Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'name change'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Family & Marriage Based US Visa Immigration Discussion
    • K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures
    • IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures
    • Direct Consular Filing (DCF) General Discussion
    • Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America
    • Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America
    • What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration
  • Non-Family Based US Visa Discussion
    • Tourist Visas
    • Work Visas
    • Student & Exchange Visitor Visas
    • Diversity Lottery Visas
    • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Consulate & USCIS Service Center Discussion
    • National Visa Center (Dept of State)
    • US Embassy and Consulate Discussion
    • Waivers (I-601 and I-212) and Administrative Processes (221g)
    • USCIS Service Centers
  • US Visa Holder and Permanent Resident Immigration Discussion
    • Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas
    • Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas
    • Working & Traveling During US Immigration
    • Tax & Finances During US Immigration
    • Removing Conditions on Residency General Discussion
    • US Citizenship General Discussion
    • Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits
    • Military Immigration-Related Discussion
    • General Immigration-Related Discussion
  • General Discussion Area
    • Off Topic
    • Games While You Wait
    • Regional Discussion
    • Moving to the US and Your New Life In America
    • Finding Work in America
    • Emigrating Outside the US
    • Current Events and Hot Social Topics
    • Introducing our Members
    • General Polls
    • US Immigration News and Discussion
    • Site-Related Discussion - Updates, Ideas, etc.
  • Moderator and Organizer Forums (Hidden)

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



miles from

Is online?

Has photo?

Content Count

Between and

Last Visit

Between and



Immigration Status

Place benefits filed at

Local Office


Our Story

Found 41 results

  1. Hello! I'm a transgirl, and I have a few questions in relation to K-1 visa... After I am given the K-1 Visa by the US consulate and arrive in the U.S. and marry my fiancé, is it possible to go to therapists/psychologists and legally change my name and gender while waiting for the Green Card? If not, is it possible to do so when I get the Green Card? And what are the documents needed to show proof of said change? Is it perhaps better to transition prior to moving to the U.S. and then move in, or is it possible to transition in the U.S. as an immigrant? tl;dr: Can I change my name and gender as an immigrant, or is it better to transition before? Thanks a lot in advance!
  2. I know this topic has been discussed before, but those threads are years old, so thought I'd get a fresh perspective. We're planning a county clerk marriage in two days. Haven't yet decided whether she'll keep her Chinese surname, or take mine (and use her Chinese surname as a new "middle name"). Here's a brief summary of some of the pros and cons I identified in earlier threads on this topic. Are there any others to be aware of? Pros (partial list): I didn't actually see this directly stated anywhere, but it occurs to me that one benefit of a Chinese wife taking her American husband's surname is that it counts towards the "relationship bonafides" evidence list. (is this true?) Helps beneficiary more thoroughly adapt to life in America, an English language environment, etc For those worried about the maiden name on her Chinese passport not matching her married name on her travel document, she can always get an "addendum" page added to her Chinese passport (thanks @RandyW ) Cons (partial list): In 2013, @Darnell wrote that his Chinese wife keeping her maiden surname "Makes ID very easy - just think about changing her hukuo book, china id card, china passport, etc - what a PITA !" (My question to Darnell, updated to 2019, is this: is it really necessary for her to actually change her hukou book, China ID card, Chinese passport, etc? I guess if her passport was about to expire it might be an issue, but my fiancee's is good for 7 years. If she did take my name, couldn't she just keep her Chinese documents for use in China, and use her US documents in the US? As for airlines it appears that the marriage certificate should "connect" the maiden to the married name. I suppose the hassle is one isn't really given a chance to submit a marriage certificate in the airline ticket online booking process, triggering the need for phone booking, which can have extra costs?) Keeping her maiden name is a sign of respect for her heritage and culture. It's a way for her to keep a visceral connection with her homeland. And on the practical side, her Chinese surname is very easy to read and pronounce by Americans (unlike certain Chairmans of the Party's Chinese surnames).
  3. So my fiance (female) came to the US on a K1. We got married and need to know how to exactly do the name change for her last name. We got the social security card in her maiden name because they wouldn't let us get it with my last name unless I went to Homeland Security. As of now we dont know what to do for the work permit and green card for her name (maiden or new last name). Am I allowed to do a name change on her social security card now with the marriage certificate so the rest of the applications can have her marriage name? Or I can only change all the names after she gets the green card? Thanks,
  4. Some advice needed as calling the NVC didn't help at all. Our situation: We have been approved through USCIS and now waiting for the NVC case number. All of the paperwork with I-130 has been filled out with my wife's maiden name. She will be getting a new passport soon and will be changing her name to her married name. We haven't started the DS-260 yet and she doesn't have the new passport to make a photocopy for the required documents. Should we fill out the DS-260 with her married name? Should we wait until the interview to show the new passport and have the name changed then? I fear that if the DS-260 doesn't have her married name, we will run into some problems at the interview. Any advice would be helpful. :-) (We will be going to the Ukrainian Consulate)
  5. I thought this might help those of us considering a legal name change. The N400 application is (in most cases) a great time to legally change your name. It's fast and it's free. Outside of the N400 process, a name change requires a visit to your local courthouse, may require a public announcement in a newspaper (depending on your state and local laws) and will cost you money. In New York City, the cost is about $65 while on Houston it is over $400, so cost varies from city to city. You can change your name to anything you want within certain limitations. You can't change your name to impersonate someone or in an attempt to hide your identity for illegal purposes. Other than that, it's up to you. If you are Arthur Robert Wilkinson, you can become Geraldo Mohamed Leibowitz. It's important to note that if you are just changing your last name to take your spouse's last name or to revert to your maiden name, then a legal name change is not required. This is because a marriage certificate or a divorce certificate acts as proof of legal name change. This is true EVEN IF your certificate does not show the new name that you want to take. For example, if Anita Mary Harrolds marries Geraldo Mohamed Leibowitz, she can legally be known as Anita Mary Leibowitz even though that name does not appear anywhere on the certificate. In fact, she can also hyphenate both last names without a legal name change. However, if she wanted to change her middle name from Mary to Margaret, she would need a legal name change. To request a legal name change through the naturalization process, fill out the name change section of the N400. The interviewer may ask you to confirm that you still want to change your name because some people change their minds between the application and the interview. The interviewer may ask for proof of your current legal name. In case of a discrepancy between your green card and your passport, a birth, marriage, divorce, or name change certificate determines your current name, so make sure you have these with you (if they apply in your case...it's always a good idea to have your translated birth certificate with you at the interview). The interviewer will print out some forms (three I think) for you to check and sign. These should have your old and new names on them. You will have to be scheduled for a judicial oath ceremony. This is because USCIS does not have the legal authority to change your name and must ask a judge to do so. If your city has regular judicial ceremonies then there shouldn't be any delays. If your city holds regular administrative ceremonies, but not many judicial ceremonies, then the name change may cause a delay. Some cities (including San Francisco and San Jose) have stopped scheduling judicial ceremonies altogether. Applicants in these cities cannot legally change their names through the N400 application. Your interviewer will inform you of this and will cross out the name change section during the interview. You will have to request a regular name change before or after naturalization if you live in these cities (see above). At your oath ceremony you will be given your naturalization certificate as well as a name change certificate signed by a judge. This second certificate will show your old and new names and you'll need it to update your name with your banks, on your drivers license, credit cards, etc. In addition to doing all the paperwork to make these changes, you'll also have to consider the effect of the name change if you have dual citizenship; your name on your two passports may not match and your other country may require you to go through different name change procedures or may not allow name changes at all. People do travel using passports with different names, but you have to be careful when booking tickets and you may want to travel with your name change certificate (and translations). If you want to check whether or not (and how often) judicial ceremonies are held in your location, find your office here and look under naturalization ceremonies: http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices
  6. Hi! I am based in London with a valid 10 year-tourist visa. My husband, who is based in America, and I just recently got married. I am on the process of getting a new passport bearing my husband’s last name. Few months ago, we already started my petition paper. Since my petition won’t be finalised until probably next year, I would still want to visit him every now and then. The problem is, I am on the process of getting a new passport using my married name. Based on your experiences, will I be able to travel to US with the given situation? I wanted to hear your experiences. According to travel.state.gove, “If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered name change, you will need to obtain a new passport. Once you have a new passport, the Department of State recommends that you apply for a new U.S. visa to make it easier for you to travel to and from the United States.” The dilemma is I don't think I will be approved of a new tourist visa if I apply since I have a pending petition to be an immigrant.
  7. Is name change important in this process? How many ladies/men changed their last name or not and how did it affect your process as a whole. Thank you
  8. Hi everyone! Idk if this is the right forum to ask, please move if not. Thank you! Married March 2018 PD June 2018 130 approved December 2018 DQ/CC June 2019 From USCIS stage to NVC stage we used my maiden name. I haven’t change any yet and planning to change it when I renew passport next year. Now i’m waiting for interview date and I will still be using my current passport with my maiden name. Is it possible to request that my GC and SSN will be my married name during the interview to avoid paying more fees when I get to the US and change names on both GC and SSN? Can I do this at the interview or how do I start? Thank you so much.
  9. Does anyone have any USCIS EVIDENCE that proves that my marriage certificate that only states my maiden name rather than both my married name AND my maiden name is a valid. I COMPLETELY understand that I can elect to take my spouse's married name simply because it is listed on our MC but I got an RFIE for both I765 and I131 for "the name you provided on Form XXX does not match your name in other USCIS records". I totally understand too that they could have simply lost my MCs but the RFIE goes on to state "Provide evidence that the name change was completed according to the relevant state (or foreign) law" so my concern is that line there as I have no evidence that the name change is actually legal. I'm going to call the county clerk on Monday to find out if they can issue you me something that states that MCs in their county don't indicate the new married name and only the maiden name. What do you think?
  10. Hi there. So I just got married with my husband a few weeks ago and I applied for Advanced Parole travel document under my married name. I remember back in the seminar in CFO that whenever I go back to the Philippines and then return to the US, the immigration officer will always ask for the certificate that I have completed the seminar. But the passport and the certificate that I have and the sticker that is attached in my passport are all in my maiden name. These documents wont show the same name as the one that will be in my travel document. So should I update the name that appears on my passport to my married name and will that still bear the same passport number? And how do I do that? All other IDs that I got when I got here in the US are all under my married name.
  11. Hi guys, I wanted to know how to complete the N-400 as there is a section that asks for the current legal name which apparently should be as per the birth certificate (BC). While applying for residency, it was never asked to provide this name from the BC, instead I was asked to provide as per my passport, so the name that I've used since then is always the name on my passport. Now the issue is like this. Let say I was born Mathew, but my passport had my name Matthew and I've always used the name in my passport as my legal name. I have all the passports from the time I was born to show the difference between my BC and the Passport. Now, what is the best way to enter my name on the application without causing too many problems?
  12. Hello, I apologize if I'm asking something that's clearly written on 20 posts, but I just want to confirm from people who have actually done this (rather than a lot of hypotheticals.) My wife received her CR1 interview letter today, interview scheduled for May 22, which is very exciting! We have done all the paperwork ourselves, no lawyer, and so far so good. All paperwork has been filled out with her new Married name. The only issue that we didn't notice until just now is that NVC has been referring to her as her Maiden name. I understand now (which I did not before) that the Green Card will be issued only to the name on the passport. So in my mind, here are the possible scenarios: A) Attend interview, hope to present/reference marriage certificate with new name, cross our fingers and hope they put married name on visa? or B) Attend interview content with the fact that they will use her maiden name and we will have to go through all the processes later to change it. **Issues with both of the above: I have read some people have visas denied due to mismatching last name/improper name change documentation. (Ours is a California-issued marriage certificate with the name change on it) or C) Apply for an expedited UK passport with new name which should arrive within a week (lots of time before interview), and take new and old passport to interview **Issue in my mind: New document the NVC had never seen, will this cause an issue that it doesn't match what we've submitted and the name they've been using for her? I hope I've thought this all through and if not, feel free to let me know what I've missed. I'd appreciate if anyone has successfully completed options A or C. We are getting so excited for this incredible milestone and for this process to be over. We don't want to screw it up at the last step. If I tell my wife "I don't know, I've never done this before either" again, she might just call off the whole process 😂 Thanks so much in advance! I wish I had been using this site from the very start of our process! -T
  13. My dutch name on my passport and birth certificate has no middle name. I am planning to use my husband's last name for AOS. Based on my experience U.S. Names have middle names. Should I use my maiden last name as my new middle name? or should I not use a middle name on my U.S. documents? Note: If I apply for a new dutch passport they only include "wife of ..." Just wondered if this creates conflict with everything.
  14. Hello to all my visajourney advisors, Before the approval of my spouse’s I-130, I officially changed my last name (social security, and driver license) the DOS said that they were not able to change my last name since the case was not yet moved to them but the USCIS officially changed my last name on the case. Now hat the case is at the NVC, they are saying that they can’t change my name without my current last name being on my visa (but they replied to me using the current[married] last name). My problem is that I have to file taxes and desire to visit my husband. The thought of me getting another passport and visa is just too much right now. Do so I have to get a new passport right now? Should I worry myself about my last name? I really desire direction in this matter. Responses and guidance would really be appreciated. Thanks for your responses in advance.
  15. Hi Everyone, I just wanted to check if anyone here has had an experience changing their name as part of the N-400 process in Philadelphia. Does this cause a delay in the citizenship process? Does the oath and name change ceremony happen together? Does anyone know how frequently the Judicial ceremony happens in Philadephia and if not does anyone know how one can find this info?
  16. Hello, I really hope someone would be able to share their experience with me. So I'm having my oath ceremony in mid February, and I plan to apply for my passport soon after. I have an upcoming international trip in late April, which leaves about 9-10 weeks from my oath ceremony to my travel date. What confuses me is that, I'm changing my name during naturalization. I'm originally from Taiwan, and my name is Yi-Wen Chang (this is an example not real), sometimes that hyphen in my name gets omitted. Now, I'm changing my name to Jessica Yiwen Chang Brown, the reason being I've been using my English name since a long time ago, and I changed my last name to my married name. My question is here, when I apply for my passport after oath, would it be a problem that my government ID still shows my old name? While the NC shows my new name. On passport application form, it asks you to list out all other names you've used, I listed my old one, is that enough? Thank you.
  17. I had my interview today, passed my civic test but the officer needed updated documents from me that wasn’t on list to bring . I got flustered, I truly could not remember what happened afterwards. She just then told me that they will send me a letter and it will state what documents they need. Has anyone heard of any same cases like mine? I am now really depressed. I thought we were done with everything to.any information would be helpful
  18. Hi all, I just had my naturalization interview today 04/24/2018, and thought of coming up here and share my experience you y'all. A little background info., I submitted my application online on 01/12/2018, received biometric notice on 01/13/2018 scheduled 01/31/2018 for fingerprint. Then 03/15/2018 received notice for an interview scheduled on 04/24/2018 at 09:45 am. Interview took place at DTLA's federal building. I took the metro to Civic Center/ Grand Park. From the train station, it is about a 10 mins walk. I arrived around 09:10 am and theres already a line forming to go through the security at the entrance. It took me about 15 mins for the security. After the security, I followed the sign to the elevator and went straight up to the 8th floor (listed on my appointment notice). I followed the sign to the assigned room on the 8th floor. Theres a security guard at the counter collecting the interview appointment notice, and he asked me to wait in the waiting room. The waiting room is pretty big, it has about 50 seats and a kids area to the side with some toys. A TV with news, some pictures on the wall and some plants in the room. There were about 10 people in the waiting room when I arrived, most of them are on their phone (there were no signs about cellphone use). I waited for about an hour and a half. During this time more people showed up and other people's name were called either via a speaker in the waiting room, or an interviewer will come to the waiting room. Around 11:00 am, my name was called, so I went up the to counter and followed the interviewer to his office. Before sitting down, he asked me to swear to tell the truth..etc. then he asked for my green card, drivers license, and since I'm under the age of 26, he also asked for my selective service registration. (He scanned all of them) Then he said, "let's start with the test and get it over with." He had me read a sentence on a piece of paper, "Where is the White House?" then he passed me another piece of paper and asked me to write down "The White House is in Washington D.C. ". Civic Test: 1. What is an amendment? 2. Who vetos the bill? 3. What is the capital of your state (California)? 4. What is the supreme law of the land? 5. Who did the US fight in WWII? 6. Who do we show loyalty to when we say the pledge of allegiance? Then he said, "Triple-A, you passed, now we need to go over the information on the application." -- So we went through the address history (I lived in another state up until 09/2017), employment history, travel history, and contact information. I reminded him I plan on doing a name change (I filled out the name change section on my online application) since he didn't ask me about it. So we went over the name change part, and he printed out name change forms for me to verify the information and sign. Then we moved on to the yes/no questions about crime and drugs, etc. They were all pretty straightforward. At the end, he print out my N-652 (Interview Result) along with some oath ceremony information, and a booklet about US history and constitution, and told me its all done and wait for the oath ceremony notice in the mail, it should come within the next 60 days. - The whole interview process took about 50 mins. I walked out the federal building around 12:00. I hope this post helps you with the preparation process, and let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
  19. I was scheduled for an Oath ceremony at the Irving, TX center ( Judicial ceremony due to a name change). I came in early and successfully completed the check in and the rest of the paperwork and was seated for the Judge to arrive. Just before the ceremony started, an officer called my name and walked me out of the courtroom in front of some 300 people and told me that there has been some issues with my name change request and they will need to reschedule the ceremony for some other time. He declined to offer any additional insights on the next steps. It was such a humiliating experience that was carried out in a disrespectful fashion. Wondering if anyone else knew of or had experienced a similar situation during their citizenship journey. If yes, what would be the next steps, how long does it take to reschedule esp, this appears to be a mistake from the local service center.
  20. Hi, Apologies if this has been asked before but I can't find and answer. So according to the UK passport agency when married and name changed I have to obviously get a new passport but that may cancel any existing visas. how does everything link up? If I cant update my passport til AOS granted then no flying internally either? Do I just update my passport details on my AOS application or do I try to get my new passport expedited before filing for AOS and if I have to get a new passport how does that affect any exisiting right to be in the US once married but AOS not filed yet? just a little confused with everything I've been reading at the mo.
  21. My fiancee and I will be getting married in California, and she'd like to change both her first (she's choosing an English name) and last name (taking my last name). Additionally, she'd like to apply for an EAD while applying for AOS, and apply for a Driver's License as soon as possible, which requires EAD approval from what I've read. It appears that a California Marriage License only allows for middle/last name changes, and a first name change will require a separate name change petition when all is said and done (?). So I was hoping to confirm the following steps that need to be taken. Note: She already has a SSN from when she was a student. Are the following steps correct? Is there a quicker or more optimal way to go about these steps? 1) Get married and she takes my last name. Marriage license shows her original first name + my last name. 2) File for AOS + EAD using her first name + my last name. 3) Go to Social Security Office and show marriage license as proof to have her last name updated. 4) As an aside, assuming her Social Security information is updated to have my last name, can I now add her as an authorized user using her SSN, first name + my last name, her passport for government issued ID, and marriage certificate as proof of her name change? 5) Receive EAD 6) Pass drivers exams and apply for Driver's License using her first name + my last name, showing EAD, passport, and marriage license as identification 7) Receive green card And now, to change her first name: 1) Apply for name change petition 2) Once approved, contact Social Security Office and change name again 3) Follow the steps here to get an updated Driver's License 4) Update banks, credit cards, etc. with new name 5) Finally finished? Also, at this point is it going to be difficult for her to travel as her passport will have a different First and Last names? (her old first name will be her new middle name, FWIW). Any feedback would be appreciated, this is all a little confusing.
  22. Hello! I apologise if this has been answered a million times before but I am not great at this and can't work out how to search for it... I started my ROC in April 2017 and filed with a waiver as my ex and I were divorced at the end of 2016 and are no longer on speaking terms. I have since then changed my name legally and I would rather not have my married name on my CG (if I am approved of course). I have heard that having a GC reissued costs a lot of money and I don't want a constant reminder of my not-so-great marriage every time I look at it. I have tried so many times to get an infopass appointment, even trying at midnight as it worked for me once before but I just can't seem to get an appointment. I am CSC so I have probably another 5 months of waiting until I hear anything but I'd love to get it out of the way if possible. If you have advice or if you can point me towards a thread that can advise, I will be so grateful. Thanks so much in advance!!
  23. Hi, My spouse and I got married last week. We wanted to start a new lineage with a completely different last name. That was not possible here in California so I took his last name and kept mine as my middle name. My question is, when can we change both our last names? Will it interfere with my adjustment of status (I am filing in late February)? Will it confuse immigration if I file with my current married name and while the package is processed, I go ahead and start the court process to change our names. Thanks.
  24. Hi everyone, I am currently living in Washington, D.C. and am looking for help with how I can get my name and gender changed on my Vietnamese passport. Will I have to go back to Vietnam to get this done or would it be possible for me to do this through the consulate here? I do have a copy of my original birth certificate with me. I could not find information on what forms will be required or if I will need a letter from a doctor/lawyer for this process. Any information you can provide will be extremely helpful! Thanks.
  25. Hello everyone, I reside in Canada and I have a valid B1 (tourist) visa, and it is valid until 2025. I am not yet a Canadian citizen, so I required a visa to go through/to the US. The valid B1 visa is stamped in my OLD passport. As I have changed names to my married name, I got a new passport showing my married name. I have to fly through the States to visit my home country in December, and I realize this might pose a problem. I have researched online, and information on different embassy/consulates say more or less different things. Some official FAQs say bringing the old passport with the B1 stamp, my new passport and my name change document should be enough (which is what I am hoping to do). The US Embassy in Vancouver's website (I reside in Vancouver) says the following: If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or a court ordered name change, you will need to obtain a new passport. Once you have a new passport, the Department of State recommends that you apply for a new U.S. visa to make it easier for you to travel to and from the United States. From this wording, I gather that, while they RECOMMEND I get a new visa, it is not REQUIRED, meaning I could use my old passport, new passport and name change document (even though they would clearly prefer I had a new visa). I would not mind getting a new one, had I not already applied for my Canadian citizenship, meaning that by June next year (at the latest) I will probably be visa exempt to enter the US anyway. I would prefer to avoid spending $160 US, plus taking time off to go do an interview (required for people from my Country), not to mention the annoying bureaucracy etc. Also, in almost 7 years residing in Canada, I have literally only entered the States in transit to another place- I don't really visit south of the border, I won't have any other entries into the US before June 2019 (when I expect to get my Canadian passport) I have tried emailing the Embassy directly, but they replied with a link to their FAQ (which I had already read, quoted above). I would appreciate any thoughts/insights/similar experiences anyone might have. Thank you in advance :)
  • Create New...