David and Anna

Questions about AOS (& Adv Parole & EAD)

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

1) How long does AOS take? (even a range?  I can't seem to find data like I can for the I-129F processing times...)

2) Also, am I reading the data correct regarding Advance Parole (I-131) and EAD (I-765) that it is currently taking over 4 months on average to get those approved?

3) So my question is to then confirm that the beneficiary cannot work or travel back to her home for 4 months after we file AOS and those forms (on average of course)?

[That is awful if true...they want our fiance's here in the USA but sitting on the couch rather than working here or at their country or at least seeing their family?  So weird...]

Edited by David and Anna

Timeline

follow-up.  I found the data on here for AOS processing times.  My follow-up question then is:

Are those times for I-129F process holders with a K-1 to AOS only?  Or for all types of AOS filings? (there are myriad other immigration states that also request AOS, most of which are not as simple/documented as K-1 visa holders I imagine, are the stats for "all types of AOS requests" or solely K-1 to AOS...)

Edited by David and Anna

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

1) How long does AOS take? (even a range?  I can't seem to find data like I can for the I-129F processing times...)

Depends on the local office, but in general, anywhere from 6-14 months.

2) Also, am I reading the data correct regarding Advance Parole (I-131) and EAD (I-765) that it is currently taking over 4 months on average to get those approved?

I have been hearing 5-7 months lately.  In fact there are several stories of folks getting their GCs prior to the EAD/AP.

3) So my question is to then confirm that the beneficiary cannot work or travel back to her home for 4 months after we file AOS and those forms (on average of course)?

[That is awful if true...they want our fiance's here in the USA but sitting on the couch rather than working here or at their country or at least seeing their family?  So weird...]

You are correct, this is one major drawback of the K1 or doing AOS from inside the US.  If immediate international travel and work is a big deal, a spousal visa may be a much better option.

10 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

follow-up.  I found the data on here for AOS processing times.  My follow-up question then is:

Are those times for I-129F process holders with a K-1 to AOS only?  Or for all types of AOS filings? (there are myriad other immigration states that also request AOS, most of which are not as simple/documented as K-1 visa holders I imagine, are the stats for "all types of AOS requests" or solely K-1 to AOS...)

To my knowledge, this is all AOSs, not just K1s.  You can look at the USCIS processing times for your local office here.

Good Luck!

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

53 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

You’re date’s are very generous with its estimate of 4 months... likely more like 6-9

yes, it’s the truth.. and one of the joys of k1.. get there fast, but then you get held up like the rest of us, and generally have financial problems because of it. hence why people choose CR1 stay home, work, save and land in the USA ready to start a life with loved ones rather than sit on couch for six months.. overall, k1 takes just as long as CR1 if not longer and is more expensive.. the only benifit from it is you get to land in country a little sooner than us. 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline

Thanks for the replies.  Wow, I didn't realize she would be locked here and sitting on her butt for so many months...we may have a rethink on this.  Its as if this process doesn't have a goal of helping the USA economy (or anything or anyone) it seems.  Not feeling terribly proud of my government at the moment.  I'm going to start looking into plan b...(wrongly I thought the EAD and AP were quick processes given the way they were described before I found the actual data and got your input here. We didn't mind that the AOS could take awhile provided she could work and go home to visit family...).  This option just flat out doesn't work for folks with a job or that need or want a job.  So stupid.  Its like its designed for mail order brides and arranged marriages.  Not for productive, working folks that met someone overseas.  We gotta rethink this.  (sorry for the venting...I doubt I'm the first to do so on this topic!)

Edited by David and Anna

Timeline
7 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

It never was a goal of helping the economy.  Sorry immigration rules don't make you proud of our government.  Immigration policies here are much better than most countries.  Have you researched what is required to immigrate to her country?   

well, actually a lot of immigration rules are designed to help the economy (both now and historically).  Not hard to find examples...

Her country is surprisingly easier than this (except for the language barrier) as I understand it (after a fair bit of research).  MOST other countries I've looked into have a concept of a "resident card" that is time limited and far easier to get than a green card (no, not like our 2-year limit for new marriages).  That is what most immigrating spouses get when going to those countries...and thus its not near the work that a GC is.

Look, I love my country (and have lived in several others so I have a fair basis of comparison), but that doesn't mean I can't criticize it when warranted.  And it also doesn't mean that it merely be better than other countries to be loved.  But this thread shouldn't be about that.  I'll attempt to refrain from  pointing out any obvious issues with our immigration system.

EDIT:  but the whole point of the existence of the AP and EAD is to allow for travel and work while waiting for the GC.  If there is a long time to AP/EAD - up to near the GC anyways in some cases we are told - then obviously the system isn't working as designed or even to any benefit.

Edited by David and Anna

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

well, actually a lot of immigration rules are designed to help the economy (both now and historically).  Not hard to find examples...

Her country is surprisingly easier than this (except for the language barrier) as I understand it (after a fair bit of research).  MOST other countries I've looked into have a concept of a "resident card" that is time limited and far easier to get than a green card (no, not like our 2-year limit for new marriages).  That is what most immigrating spouses get when going to those countries...and thus its not near the work that a GC is.

Look, I love my country (and have lived in several others so I have a fair basis of comparison), but that doesn't mean I can't criticize it when warranted.  And it also doesn't mean that it merely be better than other countries to be loved.  But this thread shouldn't be about that.  I'll attempt to refrain from  pointing out any obvious issues with our immigration system.

EDIT:  but the whole point of the existence of the AP and EAD is to allow for travel and work while waiting for the GC.  If there is a long time to AP/EAD - up to near the GC anyways in some cases we are told - then obviously the system isn't working as designed or even to any benefit.

The K-1 is not the best option for many people.  Most people that went the K-1 route eventually wished they went the spousal visa route.  Have spent lots of time in Poland and like it very much.  I never had any real problems with language there as many of them speak some English.  Probably spousal visa is a better option for you.     

Timeline
5 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

The K-1 is not the best option for many people.  Most people that went the K-1 route eventually wished they went the spousal visa route.  Have spent lots of time in Poland and like it very much.  I never had any real problems with language there as many of them speak some English.  Probably spousal visa is a better option for you.     

Thanks again for the replies.  The main reason I chose the 129F over the 130 was because it limited our time apart (I can only be in the schengen for 90 days in a 180 period to see her in Poland) and thus went that way.  The mistake I made was thinking that the EAD and AP were quick gets after she arrived into the USA (I got that from reading some specific things on USA immigration websites).  Sadly, I was wrong on that!

We also have a slight preference for getting married in the USA.

I am going to talk to her tonight when she gets home from work and see if she still thinks the I-129F is the way to go now that she knows that she might be locked in the USA for 6 months and not able to work.  She is used to working of course and she travels internationally (usually to see me in the USA and then back to see her parents in Poland) pretty much every month. So that 6 months will be an adjustment/sacrifice for her.  We shall see what she says...

In the meantime, I found the DCF option and am going to look into that in London (where we are now) or Poland (where we will be starting in May).  Not sure we qualify or even that the USCIS offices will be around in those places...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, David and Anna said:

Thanks for the replies.  Wow, I didn't realize she would be locked here and sitting on her butt for so many months...we may have a rethink on this.  Its as if this process doesn't have a goal of helping the USA economy (or anything or anyone) it seems.  Not feeling terribly proud of my government at the moment.  I'm going to start looking into plan b...(wrongly I thought the EAD and AP were quick processes given the way they were described before I found the actual data and got your input here. We didn't mind that the AOS could take awhile provided she could work and go home to visit family...).  This option just flat out doesn't work for folks with a job or that need or want a job.  So stupid.  Its like its designed for mail order brides and arranged marriages.  Not for productive, working folks that met someone overseas.  We gotta rethink this.  (sorry for the venting...I doubt I'm the first to do so on this topic!)

In case you are interested, this is my simple comparison:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.  

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US 

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

In case you are interested, this is my simple comparison:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.  

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US    
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US 

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

That's a great summary, it should be THE sticky on the front of the entire VJ website... 

Key question:  how much is "slightly slower arrival in the US"?  (I know its unknowable precisely, but range these days?)

Second question:  So, I'm a dummy and our I-129F is in DHL's hands and arriving in texas today...is it even possible to cancel that and submit CR-1 later?  Any idea how to do that?

(I'm also going to look into the DCF concept, that *might* work for us - but I doubt we will qualify, or at least may not do so before they eliminate the office for that in London)

Thanks!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks again for the replies.  The main reason I chose the 129F over the 130 was because it limited our time apart (I can only be in the schengen for 90 days in a 180 period to see her in Poland) and thus went that way.  The mistake I made was thinking that the EAD and AP were quick gets after she arrived into the USA (I got that from reading some specific things on USA immigration websites).  Sadly, I was wrong on that!

We also have a slight preference for getting married in the USA.

I am going to talk to her tonight when she gets home from work and see if she still thinks the I-129F is the way to go now that she knows that she might be locked in the USA for 6 months and not able to work.  She is used to working of course and she travels internationally (usually to see me in the USA and then back to see her parents in Poland) pretty much every month. So that 6 months will be an adjustment/sacrifice for her.  We shall see what she says...

In the meantime, I found the DCF option and am going to look into that in London (where we are now) or Poland (where we will be starting in May).  Not sure we qualify or even that the USCIS offices will be around in those places...

Poland does not have petiioner residency based DCF,  also, London is slated to close in the near term future 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  As reported by other VJ members the total processing time is as follows:

Average time from filing to interview for a K-1= 218 days

Average time from filing to interview for a CR-1= 496 days

https://www.visajourney.com/times/

2.  You can follow this procedure:

A.  Send a letter to USCIS to withdraw the I-129f

B.  Marry

C.  Start the CR-1 process.  Below is the guide for Cr-1.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Thank you again ^^

Yikes, ~500 days, or 16 months...too long! I guess that's why we went with K-1...

I'll post here after I speak to her tonight about the ~6 month "forced vacation" in the USA she must endure :-)

If she is okay with that, we will stay on the K-1 path...

If not, we will try to blitz the London NCF option (unlikely, but I'll try).  Otherwise plan B or C...we just want to be together someplace.  The USA is choice one, but we don't want to have to be apart and otherwise suffer just to get there...there are lots of nice places to live and we have tried a few, may have a total rethink given the bureaucratic nonsense/delays we are facing with the USA process. (don't even get me started on how duplication the 129 and 134 and 485 forms are...the same info entered multiple times...if my businesses had broken processes like that, I wouldn't be retired now!)

Edited by David and Anna

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
46 minutes ago, David and Anna said:

Thank you again ^^

Yikes, ~500 days, or 16 months...too long! I guess that's why we went with K-1...

I'll post here after I speak to her tonight about the ~6 month "forced vacation" in the USA she must endure :-)

If she is okay with that, we will stay on the K-1 path...

If not, we will try to blitz the London NCF option (unlikely, but I'll try).  Otherwise plan B or C...we just want to be together someplace.  The USA is choice one, but we don't want to have to be apart and otherwise suffer just to get there...there are lots of nice places to live and we have tried a few, may have a total rethink given the bureaucratic nonsense/delays we are facing with the USA process. (don't even get me started on how duplication the 129 and 134 and 485 forms are...the same info entered multiple times...if my businesses had broken processes like that, I wouldn't be retired now!)

No one wants to be apart, but that is a burden many of us taking this route must face.  All countries have some form of bureaucratic hurdles necessary for immigrants, some easier, some not so easy.  The US for family based visas is fairly middle of the road.  One thing the US does have which most countries do not is in fact the fiancé visa.  My understanding is that to get a residency in most other countries it has to be spouse or employment based.  Regardless, these are the rules and they have been that way for quite some time (i.e. not related to WH occupant).  I do happen to agree with you that less government is better, but until Congress actually decides to do something, it is what it is.

Good Luck!

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.