Kacey8361

Advance Parole to travel to Canada

38 posts in this topic

Timeline

Help! 

Just got K-1 approval today. Entering USA in the morning, and just learned that my children’s father (who lives in Canada) has just suffered a stroke 😞 

needing time take the kids to see their father. Cannot do so for another 2 weeks. (Dec -8) This is a must! 

What do I do? Staying in Canada is not a possibility for right now, will be married next weekend (Dec 14)

Can I expect trouble upon re-entry into the USA?

thank you. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Do not enter the US and go to Canada first?

Impossible! The vehicle I am renting is from the US - will be entering US in the morning. Was going to bring this matter to their attention tomorrow when I cross. 

at my interview last week the lady said to me “you must not leave, and then re-enter US before you are married” to which I thought “no kidding, why would I?” Then this happened. 

totally freaking out

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Kacey8361 said:

Impossible! The vehicle I am renting is from the US - will be entering US in the morning. Was going to bring this matter to their attention tomorrow when I cross. 

at my interview last week the lady said to me “you must not leave, and then re-enter US before you are married” to which I thought “no kidding, why would I?” Then this happened. 

totally freaking out

K1 is a one-time entry. You won't be able to get this all sorted in time. If you must visit Canada, then you should sort out your affairs first before crossing the border, otherwise you will need to start from scratch.

Timeline
Just now, ADW & JOP said:

K1 is a one-time entry. You won't be able to get this all sorted in time. If you must visit Canada, then you should sort out your affairs first before crossing the border, otherwise you will need to start from scratch.

Thank you. I found a similar thread here where it was possible. In a total bind here. Have affairs in US that need to be taken care of andouille emergencies in Canada. 

when it rains, it pours 🤷🏻‍♀️

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kacey8361 said:

Thank you. I found a similar thread here where it was possible. In a total bind here. Have affairs in US that need to be taken care of andouille emergencies in Canada. 

It seems you have set your mind. This may be a helpful link for you.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents/emergency-travel

Good luck and all the best!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Kacey8361 said:

Just because it worked for somebody else doesnt mean it will work for you. The rules are clear and you probably won't be allowed to enter again and have to start all over again. 

Option 1) Delay entering the US. Marry on another date (what was the plan if you didn't get the visa in time...?).

Option 2) Enter the US, return to Canada, try to get the K-1 re validated.  Potentially have to start all over with a new visa.

Expedited AP doesn't appear to be an option here given that they would have to marry and file for AOS first, and they appear intent to marry on the 14th (or else #1 would not be a concern).have been avoided from the beginning. The timeline just doesn't make this an option if they need to leave so (and want to return) soon after entry.

Can't your partner or somebody else return the vehicle? I'm assuming they aren't that far away given that you are crossing by land already. Worst case, can't you extend the rental period?

Not sure how bringing it to their attention changes anything here.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

There have been cases where emergencies in the home country have meant that a K-1 person was able to return and then have the K-1 revalidated. However, it is at the discretion of the embassy and you must be unmarried when you re-enter. I wouldn’t bet the farm on it working just because there have been isolated reports where people have been successful with this.

It looks like you are attempting to leave AFTER the marriage. The K-1 cannot be revalidated if you have already married. You would still need to be a fiancé not a spouse. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Hold on - you said he was your husband last December and you were filing the I-130. How did you do a K-1? Did you get divorced between December 2018 and February 2019 and then decide to marry again?

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
48 minutes ago, JFH said:

Hold on - you said he was your husband last December and you were filing the I-130. How did you do a K-1? Did you get divorced between December 2018 and February 2019 and then decide to marry again?

Divorced the old on and got a new BF?

Impressively quick.

Or asking for a friend.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

18 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Divorced the old on and got a new BF?

Impressively quick.

Or asking for a friend.

Trouble is, many times we never find out. I often wonder what happens to all those posters. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.