10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all,

I got an SSN before I got married, and now I'm thinking of going to the Social Security office to have my info updated to my married name. However, I found this on the Social Security website:

" Corrected Card for a Noncitizen Adult
If you change your name, become a U.S. citizen, or your immigration status or work authorization has changed, you need to tell Social Security so we can update our records and when necessary, issue a new card. "

Source: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

The thing is, my AOS packet is still pending. Once my applications come through, am I supposed to "declare" to Social Security that AOS and EAD have been approved? Does that mean I shouldn't have my name updated until then? Because I might be wasting a whole trip/process if I'd have to come back after approval anyways.

Need advice on the matter.

Edited by Del A.
added SSA website link

Timeline

Okay, I may have realized something. Perhaps my question should be disregarded because it's better to have an updated name on my SSN regardless of the AOS coming through yet or not, given that I will be using my SSN for various things anyways: bank accounts, insurance, etc. I hope I am correct in saying this. Also, I feel silly now about not wanting to do multiple trips. 😅 Trying to be too economical I guess.

18 minutes ago, Del A. said:

Okay, I may have realized something. Perhaps my question should be disregarded because it's better to have an updated name on my SSN regardless of the AOS coming through yet or not, given that I will be using my SSN for various things anyways: bank accounts, insurance, etc. I hope I am correct in saying this. Also, I feel silly now about not wanting to do multiple trips. 😅 Trying to be too economical I guess.

You can go and take your marriage certificate to the SSA in order to change the name on the social security card 

1 hour ago, Del A. said:

Hello all,

I got an SSN before I got married, and now I'm thinking of going to the Social Security office to have my info updated to my married name. However, I found this on the Social Security website:

" Corrected Card for a Noncitizen Adult
If you change your name, become a U.S. citizen, or your immigration status or work authorization has changed, you need to tell Social Security so we can update our records and when necessary, issue a new card. "

Source: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

The thing is, my AOS packet is still pending. Once my applications come through, am I supposed to "declare" to Social Security that AOS and EAD have been approved? Does that mean I shouldn't have my name updated until then? Because I might be wasting a whole trip/process if I'd have to come back after approval anyways.

Need advice on the matter.

We went on January 7 to correct my wife’s name and guess what still no card. We have our interview tomorrow. So once we are approved and my wife has her green card we will be going back to social security to update again. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Zach2015 said:

We went on January 7 to correct my wife’s name and guess what still no card. We have our interview tomorrow. So once we are approved and my wife has her green card we will be going back to social security to update again. 

Ugh, sorry to hear about that delay... Can't think of why that should happen.

Good luck on your interview!

Timeline
18 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You can go and take your marriage certificate to the SSA in order to change the name on the social security card

Sigh...... The SSA here in Muskegon, MI told me they couldn't use my marriage certificate alone to change my name.... Said I have to go back once I get my green card....... I'm super bummed

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Del A. said:

Sigh...... The SSA here in Muskegon, MI told me they couldn't use my marriage certificate alone to change my name.... Said I have to go back once I get my green card....... I'm super bummed

Or the EAD whichever comes earlier.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 2/18/2020 at 1:54 PM, Del A. said:

Happened to us too.  Courthouse rushed us through the marriage paperwork (they wanted to go home early they said.... 😕 ) so we weren't able to change her name at the time.  Did a court order, got her name changed, went back to SSA.  Five weeks later they tell us too bad we're past the 90 days come back with a green card and then they will change the name on her social security card.  Got her combo card a while ago, but haven't needed to work or travel, so just kinda didn't get back to change it. 

Personally I'd wait for either the EAD card or the green card.  The green card you get to remove the "valid only with dhs etc...." line too

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to SSN from AOS. Topic is about changing name on SSN~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.