K&D2020

no tourist visa or VWP, can he travel on pending K1?

31 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, implife said:

Just curious: why would a UK citizen need a tourist visa?

Maybe if the applicant is only living in the UK and isn't a UK national?

12 hours ago, K&D2020 said:

Does he have to have a visa of some sort

Yes. If approved, odds are it'll be a BCC or BBBCV: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/border-crossing-card.html

"Most Mexican nationals are issued a combined B-1/B-2 visa either in the form of a Border Crossing Card (BCC/mica) or a foil affixed to their Mexican passport (BBBCV/Laser Visa)." https://mx.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

Edited by HRQX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, implife said:

Filipino citizen working in the UK currently. 

3 hours ago, implife said:

My kiwi husband applied for (and got) a tourist visa.  There are reasons for VWP country citizens to want B visas.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
23 hours ago, K&D2020 said:

Yes I have traveled there several times, I just want him to visit USA. I guess we will be applying for a B2 in hopes that it gets approved! I hope the B1/B2 visa approval rates are good for Mex-USA travel these days  :(

I highly recommend against this and I speak from personal experience here. My fiancée was denied a B2 visa from London (very low risk country compared to others) because she has a US partner (me) and this was before we even got engaged. It’ll just be more your fiancée will have to explain at the K1 interview. I’m going to attach a link to an approval odds calculator so that you can calculate his odds of receiving a B2 visa and see for yourself, weigh your own pros and cons of explaining it at the K1 interview and causing unnecessary difficulties, but I still highly highly recommend against this. I wouldn’t recommend anyone apply for a B2 while they’re in a relationship with a United States citizen. It’s a waste of money, time, energy and an unnecessary hassle that future you will have to pick up after. Good luck to you on your guys’ K1 visa journey.

https://rapidvisa.com/tourist-visa-odds/

Edited by mogiftney

"Well, I Was Sleeping, Y'Know, And My Mother, Who Passed When I Was Very Young, Y'Know, She Appeared In A Dream, Y'Know, And She Told Me, Y'Know, Very Gently To Just Let It Be, And So The Next Morning I Went Right Over To The Piano, Y'Know, And I Began To, Y'Know, Write The Song, Y'Know"

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

A denied visitor visa has no bearing on a K-1 visa application.   You don't have to explain a denied visitor visa at the K-1 interview.

No one can give anyone the odds of getting a visitor visa.  It's a gimmick from rapidvisa so you will pay them for service. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, mogiftney said:

I highly recommend against this and I speak from personal experience here. My fiancée was denied a B2 visa from London (very low risk country compared to others) because she has a US partner (me) and this was before we even got engaged. It’ll just be more your fiancée will have to explain at the K1 interview. I’m going to attach a link to an approval odds calculator so that you can calculate his odds of receiving a B2 visa and see for yourself, weigh your own pros and cons of explaining it at the K1 interview and causing unnecessary difficulties, but I still highly highly recommend against this. I wouldn’t recommend anyone apply for a B2 while they’re in a relationship with a United States citizen. It’s a waste of money, time, energy and an unnecessary hassle that future you will have to pick up after. Good luck to you on your guys’ K1 visa journey.

The only folks who have to explain a B2 Visa at a K1 or CR1/IR1 interview are those that lied or misreped on the application.

1. The ones who said they were married or had children to make it seem they have ties to their country.

2. The I am visiting a friend or I know no one in US when you have a fiance', boyfriend, girlfriend or wife.

Applying and being denied doesn't hinder a K1, CR1/IR1, again unless you lied.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

13 hours ago, mogiftney said:

OP is not from a VWP country, so it is like comparing apples and oranges.  In other words, a B-2 denial will not lead to an ESTA revocation or denial, like it could for a Brit.

My fiance, also from a VWP country, DID get a B-2.  The B-2 refusal rate for NZ is about 16%, which isn't bad.  Your fiancee's refusal was likely influenced by more than just being in a relationship with an American.   Age, employment, ties to home, etc are all parameters considered by consular officers.

B-2 refusal rates per country are more meaningful than some hack visa company's "visa odds" calculator.

And like others have said, a B denial in no way impacts the approval of a K visa, or spousal visa, etc.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
9 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

OP is not from a VWP country, so it is like comparing apples and oranges.  In other words, a B-2 denial will not lead to an ESTA revocation or denial, like it could for a Brit.

My fiance, also from a VWP country, DID get a B-2.  The B-2 refusal rate for NZ is about 16%, which isn't bad.  Your fiancee's refusal was likely influenced by more than just being in a relationship with an American.   Age, employment, ties to home, etc are all parameters considered by consular officers.

B-2 refusal rates per country are more meaningful than some hack visa company's "visa odds" calculator.

And like others have said, a B denial in no way impacts the approval of a K visa, or spousal visa, etc.

Why someone need a b2, If they are from a vwp country? Im from vwp too, if i wanna visit my fiance, do i need a b2 or i can go with esta?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lnvall said:

Why someone need a b2, If they are from a vwp country? Im from vwp too, if i wanna visit my fiance, do i need a b2 or i can go with esta?

The person would need a B2 if the person wants to spend more than 90 days in the US.  The risk of seeking a B-2 visa is that a denial of the visa would adversely affect ESTA and the person may not travel to the US.

You do not need a B-2 if you are fine with the 90 days limit on the VWP.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most common reason would be that they do not qualify for the VWP dues to things like criminal convictions, prior immigration violations.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, Lnvall said:

Why someone need a b2, If they are from a vwp country?

Many reasons; it can depend on the "responses to any of the “yes” or “no” questions on the ESTA application." https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html For example, the following individuals aren't eligible for VWP travel:

• Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country).
  • Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria.

A totally different example is an individual that wants to sail into the US. They need a B-1/B-2: https://sailingbritican.com/b1-b2-visa-for-sailors/

Edited by HRQX

17 minutes ago, HRQX said:

A totally different example is an individual that wants to sail into the US. They need a B-1/B-2: https://sailingbritican.com/b1-b2-visa-for-sailors/

*Correction: They can attempt to enter with I-94W; similar to those who drive into the US: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1132?language=en_US I shouldn't have said "they need a B-1/B-2."

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.