Yugo1996

K-1 / K-2 Complicated process

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1 seems an odd choice, well it is an odd choice most of the time but even more so in this case and not petitioning for your child even more so.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

K1 seems an odd choice, well it is an odd choice most of the time but even more so in this case and not petitioning for your child even more so.

Oh it definitely is now, we were under the impression that the K-1 and K-2 would work in our case as it was the quickest to reunite our family. Funniest thing about all of this is, multiple immigration attorneys suggested we do the K-1 over the spouse visa.
Since he is technically petitioned under the K-1 but not eligible. 

4 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

I hate seeing cases like this. You situation isn't easy but the attorney should have immediately seen the issues. 

Only two real options.   File the I-130 for your son and try to expedite it (doesn't really meet urgency but free to ask)  or get married and file I-130s for the both.  

Seems like what will happen. I will see what options the Embassy offers, our best bet is going to probably be to hold of the interview and try to expedite the I-130 for our son and hope they approve.  

What's even more ironic is that we went to multiple attorneys and they all said that he would be eligible since he's technically not a U.S. Citizen and that since my Fiancee is his biological mother and it wouldn't matter that we had a child out of wedlock since he was technically under the requirements. Which obviously wasn't the case. Regret not going to DC and expanding my horizons for attorneys.

Either way thank you all for helping me. Helped put things into perspective much better and help me plan out for other situations.

I hope this helps anyone else with this awkwardly weird situation. 

40 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

I hate seeing cases like this. You situation isn't easy but the attorney should have immediately seen the issues. 

Yep, I'm not a lawyer, I'm just a DIY immigrant and I immediately saw the issue with the K2. Immigration lawyers seem to be the most useless ones. 

OP, fire your lawyer and either just use visa journey or hire a competent one. 

Edited by Orangesapples

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

I saw this post and just came up here to say sorry for what you are going through. I have no respond because there is really no right now no wrong answer. You and your fiance will have to decide whats best for your family. That immigration lawyer however, should be FIRED and exposed. I despise stupidity could have saved you a lot of hurt if they had told you. Good Luck!!

(L) (L) (F) (F) Some peoples journey to love is harder than others, but when they reach their destination its definitely, definitely worth preserving. (F) (F) (L) (L)

event.png

blk-event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Leave the kid behind, Find a good care for him. File l-130 for him ASAP. Immigration is never certain and definitely time consuming do not miss opportunities by starting over again... Alway take the next best option available. 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

I'd be inclined to withdraw the K1 and file the I-130s.   I just don't see anyway this moving fast and sucking any less.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

File I-130 for son. Get married and file I-130 for spouse. Surprised you even considered fiancée visa in this situation. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

7 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

The primary caregiver being separated from the child for a year sounds like a terrible idea. 

* is a terrible idea

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

13 hours ago, zochu said:

* is a terrible idea

Agreed! a baby shouldn't ever be separated from their mom 😪

On 1/23/2020 at 1:12 PM, Yugo1996 said:

First sorry if I miss post or make a mistake ahead of time. I believe I posted here before, unsure if it was this account. All I know is, that it was an amazing help and reassurance from others. For that I thank all of you who helped me before and for everyone taking their time out of their day to read this and hopefully input any helpful advice. 

Some information about me. I got my citizenship through my parents through naturalization when I was a child. When I was 14/15 Years of age, we moved back to my country and I finished my High school degree in my home country and then I continued studying there for University. Which I met my fiancee in high school and we got engaged my 2nd year of Uni, and started living together and had a child out of wedlock. Now, I tried to apply for Counselor Birth of Abroad when he was a 1 year old but I was not eligible because I did not reach the Criteria, in which it required I lived 5 years in the U.S. but out of those 5 years, 2 at least have to be over the age of 14. Which I do not, I have been living in the U.S. for over 14 years until I moved and I have visited off and on again, but I moved back recently about a year ago to establish domicile in the U.S. and to get consisted/permanent Job in the U.S. to support them. Once I got a job I applied for the K-1 Visa, hired a local immigration attorney to help with the paperwork as I know a slight mistake can prolong the process even longer. We filed for the I-129 etc to USCIS and everything went smoothly, we paid for everything on time, and they did their medical exam and we set an appointment for their interview when she gets a call from the Embassy today 3 days prior to her interview, saying since my son is biologically mine, he is not eligible for the K-1/I-129/K-2 and cannot obtain a Visa and they gave us 2 options. One for her to leave our child and go to the U.S. or to basically just withdraw from the process and reapply again and apply first for the I-130 for my son.

I have no idea what to do, and at this point I'm just overwhelmed. I provided all the evidence I had and did as much research as possible to hopefully win over the agent/embassy into allowing my son to be allowed a K-2 Visa to go with my fiancee/ his biological mother to the U.S. together as he is only 4 years old. Since this is a difficult case I was hoping that it would workout in our favor, they said they would contact me tomorrow for further information and to thoroughly evaluate all the information I gave them.

Thank you again. 

I am so sorry to hear about your situation it sounds so hard. There is so much at stake here that I would definitely seek out an immigration attorney so you can get your family together ASAP. 

Also...Regards from another fellow Bosnia & Herzegovina filer :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.