Spheres

Meeting Filipina - Need Help!

110 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new here but have been reading the topics today.  Can someone give me good advice on some questions I have?  Sorry in advance for the long post.

First, some background.... I met this wonderful Filipina lady online (via dating site, don't judge me) - and we hit it off pretty quickly.  This was back in September -- so I started making plans with her to go there, and visit.  I'm young looking (for my age), but we have 18 year age difference between us -- and well, i do NOT look 18 years younger than my age.  She has a professional stable job, and we video quite often as well as text every day throughout the day.  I have done brief video with her family, and have chatted her sister as well.  Her sister even offered to purchase a gift and give it to her since I'm not there to do it.

Second, she has never specifically asked for money - but she does complain about her budget sometimes and says it stresses her out.  I'll admit I have sent her some money as gifts for Christmas, Valentine's Day, and her Birthday.  So question #1 -- is she scamming me?  Is it common for Filipina to complain about their budget issues?  I asked her what she would have done had I not come along, and she said she'd just eat less or borrow from someone -- is she just guilting me?  So I do send money, but I limit it only as gifts for special occasions -- was this stupid of me?

Third, she is SO beautiful, but claims she only had ONE sexual partner.  I'm just a normal looking fellow, and by her age I had at least 1/2 a dozen girlfriends most of whom I had sex with.  I find it very hard to believe she only had one sexual partner -- but maybe it's true?  Is it common for Filipina to not have many sexual partners?  Or is it common for them to lie and say they only had few?

I know you might think if I have suspicions then I must not have genuine feelings for her.  But that isn't true -- I just have read a LOT online about romance scams, so it's fueling my paranoia.  I make a decent amount of money, but I'm far from rich, so I don't want to just send be throwing away money if this is some common scam I'm not aware of.  But I also care about her and don't want her to be suffering while I am able to save so much each month, it seems unfair.

So assuming this isn't a scam (am I being naive?), I am going there soon and we have talked about getting engaged if we indeed hit it off.  As I'm not getting any younger, I'd love to expedite the process if at all possible.  Is there any specific paperwork I should take with me (or that we should review/sign together) to move the process along faster?  I talked to Rapid Visa (are they any good?) and they said there's nothing to do until I meet her.  But then I talked to others and they said there's a host of paperwork we can sign/exchange or something -- and so I don't know what is correct.  I don't want this to drag out for a long time... any advice??

Edited by Spheres

Don't make any plans until after you meet and I'd say at least a few times.  I met my Filipina wife first online and then one day in Cebu.  On another trip I spent a few days with her in Hong Kong, another trip to Cebu and then a month before we married.   

We have a 26 year age gap.  

If you use rapidvisa or an attorney you are giving them all the information to create the forms for you.  Both can make mistakes that cost you more money and time. It is a pretty simple process if you can following the instructions.

K1 is faster but has significant disadvantages. @missileman has a good comparison.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

I feel like the fact that you're not even sure if it's a scam or not means that you're not really ready to jump into the whole marriage thing, especially considering that if it does turn out to be a scam, you'll be financially responsible for this person for the next 10 years, even if she leaves you after she gets her visa. Not saying it's a scam, but this seems to be moving super fast.

7 minutes ago, Spheres said:

Hello, I'm new here but have been reading the topics today.  Can someone give me good advice on some questions I have?  Sorry in advance for the long post.

First, some background.... I met this wonderful Filipina lady online (via dating site, don't judge me) - and we hit it off pretty quickly.  This was back in September -- so I started making plans with her to go there, and visit.  I'm young looking (for my age), but we have 18 year age difference between us -- and well, i do NOT look 18 years younger than my age.  She has a professional stable job, and we video quite often as well as text every day throughout the day.  I have done brief video with her family, and have chatted her sister as well.  Her sister even offered to purchase a gift and give it to her since I'm not there to do it.

Second, she has never specifically asked for money - but she does complain about her budget sometimes and says it stresses her out.  I'll admit I have sent her some money as gifts for Christmas, Valentine's Day, and her Birthday.  So question #1 -- is she scamming me?  Is it common for Filipina to complain about their budget issues?  I asked her what she would have done had I not come along, and she said she'd just eat less or borrow from someone -- is she just guilting me?  So I do send money, but I limit it only as gifts for special occasions -- was this stupid of me?

Third, she is SO beautiful, but claims she only had ONE sexual partner.  I'm just a normal looking fellow, and by her age I had at least 1/2 a dozen girlfriends most of whom I had sex with.  I find it very hard to believe she only had one sexual partner -- but maybe it's true?  Is it common for Filipina to not have many sexual partners?  Or is it common for them to lie and say they only had few?

I know you might think if I have suspicions then I must not have genuine feelings for her.  But that isn't true -- I just have read a LOT online about romance scams, so it's fueling my paranoia.  I make a decent amount of money, but I'm far from rich, so I don't want to just send be throwing away money if this is some common scam I'm not aware of.  But I also care about her and don't want her to be suffering while I am able to save so much each month, it seems unfair.

So assuming this isn't a scam (am I being naive?), I am going there soon and we have talked about getting engaged if we indeed hit it off.  As I'm not getting any younger, I'd love to expedite the process if at all possible.  Is there any specific paperwork I should take with me (or that we should review/sign together) to move the process along faster?  I talked to Rapid Visa (are they any good?) and they said there's nothing to do until I meet her.  But then I talked to others and they said there's a host of paperwork we can sign/exchange or something -- and so I don't know what is correct.  I don't want this to drag out for a long time... any advice??

There is no way to expedite.  The process will not be fast.  Or cheap.

There is no way around the required meeting- but wouldn’t you want to meet and spend time together anyway?  You don’t specify your age, but I am sure you are old enough to comprehend what a huge step it is.  It is even more complex when it involves US immigration.

Young Filipinas often seek older American men as a way to get to the US- which isn’t to say that their relationships are not valid or exclusively green card-based.

RapidVisa does a lot of Philippines-based petitions, but since VisaJourney is a DIY site, most here have not used them.  We often hear more about RV’s failures than successes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US   
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US 

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I’m not saying it’s a scam, and I’m not saying it’s common practice, but I do know a lot of Aussie men fall into very similar situations 🙈

My advise:

1. Don’t feel guilty if she’s complaining about money, at this point she is still responsible for feeing herself

2. Don’t send money, credit cards, prepaid cards etc and remember $100 usd is a lot of money there.. if she can get just a couple of guys a month to do this, she’s living very well.

3. Go travel, meet her, at least a couple of times before you even consider advancing the relationship to possible k1, get to know her

4. Use protection, I’ve had mates that get home and a week or two later she’s pregnant 🤰 only a few months later isn’t (funny that when some of the guys have had the snip) 🤷‍♀️

in ref to prior partners, well, I genrally work on the rule of three multiplier lol just saying, is anyone actually honest about this?  I say I’ve had 3 at the age of 46... but that’s only the 3 that I care to remember or admit to.. there are others that I’ve very proudly forgotten about or would deny till the cows come home

not all Filipino do this, but it’s a very common thing here in Aus

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Ok thanks so much for for reading and responses -- I don't like to hear a lot of the advice so far, but maybe I need to.  So basically it sounds like I have been pretty dumb.  Just to explain further, I feel like if I were dating here in the USA, I'd have to spend considerable money on dining out and gifts as well.  So I wouldn't want to send this Filipina nothing if we are considered dating -- what kind of boyfriend would that be?

And I didn't feel that meeting over 6 months after initial contact was taking it too fast though?  Or do you mean the thought of proposing when I first meet her?    I also forgot to mention she is in Cebu.  I'm not sure if that matters or not (i.e. isn't nearby Angeles City known for scammers??)

And it isn't that I believe she's a scammer, I hope she isn't but I've been reading so many stories -- and I just am not certain if I'm being blinded by my feelings. 

Thanks for advice on Rapid Visa -- I will try to do it myself then if we get engaged.  What do I need to bring with me and hand to her (or have her sign) in order to expedite things once I'm back State-side?

7 minutes ago, Spheres said:

Just to explain further, I feel like if I were dating here in the USA, I'd have to spend considerable money on dining out and gifts as well.  So I wouldn't want to send this Filipina nothing if we are considered dating -- what kind of boyfriend would that be?

Not dumb..

and your forgetting she has a responsibility to herself, so you have no obligation to support her at this stage and not all women need wining and dining to make them happy.. 

A true boyfriend would save his money for a flight over there to meet her, after all time together is the best time.. it will also give you the best possible perspective of the relationship before considering marriage.

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I always think it is a good idea to think what you would say if a friend of yours came up with this situation and asked for your advise.

At least meet before you consider where this is going, she could be a bloke.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Spheres said:

Ok thanks so much for for reading and responses -- I don't like to hear a lot of the advice so far, but maybe I need to.  So basically it sounds like I have been pretty dumb.  Just to explain further, I feel like if I were dating here in the USA, I'd have to spend considerable money on dining out and gifts as well.  So I wouldn't want to send this Filipina nothing if we are considered dating -- what kind of boyfriend would that be?

And I didn't feel that meeting over 6 months after initial contact was taking it too fast though?  Or do you mean the thought of proposing when I first meet her?    I also forgot to mention she is in Cebu.  I'm not sure if that matters or not (i.e. isn't nearby Angeles City known for scammers??)

And it isn't that I believe she's a scammer, I hope she isn't but I've been reading so many stories -- and I just am not certain if I'm being blinded by my feelings. 

Thanks for advice on Rapid Visa -- I will try to do it myself then if we get engaged.  What do I need to bring with me and hand to her (or have her sign) in order to expedite things once I'm back State-side?

Again, there is no expedite.

I recommend you look at the petition (I-129f) with its optional instructions/checklist on the USCIS.gov site.  

The only thing she needs to sign for the petition is a letter of intent to marry you.  You should save boarding passes and make sure you get a passport stamp as evidence of the required meeting.

I strongly recommend you do as much reading and research as possible about the process before proceeding.  You need to understand the financial obligations when bringing over an immigrant, and the general process to get from filed petition to green card.

Edited to add:  if either of you have been married previously, you will need certified copies of final divorce decrees  for the petition also.

Edited by Jorgedig

Thanks again, all!

6 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

A true boyfriend would save his money for a flight over there to meet her, after all time together is the best time.. it will also give you the best possible perspective of the relationship before considering marriage.

Yes, I have already purchased the tickets to see her so there's no need to save money for that, but I see what you are saying.  I'll try to be more judicious in that manner, thanks.

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I always think it is a good idea to think what you would say if a friend of yours came up with this situation and asked for your advise.

At least meet before you consider where this is going, she could be a bloke.

I like your first piece of advice there -- I'll consider that.  By 'bloke' do you mean a guy?  We have done lots of "things" on camera... I don't think it's possible unless she's post-op?

4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Again, there is no expedite.

I recommend you look at the petition (I-129f) with its optional instructions/checklist on the USCIS.gov site.  

The only thing she needs to sign for the petition is a letter of intent to marry you.  You should save boarding passes and make sure you get a passport stamp as evidence of the required reading.

I strongly recommend you do as much reading and research as possible about the process before proceeding.  You need to understand the financial obligations when bringing over an immigrant, and the general process to get from filed petition to green card.

Ok thanks, the "letter of intent" I heard elsewhere too so I'll have her sign that when I'm there.  I make decent earnings so I don't think the finances should be an issue but I will definitely look into it more.  Are there things you know of that I'm not already considering -- besides normal household expenses?

1 minute ago, Spheres said:

Thanks again, all!

Yes, I have already purchased the tickets to see her so there's no need to save money for that, but I see what you are saying.  I'll try to be more judicious in that manner, thanks.

I like your first piece of advice there -- I'll consider that.  By 'bloke' do you mean a guy?  We have done lots of "things" on camera... I don't think it's possible unless she's post-op?

Ok thanks, the "letter of intent" I heard elsewhere too so I'll have her sign that when I'm there.  I make decent earnings so I don't think the finances should be an issue but I will definitely look into it more.  Are there things you know of that I'm not already considering -- besides normal household expenses?

Not sure what you mean about “normal household expenses.”

She won’t be able to work or leave the US for 5-7 months at least.

You should research “public charge,” as you will be on the hook for her financially until certain criteria are met (even if you divorce.)

18 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Not sure what you mean about “normal household expenses.”

She won’t be able to work or leave the US for 5-7 months at least.

You should research “public charge,” as you will be on the hook for her financially until certain criteria are met (even if you divorce.)

I meant like I have my own house and pay the mortgage and utilities already for it, so that wouldn't be a burden.  I'd buy her food and clothes of course.  And other usual household item needs.  She'd also be carried under my health insurances, which would just require extra deductions from the paycheck.  

I tried to search on public charge, but couldn't find the criteria you're referencing -- can you elaborate on that? 

1 minute ago, Spheres said:

I meant like I have my own house and pay the mortgage and utilities already for it, so that wouldn't be a burden.  I'd buy her food and clothes of course.  And other usual household item needs.  She'd also be carried under my health insurances, which would just require extra deductions from the paycheck.  

US immigration doesn't care about any of that type of minutiae, although it would be in your favor if she could be added to your health insurance.  

There are income parameters used to be able to sponsor an immigrant, and also to sponsor an immigrant's adjustment of status (green card).  See form I-864.  The criteria are becoming tougher as of 2/24/2020.

I'm surprised you're not finding anything about the public charge, as it is currently a hot topic, with threads all over VJ as well as the internet in general.

In a nutshell, when you sign that affidavit of support (I-864), you are making a contract with the US government to repay any public benefits she uses up until she has 40 quarters of work or becomes a USC.  This is in place as long as she remains in the US, even if you divorce.

33 minutes ago, Spheres said:

Thanks again, all!

I like your first piece of advice there -- I'll consider that.  By 'bloke' do you mean a guy?  We have done lots of "things" on camera... I don't think it's possible unless she's post-op??

Even without the graphic detail. This comment to suggest your not her first online or second BF! 

There are still till a lot of things many married couples don’t do on line. 

AOS Journey

• NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.