We arrived on time and everything went good. I had A bunch of documents on my hands and some 51 more recent photos I just printed the night before.

They gave us a number and asked us to wait. 20 minutes later a lady popped out of the door and called the number. Naturally me and my wife went in her directions, but she instructed that only me should proceed first. Ok. There I went.

We sat down and she ask what documents I had to show her. She was not specific at all. I handed all the docs required by the appointment letter and she took it.
She told me she had to proceed with the ROC interview first and than with the N-400.
She started asking me some base questions, like full name, date of birth and than starter asking questions about how me and my wife met. I was trying to answer the questions as clear as possible. Sometimes I asked her what she meant, to repeat it again, and she always did with some weird face. She was asking me to give her complete specific answers but the leads she gave me were vague. 
I remember at some point she asked me where did I met here. I answered Orlando. Than she asked me where again. I asked here what did she meant with that and she got angry saying that I was not giving complete answers. I figures she wanted the whole stories about the Questions. I was always apologetic and appreciative of her patience towards me. The interview continued for more than an hour and she was writing everything I was saying in the computer. She was constantly complaining about the computer system. Sometimes I was giving the most complete answers and she straight up cut me out saying that she didn't care AT ALL and that she just wanted a Yes or No. 
I couldn't figure how to deliver her the best answer possible in the best way possible and it was very frustrating. Felt like a torture. 
She asked some questions about my relationship with my wife, kids and plans for kids. I answer that we didn't have any plans for kids but we might adopt A kid in the future because of the condition my wife has. THAT WAS NOT ENOUGH FOR HER. She said these are important thing and I should discuss that with my wife. At some point she demanded a number of kids. I said we were not sure. She DEMANDED ONCE MORE, so I had to say one to please her. All the time, it felt like she was looking to find anything that could deny my case, instead of understanding our life and situation. Brutal.
Some questions about daily life I could answer because there are things I don't pay much attention. Every time I answered those questions starting with "I think" or "im not sure", she straight up said that it looks like we don't live together. ALL THE TIME! 
When she asked about tattoos, I told i had none and my wife had 13. After explaining some to her, she made a bad face and told me she hated tattoos. There was not once that something positive came out of her mouth. 
Some questions that she asked me made me wonder if she actually read the Applications. I understand they ask the same question several times, but it seemed to me that way.

When ROC was over and the N-400 started she did the civics test. When I asked her to repeat a question again, she got super upset and said that she already said it and that was all she was going to say.
She was complaining about the new job I got and that I did not updated my application, using word that seems like I done it on purpose to make her life more difficult.

Anyways, done with me... now it was my Wife time. 
I sat on the waiting room and after an hour my wife came back straight faced, with tears in her eyes asking for us to leave. I WAS SHOCKED!

Wife told me she could not figure out what she was asking. When she gave complete answers, she would complain. Short answers, complain again. At some point the interviewer raised her hands and slammed at the table, upset with my wife. She was apologetic as well but she couldn't hold it. At some point, my wife broke in tears in the middle of the interview. The interviewer than sad that That looked really bad to her, it looked like she was going to disappoint me in getting into this country and always upset in a loud tone. Interviewer asked my wife about kids again and, same thing happened, she had to make up a number to please her. All the time my wife was there the interviewer was saying to her that it looked like we did not lived together and that it sounded like she was just trying to get me into the country. In the end, she dismissed my wife pointing at the door and telling here to go. Nightmare.

BTW,  I passed the civic and english test.

We left there completely defeated, with a boulder in our chest and barely walking.

We are chill people. We were courteous and polite with her during the interview. I do not know if we did anything wrong but that was a reeeeeally bad interview.
I'm worried about the worst and do no know what could we do in that situation.

Once again, we've been married for almost 4 years and we want to continue together.

Please, Any help here will be very VERY appreciated.

Thank you all in this beautiful community for existing and for helping each other everyday!

if your marriage is real and bona fide even a judge cannot deny you .

be honest dont lie be honest at my aos me and my wife had stoke intervieuw during an hour 

me and my wife straight forward no stress relax even at the end i was asking the immigration  office where is  located the starbucks coffee ?

\be  honest gather all your evidence !!!!!

dont lie dont create number be honest they are not god  they are just human being doint there job .

if the marriage is bonafide  go to sleep be relax

hey maneco,

Im from Brazil as well.

everything is gonna be ok. maybe you gonna have some "stress" because of that but im 100% sure you gonna get your greecard and your citizenship....

she probably is an angry mean person and probably got irritated with you "English".... I also live in Orlando and and I've encountered people being mean to me coz of my English.... 

but don't worry. they NOT gonna deny your case! Im a 100% sure!

by the way: I have a friend who went for a interview few weeks ago ( Brazilian guy in Orlando as well ) for the first green card, and the officer asked my friend a lot of crazy questions like "what is your wife favorite brands? ; where your wife does her hair and her nails? what is your wife dream?????  he had no idea of the answers....and said "I don't know "....finally the officer got upset and asked "if I deny your green card, what you gonna do? are u taking your wife to Brazil?" my friend told me he was really upset at that moment and speechless. He said "I don't know how to answer your question, but I ll seek legal advice before I make any decision that will affect my family".....

they got approved same day few hour later

4 hours ago, dwheels76 said:

That makes no sense, most companies have a surcharge for adding a spouse to a health insurance plan if the spouse qualifies for health insurance through their own job, it could be $100 a month extra! What a ridiculous statement! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I work for the state government and I know some people get this way with the cases they are handling. (I don't like it when they do that) I think it's just not fair,  everyone should be treated with respect and dignity they deserve and not try to make things difficult for people. I pray it all works out.

Edited by PrisEri

11 hours ago, mseck8688 said:

if your marriage is real and bona fide even a judge cannot deny you .

be honest dont lie be honest at my aos me and my wife had stoke intervieuw during an hour 

me and my wife straight forward no stress relax even at the end i was asking the immigration  office where is  located the starbucks coffee ?

\be  honest gather all your evidence !!!!!

dont lie dont create number be honest they are not god  they are just human being doint there job .

if the marriage is bonafide  go to sleep be relax

mseck8688,

Thank you for you advices!
Thats one point that have been bothering me a lot: both me and my wife HAD TO create numbers a couple of times because the IO wouldn't set with and answer like "We don't know" or "We haven't decided yet".
But I super hope these mismatched answers doesn't affect the whole case.
In the meantime we've been comforting each other and trying staying positive.

I appreciate your word of advice!

10 hours ago, monicavlad said:

hey maneco,

Im from Brazil as well.

everything is gonna be ok. maybe you gonna have some "stress" because of that but im 100% sure you gonna get your greecard and your citizenship....

she probably is an angry mean person and probably got irritated with you "English".... I also live in Orlando and and I've encountered people being mean to me coz of my English.... 

but don't worry. they NOT gonna deny your case! Im a 100% sure!

by the way: I have a friend who went for a interview few weeks ago ( Brazilian guy in Orlando as well ) for the first green card, and the officer asked my friend a lot of crazy questions like "what is your wife favorite brands? ; where your wife does her hair and her nails? what is your wife dream?????  he had no idea of the answers....and said "I don't know "....finally the officer got upset and asked "if I deny your green card, what you gonna do? are u taking your wife to Brazil?" my friend told me he was really upset at that moment and speechless. He said "I don't know how to answer your question, but I ll seek legal advice before I make any decision that will affect my family".....

they got approved same day few hour later

monicavlad, 

The crazy part is that she got upset with my wife's english as well, and she is born and raised here!
There were a lot of moments in the interview that we felt completely lost. Maybe is their technique to conduct that type of interview, but its difficult to think when you don't know what to think.

About the interview... Thats insane! These questions are crazy! I wonder if it wasn't the same officer that did my interview. I sorry he had to pass through that same bad experience but I'm legitimately happy his scenario got the best outcome!

I hope we can share the same result when the letter arrives!
I really appreciate your kind words and you sharing this experience here!
Thanks you for helping us being stronger!

10 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

That makes no sense, most companies have a surcharge for adding a spouse to a health insurance plan if the spouse qualifies for health insurance through their own job, it could be $100 a month extra! What a ridiculous statement! 

Orangesapples,

Right??
I just don't get how they get to throw all these crazy statements and yet demand a "right" answer.

48 minutes ago, PrisEri said:

I work for the state government and I know some people get this way with the cases they are handling. (I don't like it when they do that) I think it's just not fair,  everyone should be treated with respect and dignity they deserve and not try to make things difficult for people. I pray it all works out.

PrisEri, 

My wife's been working with costumer service for more than 10 years now. When I speculated the fact the IO might been having a rough day, she immediately answered that in 10 years of her dealing with people, she never let personal issues affect other peoples days. Upon her eyes, that is perpetuating a bad feeling, or energy, that should never go ahead. And thats true! Sometimes we had our disagreements and she went to work all sad and down, but when I went to visit here, she was being peppy and cheerful with costumers, despite still being sad.

Its not easy, but it is fair with people not to make their lives more difficult because of something they did not do.

Thank you so very much for you input and your praying!
I appreciate it very much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Manecuneco said:

The crazy part is that she got upset with my wife's english as well, and she is born and raised here!
There were a lot of moments in the interview that we felt completely lost. Maybe is their technique to conduct that type of interview, but its difficult to think when you don't know what to think.

About the interview... Thats insane! These questions are crazy! I wonder if it wasn't the same officer that did my interview. I sorry he had to pass through that same bad experience but I'm legitimately happy his scenario got the best outcome!

Not quite extreme vetting (or enhanced interrogation) questions but, rarely, people have had unannounced visits to their homes at odd hours to ensure they actually live there as couples.

Remember one thing, when you're already in a heightened emotional state (such as green card interview) even mildly stern questioning may seem like a violation of your human rights. :)

Hopefully this is nothing and you laugh about it in a few days or weeks.

3 hours ago, Mounat02 said:

Not quite extreme vetting (or enhanced interrogation) questions but, rarely, people have had unannounced visits to their homes at odd hours to ensure they actually live there as couples.

Remember one thing, when you're already in a heightened emotional state (such as green card interview) even mildly stern questioning may seem like a violation of your human rights. :)

Hopefully this is nothing and you laugh about it in a few days or weeks.

Mounat02, 

Honestly I started to wonder if meanwhile we wait for the letter, if it would be possible to receive such visits. I would like to know that.
And yeas, That's what I'm most hoping!
May your words be 200% true!

I appreciate your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.