Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'spouse visa'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Family & Marriage Based US Visa Immigration Discussion
    • K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures
    • IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures
    • Direct Consular Filing (DCF) General Discussion
    • Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America
    • Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America
    • What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration
  • Non-Family Based US Visa Discussion
    • Tourist Visas
    • Work Visas
    • Student & Exchange Visitor Visas
    • Diversity Lottery Visas
    • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Consulate & USCIS Service Center Discussion
    • National Visa Center (Dept of State)
    • US Embassy and Consulate Discussion
    • Waivers (I-601 and I-212) and Administrative Processes (221g)
    • USCIS Service Centers
  • US Visa Holder and Permanent Resident Immigration Discussion
    • Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas
    • Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas
    • Working & Traveling During US Immigration
    • Tax & Finances During US Immigration
    • Removing Conditions on Residency General Discussion
    • US Citizenship General Discussion
    • Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits
    • Military Immigration-Related Discussion
    • General Immigration-Related Discussion
  • General Discussion Area
    • Off Topic
    • Games While You Wait
    • Regional Discussion
    • Moving to the US and Your New Life In America
    • Finding Work in America
    • Emigrating Outside the US
    • Current Events and Hot Social Topics
    • Introducing our Members
    • General Polls
    • US Immigration News and Discussion
    • Site-Related Discussion - Updates, Ideas, etc.
  • Moderator and Organizer Forums (Hidden)

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



miles from

Is online?

Has photo?

Content Count

Between and

Last Visit

Between and



Immigration Status

Place benefits filed at

Local Office


Our Story

Found 39 results

  1. Hi, Me and my husband are looking at doing the CR1 visa. We have two options, combining the income from my parents and me and filing as a household or having sole joint sponsor. Is one easier/better than the other? Is one more favorable to be accepted? Thank you for taking the time to help us, greatly appreciate any response.
  2. What is a IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa? IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visas are immigrant visas issued to foreign spouses of US Citizens. After the US citizen spouse files (and has approved) the proper petition with the USCIS, the foreign spouse will complete the visa process completely outside the US. Upon approval and once issued, the foreign spouse may enter the US with their visa and pass through the arrival Port of Entry, where they will become a Permanent Resident immediately. They will receive a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) in the mail at their US Address within a few weeks. Note to K3 Applicants: This process also applies to K3 Visa applicants whom have had their I-130 approved prior to their I-129f. In this case you may chose to persue the I-130 path as opposed the the K3. This will allow the immigrating relative to enter as a permanent resident as opposed to having to file for adjustment once here. If the I-129f is later approved and forwarded to the embassy then you can write them to request the approved I-130 be acted on and the K-3 process abandoned. Who is Eligible to File? U.S. citizens legally married to a foreign national may petition for a IR-1 / CR-1 visa. If the marriage is less than two years old, the consulate will issue a CR-1 Visa (and if longer than two years it will issue a IR-1 Visa). The primary difference between these two visas is that a CR-1 Visa will result in Conditional Permanent Residency (requiring a petition to be filed later to lift this conditional status) versus a IR-1 Visa resulting in full Permanent Residency upon arrival in the US by the foreign spouse. Forms Needed to File for a IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa: 1. I-130 2. I-130A 3. G-1145 (optional) The above forms can be filled out on your computer and printed. Make sure you sign and date them as required. Anything you cannot fit by typing, you can handwrite (very neatly) in black ink in the blank instead. You should always verify the current forms at www.uscis.gov. Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.): 1. Payment as required by USCIS. Use a personal check so you can track the payment. Money Orders are also accepted. Read the Guide to Paying USCIS Immigration Fees. 2. Cover Letter. Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-130), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet. 3. Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative 4. Copy of the full Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport. This is used to establish citizenship. 5. A copy of petitioner's proof of naturalization. (If applicable) 6. A copy of petitioner's proof of permanent residency. (If applicable) 7. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate and/or passport along with English translation. (If in any language other than English) (no longer needed) 8. A copy of your marriage certificate (If not in English then again get a translation) 9. If either you or your spouse were previously married, submit copies of documents showing that all prior marriages were legally terminated (court certified copies of the petitioner's and/or intending immigrant's divorce documents). 10. A copy of a prior spouse's death certificate. (If one or both of you were married before, and the prior spouse died) 11. Two passport-type photos (see specification) of the petitioner. Write the full name on the back of each photo. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding I-130. 12. Two passport-type photos (see specification) of the non-US Citzen spouse. Write the full name of the beneficiary on the back of each photo. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding I-130. 13. Evidence of a bonafide marriage (see note below for what to include) 14. Form I-130A: Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bonifide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as: 1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or 2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or 3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or 4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or 5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage); or 6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union. Attach "E-Notification" Form (Optional) Clip a completed G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, to the first page of your application (on top of the cover page). By completing this form and attaching it, USCIS will send you an email and/or text message to alert you when your application was received. Mail the I-130 Package to the USCIS You should mail the completed form(s) to the proper USCIS Lockbox (Note the location & PO Box address for your filing type: stand alone). Mail the package with return receipt requested / delivery confirmation. Send via USPS. IMPORTANT! Make TWO copies of the entire package before you send it in. This includes the money orders too. You want to have a perfect replica of the package you are sending in. All Forms that you submit must be originals with original signatures. Supporting Evidence that you submit may be photocopies. Retain ALL original supporting Evidence since the USCIS has the right to check them by issuing an RFE (Request For Evidence). If you receive an RFE, follow the direction exactly, and make two copies of what you sent back. During any future interviews the USCIS may also want to examine the original supporting evidence. Create a VJ Timeline Estimate processing time and approval date: Creating a VJ Timeline will allow you to track your case and will generate an estimated approval date for your petition. You can always gain access to many other tools to help you plan how long your Visa Journey will take! What Happens After You Mail the I-130 Out? A few weeks after you have sent your petition to the USCIS you will receive a Notice of Action (aka NOA) letter indicating that they have begun processing your I-130 application. You can check the status of your application as well as other processing time information here. When your I-130 petition is finally approved, the service center that processed your petition, will send you another Notice of Action letter indicating your approval, and the forwarding of your approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC) in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, along with a phone number to contact the NVC with. Your case will now only be dealt with by the NVC. The service center that you filed with, will have no more knowledge on the status of your petition or case. A few weeks after you have received your last Notice of Action indicating the approval and forwarding of your I-130 application to the NVC, the NVC will send your relative a packet of forms that you and your relative must fill out before your relative can be given an interview date with a consulate abroad. The packet will likely contain instructions to fill out the DS-261 and DS-260 online forms, by the intending immigrant. An I-864 form is also included that must be filled out by the petitioner (living in the US). The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support form that requires copies of the petitioners past 3 U.S tax returns (or tax transcripts which are free from the IRS) as well as any bank or financial records available (see the I-864 for exact requirements based on your case). The petitioner must make at least 125% above the U.S federal poverty to indicate to the U.S government that the intending immigrant will not become a federal charge to the government when he/she arrives in the U.S.. If the petitioner cannot meet these requirements, then he/she must still file an I-864, and find a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements on his/her own. When a joint sponsor is needed ,proof of their U.S citizenship or permanent residency is required. (i.e. copy of birth certificate, immigration status etc). The joint sponsor must be residing in the U.S, and he/she must also submit his/her past 3 years U.S tax returns along with bank or any other financial records available. The joint sponsor must submit his/her own I-864 form to accompany the petitioner's I-864 form. Forms that may be either sent back (or requested to be gathered and kept for the interview) to the NVC or the consulate abroad (depending upon which consulate you are going through) before an interview date with a consulate abroad can be scheduled are as follows: Pre-Interview Forms / Items: 1. Completed and signed OF-169. 2. Completed and signed Of-230 Part 1 and 2 forms. 3. I-864 Affidavit of Support Form along with past 3 year U.S tax returns (or transcripts) and any other financial documents required. 4. A copy of intending immigrants biographic page of passport(s) including expiration date. 5. Original or certified "long" birth certificate. * 6. Original adoption decree. (if applicable) 7. Marriage certificate. (if applicable) 8. Divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) (if applicable) 9. Police certificate(s) ** 10. Court and prison records.(if applicable) 11. Custody records. (if applicable) 12. Military records (if applicable) * Per the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), they may also be unavailable. Or certain countries don't have individual birth certificates as understood in the US, but the FAM will describe the suitable document. The consulate can explain the alternate requirements to the beneficiary in detail. ** On police clearances, as per the FAM, they may be unavailable. Or with some countries [Korea comes to mind], they will be sent directly to the consulate from the involved government. The consulate can explain the alternate requirements to the beneficiary in detail. After the NVC or Consulate Abroad receives the above forms and supporting documents (which may not all be required to mail back at that time), an interview date will be scheduled for the intending immigrant at a consulate abroad. The NVC or the consulate abroad will send your relative a letter indicating at what time and day the interview is scheduled for, and of required forms that must be brought to the interview. Make two copies of each original document or piece of evidence below and bring them with you. Documents needed are: Interview Forms / Items: 1. Valid Passport. 2. Original or certified "long" birth certificate. * 3. Original adoption decree. (if applicable) 4. Original or certified copy of the marriage certificate. (if applicable) 5. Original death certificate. (if applicable) 6. Original divorce decree. (if applicable) 7. Police certificate. ** 8. Court record(s) (if applicable). 9. I-864 Affidavit of Support Form along with past 3 year U.S tax returns (or transcripts) and any other financial documents required. (see poverty limits here) 10. Court and prison records.(if applicable) 11. Medical examination information 12. Two passport-type photos (see specification) of the spouse or benefitiary * You should have the originals on hand at this point for the Final Interview. Per the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), they may also be unavailable. Or certain countries don't have individual birth certificates as understood in the US, but the FAM will describe the suitable document. The consulate can explain the alternate requirements to the beneficiary in detail. ** On police clearances, as per the FAM, they may be unavailable. Or with some countries [Korea comes to mind], they will be sent directly to the consulate from the involved government. The consulate can explain the alternate requirements to the beneficiary in detail. On The day of your relatives (or spouses) interview, he/she must bring EVERY document listed above that applies to your case, and should be prepared for a long wait. There may be additional forms required. The interview appointment sheet will contain a list of everything you must bring. It will also tell you the payment amount due and the forms of payment accepted. The interview can last for as littles as 10 minutes or up to an hour depending upon your specific case. You relative will take an oath under US law to tell the truth, and it is very important that your relative answer every question as truthfully as possible. In general, it is a good idea that your relative bring documentation to prove strong ties and a relationship with you, the petitioner. (i.e. phone bills, letters etc.) If the consulate officer approves your relative's immigrant visa application, your relative will be issued an immigrant visa that allows your relative to become a US permanent resident. Your relative will become a U.S permanent resident only when he/she enters the U.S at a port of entry, until this time, he/she only has an immigrant visa that is valid up to 6 months from the interview date. If your relative cannot immigrate to the U.S within the 6 month allotted time, then his/her immigrant visa will expire, and the I-130 process must start all over again. At the bottom of either a CR-1 Spouse Visa or IR-1 Spouse Visa is the following sentence, "Upon Endorsement Serves As Temporary I-551 Valid For One Year." The endorsement is a standard CBP admission stamp with applicable information written in by the officer. This allows the visa itself to act as a temporary green card before the actual green card arrives in the mail. Additionally, if your relative is a CR-1 visa holder, the green card will only be valid for two years. Within ninety days before the green card expires, you will have to file an I-751 form to remove it's conditional status. As a general note, please see the I-130 FAQs here.
  3. American Citizen(dual citizen) and family living overseas out of wedlock due to marriage in the Philippines is not yet annulled. Can we get married in Hong Kong and apply for Spouse Visa or do I need to file divorce in the US for my marriage in the Philippines? If so, do I need to file it in the Philippines Court to recognized my divorce for me to be able to remarry in the Philippines. Thank you.
  4. i am beneficiary my case was applied in 4th may 2019 by my wife . my case center is texas . its been almost 4 month now how much i have to wait ?
  5. Hi there, im currently waiting while applying for a green card through a spousal visa, however while applying it for it here in the states I’ve realised I desperately need health insurance. Has anyone been in the same situation and needed to find health insurance so they can be seen by a medical doctor? I’ve recently been married who is a US citizen but I am struggling to get onto my husband’s health insurance. Advice or help would be hugely appreciated.
  6. Guys!! Is there a pattern for the USCIS to send the petitions for their service centers such as if there’s a straightforward case there’ll be sending it to this and that? If the case is involved with divorces and children from previous marriages they’ll be sending it to somewhere SC which has a slow processing time? Eg: California Service Center. As far as I know the CSC is the slowest. What do you guys think?
  7. Hello everyone!! I am a US Citizen and I changed my surname to my husband’s after we got married in last March. But I did not get a new passport for the new surname cause my passport expires in 2025. So we thought of amending it at the renewal. Will that invite a problem during the i 130 processing or maybe at the final interview??
  8. Hi guys!! I was just wondering when you go for the interview at the embassy abroad, should we both participate? Will there be only one interview? And if we both are participating whom are they questioning the most? Us Citizen or the beneficiary? What kinda questions will be asked from the beneficiary?
  9. i am from Pakistan but i went to Philippines to get marriage with my American fiance. i wanted to know that our marriage certificate and other documents are attested from Philippines so being a Pakistani none of our documents like marriage certificate and others are not attested from Pakistan . It is really necessary to attest all our documents from Pakistan? or it will not make any impact on our 130 process ?
  10. Good day everyone! I have been in a relationship with my American boyfriend for almost 3 years now. He will come visit next year and he told me that he wants us to get married here in Philippines, a civil wedding probably. I would like to ask if it is possible for us to get married even if it is just the first time that we meet? I would appreciate any answers. Thank you and have nice day!
  11. IV IR1 Spouse sponsored visa got expired in October 2017 (with extension) and now do I need to reopen case or apply new application. Thanks
  12. People who are waiting for their interview at Montreal Embassy please connect here. Please comment your Priority Date (PD) & Case Complete (CC) date. My details are below: PD: April-30-2018 CC: January-14-2019
  13. Hi I wanted to know if personal debt with bank might be a future concern to obtain visa and/or prevent future travel for spouse visa?
  14. Why is Ciudad Juarez taking forever to give Interviews! Has anyone gotten an Interview date lately? How long did you wait? The last papers that I send where in Sep. 2018 and at the end of Sep 2018 I got a email that all I have to do is wait for the interview date.
  15. How Long before the embassy appointment in Bogota shall I do the medical exams?
  16. Creating this thread for all the people having interview for IR-1/CR-1 in the month of February & March 2019 at Montreal, Canada. Please reply with your Case Complete (CC) date and Priority Date (PD).
  17. My fiancee is American and I am Russian, we want to get married as soon as possible in order to begin our CR1 application process. Neither Russia nor the U.S. are easy options for us. We decided to do our ceremony in Copenhagen after doing some research, and getting a ton of recommendations here: Now I'm looking for people who have similar backgrounds who have married in Copenhagen (case when both are foreigners, never married, no children). It looks like beginning January 1st of 2019 there are new rules in place (https://idocph.kk.dk/node/1647) and we want to make sure we are doing everything correctly. We'll really appreciate your input!
  18. Hi, What is best option to apply from Pakistan K1 or Spouse ? I know spouse takes time as compared to K1 but which one is easy? and If we are go with spouse so how many days we need to stay together ?
  19. Hey all, My fiancee and I are facing a choice - spouse visa or fiancee visa. What process seems easier? Here is our story to give you a little context: I am a Russian citizen. I got my bachelors in the US (2011-2016), and have been dating my American fiancee since 2012. After I finished my bachelor in summer 2016, I did an OPT on my H1B in the US. We were able to both live in the same city and date until summer 2017 when I had to go back to Russia as my OPT expired. The company I was working for during my OPT offered to sponsor my H1B visa application twice in 2017 and 2018, but unfortunately both times my application got denied. Since I returned home my fiancee and I have been in a long-distance relationship and took 2 trips to spend time with each other: one trip in December 2017 and a second trip in January 2019. We are both young professionals and don't have a ton of money to pay legal fees. What is the most cost- and time-effective way for us to proceed: K-1 or IR-1/CR-1 visa? Thanks, Vica
  20. Quick question We are in administrative process for two months already for cr1 visa and my wife is due to visit this weekend and she emailed the consulate that she’s visiting but we got no reply yet is it okay to visit the embassy upon arrival as she is a USC or she must make an appointment before being allowed in the embassy? Thanks in advance for your response 🙏🏾
  21. Hello! During my 90 days visit with ESTA visa me and my floridian boyfriend (he's American citizen) discovered that I'm pregnant so he asked me to marry him and we got married in Vegas in December. I have to go back to Europe at the beginning of February due to my work, but which visa he now has to apply so I could come back and stay with him? Is it K3? CR1/R1? Does he have to fill the I-130 form at first? Where can he do that? Can it be done online? How long will the whole process take? Does he have to be in United States all that processing time or can he visit me in Europe at about the time I will deliver our baby? And what about my 14yo son who I would like to take with me? Does he need a separate visa or can he be on my visa? And the new baby? We planned to return in August, is it conciderable at all? I'm really not familiar to the laws at all and I would appreciate a step-by-step guide (with links), if someone would be so kind ... Thank you so much!
  22. Hello I have a question about an issue. I have a friend who came to the United States on a student visa. During the time of the student visa my friend got married but the spouse never submitted for the adjustment of the alien spouse. Alien spouse never got a green card or any papers submitted on their behalf. They have since separated and are starting the divorce process. Questions: 1. What would the alien relative need to do to be able to get a green card? 2. Is getting a green card still an option? 3. Would the alien have to apply for green card prior to divorce? 4. Since student visa is expired what is the process? 5. Can you give me a link or guide me in the correct direction to help? Thank you for any input or suggestions it is much appreciated!!!
  23. Hi all, I’m gathering police certificates from 4 different countries I lived in. I have my Colombian one however I’d like to know if I need a Certificado de Movimientos Migratorios? i was in the states for 4 years however left after 3 months after I turned 18 Years old (meaning I don’t have a ban or anything). My lawyer can’t give me a straight answer assisting me instead she replied with this : “I recommend getting an FBI search from the U.S. for the criminal check. The government has not, in the past, requested a police clearance for those in the US for over 6 months, but policies are changing rapidly. In case they ask at the interview, I recommend getting a US check as well” i Have two questions : 1) For those of you who obtained a Colombian PC and lived in the states unlawfully would I need to get one as well even if I left 3 months after I turned 18 ? 2) What do you think regarding my Lawyers email? She keeps confusing me and not answering my questions ...Thank you!
  24. Hi! I have a regular job and also a freelancing job as a writer. In the Employer name, do I put ‘NA’ for my freelance job or do i write self-employed for my freeance writer job? Can I say ‘self-employed’ even if i have a regular job? Thanks in advance!
  • Create New...