MarryForLove

Marriage in order to date?!

16 posts in this topic

Question: I met an Indian man online 7 months ago, when I was planning a tourism trip to India. We found we had a lot in common and decided to meet during my trip. We did that, and hit it off, spending the entire time together. Since my return to the U.S. we have chatted or talked every day, have developed feelings for each other, and are interested in pursuing the idea of being together long-term. We would like to take the next step in our relationship, which is to spend more time together dating in person and getting to know each other. And we both feel it is really important for him to come to the U.S. to see what life is like here and also to see where I live, etc. so we can decide where we might want to be together – there or here, and if at all. This is a quite normal and logical step in any relationship – to continue to date and get to know each other. But I’m finding that it seems impossible for him to just come and spend some time with me, due to the visa options and restrictions. From what I understand, he would almost assuredly be denied a tourism visa: he is 44 years old and single, lives in his parents’ home (cares for them), is self-employed as a tutor, has no children, etc. (I’m 51, single, male, self-employed). I don’t see how to convince the visa app people that we just want to spend more time together to determine if we want to be together long-term. The only other options I see are the Fiance or Spouse visas, both of which require us to MARRY just so we can DATE!!!! This seems absurd to me and flies in the face of the reasons for immigration laws in the first place. (Where is the Just Dating visa?!?!) They are essentially forcing people to get married. (Not everyone is interested in immigrating to the U.S.!  If we DO decide that we want to be together AND in the U.S., THEN we can follow that route.) We are mature adults and both open to the idea of marriage but don’t want to be forced into it prematurely just so we can spend time together in my home/country. I guess I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this catch 22 and what they might have done about it. Has anyone been able to get a tourism visa by being honest about this (or not), or had a tourism visa denial then applied for Fiance/Spouse? Is that OK? We’re open to any creative ideas or advice. If we have to marry, I'm not sure which is better, fiance or spouse visa (get married outside of U.S.)? But again, marriage for dating purposes makes no sense…. We'd prefer to marry for love. Thanks for any help!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

the purpose of a k1 is not to decide if you want to marry, but when you already KNOW you want to marry.

if he is unable to obtain a tourist visa, you visiting him there will be your only option for in person time together.

there isnt a 'dating' visa of any kind.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Yes it’s tough for those of us whose significant others come from places where it’s difficult to obtain a tourist visa. He has to be truthful in his application. You can make trips to India to see him and you guys can travel to other countries where it is easier for him to visit. Most of our (VJ people) relationship is spent getting to know one another through online or the phone- yeah it sucks but it is what it is. Never would I have thought I’d be engaged after meeting my (Now) husband on the third visit. 
There is no rush to marry/immigrate. Take as long as you need to get to know one another which will be visits to places other than the US. A k1 is for fiancés only- get engaged, file k1, immigrate, marry within 90 days and adjust status. A CR1 is for a spouse to immigrate.

prior to us initiating our k1 my husband was denied a tourist visa. That’s about all we needed to realize we want to be together forever and got engaged right then and there (more of a decision than an actual proposal lol) and filed for the k1 a few months later. During that time I made many more trips to see him and even my mom was able to fly out to meet him. I get what you mean about wanting him to see the US first before deciding to live here but again, unfortunately not everyone has that option. Free travel isn’t a right.

Also- are you aware same sex marriage isn’t allowed in India? So you would HAVE to get married in another country anyways.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

I know it sounds frustrating, but I’d suggest he first apply for a tourist visa, and see whether or not he gets it? You might be pleasantly surprised.

a question, if he lives at home because he cares for his parents, who will care for them while he is away/if he decides he does want to marry and move?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I realize my post was more venting than anything else, as the options are pretty clear, but your comments are helpful. To answer your questions, yes, same-sex marriage is not legal in India, but it is in the U.S., so we could marry either here (fiancé) or abroad (spouse). For the latter, South Africa is an option that seems doable (I do some work there). Regarding his parents, they are pretty self-sufficient and there are siblings and relatives who can take over if he leaves. I just thought that was a plus for the tourism visa – that he has a reason to return – to balance out the fact that he lives at home!

From what I’ve read and people on his side are telling him, if you’re single with no strong ties to your home country, you’re pretty much dead in the water for a tourist visa approval. At least for an Indian.  If he’s upfront about wanting to visit a guy he met online I think the confusion that would generate during a 2-minute visa interview would be enough for a denial. Then we’d have to start all over again. He’s frustrated because he knows what he wants and wants to get on with it; I am more cautious and marriage is a big deal to me. I’m not opposed to it but it carries much more weight on my side. I do care for him and feel that things could be good, but I’m more annoyed at having to rush marriage for him to be here. I really want him to be able to see this place and get a feel for it. I have a house and land in the country and we’ve talked about running an animal welfare or other business here. It all feels a bit mail-order bride-ish otherwise! 😊 Anyway, we are planning to see each other for the whole month of May – either in India, here if he could get a visa, or elsewhere abroad. That’s the soonest we can get together again due to work schedules, and is 4 months away.

Theoretical question: If we started the fiancé process now, and it takes several months to process, assuming he is approved and eventually comes to the U.S., we would have that processing time to continue to get to know and meet each other outside the U.S. (May), and would also have the 90-day period in the U.S. to get married. So at that point he can spend time at my place. If for some reason we decided not to get married at any point in there, then we could just cancel the K-1 and part ways, correct? I know this sounds a bit mechanical and I don’t want it to be that, but concretely this is possible, I think. The reasoning is that the tourist visa process would probably ultimately cost close to the same in time and money, whether he is approved or not. This is using the K-1 in a slightly unorthodox way, but dammit, I have to work with what options there are/aren’t. There is no deceit if the intention at application is marriage but it later changes.

Thanks again for your comments! Very much appreciated. Should I be posting this in a K-1 forum?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes it's too bad but there is no US visa for dating.  Long-distance relationships involving two countries can be tricky but many of us have done it.  I was in your same shoes two years ago, met a guy online, talked every day, and the relationship really blossomed after my first trip to Brazil to meet him.  He didn't even have a passport at that point, plus we knew it would be very difficult for him (young, single, male) to get a tourist visa to visit me in the US, so to continue our relationship, I traveled to see him in Brazil to spend time together many times before we decided we wanted to live together, and take the next step.  We also spent ten days in London and Paris together after he got a Brazilian passport.  In our case, we decided to get married in Brazil and file for a CR-1 visa.  That process took 11 months and now we're living together in California.  We decided on a CR-1 so that he could work and drive as soon as he arrived, to avoid the K-1 hellish period of 6+ months after arrival with nothing to do, not able to work, drive, or leave the country if there was a situation back home and he needed to go for an urgent visit.  My advice is to take your time, travel to see each other multiple times, he can try for a B visa, and see where the relationship goes based on these trips, and then make a decision about marriage or not.  Save all your boarding passes and passport stamps.  Take a few photos of the two of you together on these trips.  Then if you decide you want to live together in the US and marriage is what you both want, file for either a K-1 or get married somewhere and file for a CR-1.  Do lots more research on this site and check out the USCIS and NVC websites for official government policies and guides.  I recommend the CR-1 route.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

1 hour ago, MarryForLove said:

Theoretical question: If we started the fiancé process now, and it takes several months to process, assuming he is approved and eventually comes to the U.S., we would have that processing time to continue to get to know and meet each other outside the U.S. (May), and would also have the 90-day period in the U.S. to get married. So at that point he can spend time at my place. If for some reason we decided not to get married at any point in there, then we could just cancel the K-1 and part ways, correct? I know this sounds a bit mechanical and I don’t want it to be that, but concretely this is possible, I think. The reasoning is that the tourist visa process would probably ultimately cost close to the same in time and money, whether he is approved or not. This is using the K-1 in a slightly unorthodox way, but dammit, I have to work with what options there are/aren’t. There is no deceit if the intention at application is marriage but it later changes.

Are you asking if you could use the K1 as a temp visitor visa so you can get to know your SO better in the US? Because, if so, then it is highly not recommended. The K1 process is not like the tourist visa. It is a long complex process that requires background checks on both you and your partner as well as your relationship. Not to mention, that one of the main documents you will provide for the K1 is a written statement that you will marry within the 90 days. If you don't legitimately plan to do so, then you should not be doing the K1 at all. The K1 is for people who are ready to be married.

To give you an example, there was a case a few years ago where a women got notified that her K1 fiance was denied entry to the US. He had been given the K1 visa but was confused why he could not enter the US. After some investigation, it turns out that when her fiance was interview by the border agent at the port of entry, he was asked if he will be getting married to her, to which he replied, "I don't know. We will see." And just like that he was sent back on a flight to his country. The women posted on Visajourney how she was devastated to go through all of that work for the K1 and for him to make a statement like that. These visas are not something for you play around with and try out. Too many people struggle to obtain them to be devalued like that. Yes, we know you are dealt with less than what you want but you make do and overcome. You don't have to rush the marriage. Spend time with each other in other countries. And, who knows, this may even make your relationship stringer.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As others have posted try getting a tourist visa. If that does not work then you will have to meet in a third party country such as Canada or another country close to him. I understand that you want him to experience American life but that may not be possible. The closes to American life you may is probably Canada if he cannot come to America on a tourist visa. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

For what it's worth, as purely anecdotal data from an Indian (in a same-sex marriage, though not relevant to the rest of this post btw!)  -  tourist visas are not THAT hard to get, especially if you have a history of travel abroad. 

If this is your SO's first time travelling abroad and you are worried about rejection, you could try meeting in India or a third country (Singapore/South Africa are both fairly easy for Indians to go to, again this is anecdotal). 

2 hours ago, AffableAndy said:

For what it's worth, as purely anecdotal data from an Indian (in a same-sex marriage, though not relevant to the rest of this post btw!)  -  tourist visas are not THAT hard to get, especially if you have a history of travel abroad. 

If this is your SO's first time travelling abroad and you are worried about rejection, you could try meeting in India or a third country (Singapore/South Africa are both fairly easy for Indians to go to, again this is anecdotal). 

Hm, Singapore is not gay-friendly from what I heard?, maybe not the best idea. Cape Town would be totally fine. But it’s far.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond and giving suggestions. Frankly, this is all getting a bit depressing, and is muddying the fun of being in a new relationship and not being able to pursue it properly, like an adult, instead of having to play all these ridiculous games. It comes down to my government dictating what I can or can't do in my personal life.... Grrr. Meeting in other countries involves a lot of logistics/expense but is also just repeated vacations, not really representative of living together. We both feel the odds of getting the tourist visa are really slim (he hasn't traveled), and we lose time/money trying that (also demoralizing if denied). Neither of us really wants or cares about getting married in the legal/bureaucratic sense, but we both believe strongly in love-based commitment and partnership. So for the moment we're stuck. Need to think about it and talk and see what we come up with. I'll be reading more on this and other sites and hopefully the best solution will manifest itself. I'll refrain from venting further but may ask more questions if you don't mind. Again, thanks for your help! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The fact that he can afford to vacation in the US would seem a plus, if you want to wait until you have also visited other countries as has been mentioned and he can show a world travel pattern that would as well.

Why has he not traveled before? Seems to have no commitments stopping him?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 hours ago, MarryForLove said:

Frankly, this is all getting a bit depressing, and is muddying the fun of being in a new relationship and not being able to pursue it properly, like an adult, instead of having to play all these ridiculous games. It comes down to my government dictating what I can or can't do in my personal life.... Grrr. 

Except that is not what is happening. I know you are frustrated but there are reasons behind the process. Yes, there was a time a person could show up at the airport with a new foreign spouse and the border agent would stamp the immigrants passport to make them a permanent resident right at the gate. A LOT has happened since then. Immigration fraud, marriage fraud, and even terrorist attacks (one of the San Bernardino shooters came on a K1 visa)  have changed how the US government hand handle immigration cases.

The US government is not stopping you from doing what you want in your personal life. You still have options. They are just not immediate like you want them to be. In fact, the US government allows for same sex marriages which is still not recognized in a lot of other countries. I know you are venting in frustration but it is not as bad as it seems. Things could be a lot worse in your situation.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Important to remember that Immigration is a 2 way street, many factors come into play when deciding who moves.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, Unlockable said:

a women got notified that her K1 fiance was denied entry to the US. He had been given the K1 visa but was confused why he could not enter the US. After some investigation, it turns out that when her fiance was interview by the border agent at the port of entry, he was asked if he will be getting married to her, to which he replied, "I don't know. We will see." And just like that he was sent back on a flight to his country. The women posted on Visajourney how she was devastated to go through all of that work for the K1 and for him to make a statement like that.

You know, I always wondered what happened to that couple after that.  From what I remember, she never came back to the thread to update at the end WHY he said what he said, and what the end result was going forward in their relationship.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.