kasper-k

any experience with writ of mandamus for I751

109 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, jakelake said:

Why is your I-751 petition still pending, if that is what you are filing? What country is the petitioner from? 

It seems that the issues that you are describing would have more likely occurred when filing the I-130. If you were granted a visa, then that means suspicion of fraud or any issues with background check would have already been cleared.

Of course, when filing to remove conditions, USCIS will still look to see if there are any fraud.

The only excuses they gave me is background checks, and nothing have changed in my status, if there was any fraud detected they would ask for evidence ? also when I applied for N400 the background checks was cleared and I was called for an interview and I passed the test, so it doesn't make any sense, N400 background checks should be more strict than I751 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I'm trying to get a feel for what's going on.

It seems to me that you are hiding something.

Why do you not want to divulge the petitioner's country?

why would I hide, I might not provided all details, because my question was more to WOM, but back in 2018 I applied for N400 while I751 was pending, I was called for an interview for N400, the officer was not happy with the fact that I applied for both cases at the same time, she checked my file and wasn't happy with the evidence, she interviewed me and my wife, then told us she will ask for more documents and she will send us a letter, explaining what we need to do. I never received anything from them so I made an info pass appointment and took more proofs ( same proofs the officer was asking about during the interview since I didn't take any with me that time). after a year they rescheduled my N400 interview, I went again with my wife hoping to have a joint interview and end this nightmare, unfortunately, they only ask about N400 and I passed the test but they said they have to wait for the decision of I751, this was back in June 2019. no updates since then.
Last September 2019, I went to have an info pass to extend my I515, I asked the officer about the status of my case, he said that the background check was completed and my case is in the queue waiting to be reviewed by a supervisor, however, all service requests still come up as waiting for background checks. 
I'm from Algeria. 
I've been married since 2015, living together filing taxes together, life and health insurance, trips, bills, no criminal records, I came here as a student and I'm still a student finishing my master's this year. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
15 minutes ago, kasper-k said:

I'm from Algeria

That may be your answer right there. You should have revealed this earlier after I asked instead of giving bits and pieces of your story and leading us on a wild goose chase fact finding odyssey.

Google Controlled Application Review and Resolution Program (CARRP), things will become clearer to you. I suppose you’re a Muslim?

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

4 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

That’s your answer right there. You should have revealed this earlier after I asked instead of giving bits and pieces of your story and leading us on a wild goose chase fact finding odyssey.

Google Controlled Application Review and Resolution Program (CARRP), things will become clearer to you. I suppose you’re a Muslim?

I see your point. I looked it up and I'm now terrified, yes I'm Muslim, so what should I do ? how do I know if I'm listed in that program ? will filling for WOM helps ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

That may be your answer right there. You should have revealed this earlier after I asked instead of giving bits and pieces of your story and leading us on a wild goose chase fact finding odyssey.

I just read it, looks like you nailed that exactly.  I have never even heard of that. really sucks for the OP, and I think from what I read the chances of ever getting the 751 approved is .0001 percent. Pretty shady considering OP has been here 5 years with no problems, you think that would count for something.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 hours ago, kasper-k said:

I see your point. I looked it up and I'm now terrified, yes I'm Muslim, so what should I do ? how do I know if I'm listed in that program ? will filling for WOM helps ?

If you are on that list/program, then the WoM may be your only option.  Sounds like it may be expensive, and you may want to find an attorney that specializes in it.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, kasper-k said:

Scary stuff and unfortunately very little you can do. I've never heard of this CARRP but apparently it existed for sometime and through multiple administrations.

Like others have suggested, you need sound legal advice from a competent immigration attorney.

Good luck.

Edit: You could also seek help from the ACLU but that might just annoy USCIS and make matters worse for you as they have mostly an adversarial relationship.

Edited by Mounat02

3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

If you are on that list/program, then the WoM may be your only option.  Sounds like it may be expensive, and you may want to find an attorney that specializes in it.

Good Luck!

Not really. I was watching that documentary about the Iranian husband, who was on the list while applying for I-485 (plus He lied about being in Military at 18, defo more complex case than the OP), and nothing worked out for them for 5 years. Either way, If he is on the list, and ended up filing WoM, the USCIS will tell the judge it is a national security case, and they can't approve it, and the judge will basically hold their decision. Thus, the case most likely get denied under that "National Security" Umbrella, and the OP will be in a bigger mess.  

I don't think any of us, or any Immigration Court can help at this point. 

Good Luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
45 minutes ago, DSOTM1973 said:

Not really. I was watching that documentary about the Iranian husband, who was on the list while applying for I-485 (plus He lied about being in Military at 18, defo more complex case than the OP), and nothing worked out for them for 5 years. Either way, If he is on the list, and ended up filing WoM, the USCIS will tell the judge it is a national security case, and they can't approve it, and the judge will basically hold their decision. Thus, the case most likely get denied under that "National Security" Umbrella, and the OP will be in a bigger mess.  

I don't think any of us, or any Immigration Court can help at this point. 

Good Luck

You are right, I read about that case.  Might be a case for the ACLU, but not sure if there is anything they can do either.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, DSOTM1973 said:

Either way, If he is on the list, and ended up filing WoM, the USCIS will tell the judge it is a national security case, and they can't approve it, and the judge will basically hold their decision. Thus, the case most likely get denied under that "National Security" Umbrella, and the OP will be in a bigger mess.  

Exactly what I told him in a PM. Best advice to him is to not stress and go about life until it works itself out. Easy for me to say though since I'm not in his shoes.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think the member mindthegap was going to file a writ of mandamus on his i-751 case a few months ago. Maybe he'll weigh in on this thread as his case has been pending a long time, too.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

CARPP involvement is possible. But also given the OP's case history, it might also be completely unrelated. It's not unheard of for this kind of delay when they suspect fraud either.

WoM is certainly on the table as an option here, if you want to go through the process. Seek a an attorney experienced with both WoMs and ROC.

As you're aware, it may or may not work in your favor. Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

15 hours ago, Russ&Caro said:

I think the member mindthegap was going to file a writ of mandamus on his i-751 case a few months ago. Maybe he'll weigh in on this thread as his case has been pending a long time, too.

Still thinking about it...

My FOIA request returned with so many redacted pages it is next to useless...I did find out a handful of minor details I wasn't aware of before, but undecided how to proceed at this point. 

It has now been more than 12 months since my N-400 interview was cancelled on the day and promised an expedited reschedule (ha!) and now 2.5 years since the second I-751 was filed. If I had had my N-400 interview then a writ would be more appropriate, but as I haven't it is a little more unclear, despite both being classed as well outside of normal processing time.

USCIS. Absolute ****ing clowns the lot of them.

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.