Greekwife

Final public charge rule

698 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

1. Nope. You asked the question about have I seen Africans from poor countries immigrating and I gave you personal experience.

2. It is not about discriminating. There is literally no logical way to even immigrate a fraction of the billions of people willing to cone here. It just can't happen. That is why there is immigration control which every county has.

3. It doesn't matter if immgrants consume a little or a lot. The point is, if there is a need to enforce a rule then they can do that. Whether It is 1 immigrant or 1 million using welfare, it is still a law and the government can enforce it.

1. I dont know if you are just being facetious or obtuse but with these new rule changes will make it much more harder for people who come from certain places to immigrate.

2. This is not about unwashed masses of africans/asians or latin americans getting on boats and coming over without any controls whatsoever, There has already been very controls on who can come over and now they have even been made more stricter. This is telling American citizens that they can not sponsor thier spouses, parents and family if they come from certain places unless you make so much money blah blah.

3. There is NO law that prohibits an immigrant that using welfare benefits that they QUALIFY for. There is already prohibitions of using welfare in the first 5 years of LPR status or until you become a citizen and they were working well.  I don't know how many things this administration has to do for you see that their goal on immigration is to severely curtail it or at least change where people are coming from. If you don't believe me believe Trump, he said it himself - " why don't we have more immigrants from Norway instead of from hole countries?". Everything they have done since taking power has been to make things tougher for immigrants.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, azblk said:

There has already been very controls on who can come over and now they have even been made more stricter. This is telling American citizens that they can not sponsor thier spouses, parents and family if they come from certain places unless you make so much money blah blah.

There are no countries or regions listed in the public charge rule.......it seems to be equally applied over the entire world.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, missileman said:

There are no countries or regions listed in the public charge rule.......it seems to be equally applied over the entire world.....

The issue would be some countries are not as well off as others. Eg a person from canada uk sweden, australia etc would have an easier time to get the "positive" factor of making 25k a year (but as I read it now, is not necessary). Rather than someone who may come from a third world country where they do not make as much money at all. 

I do think the new rule will not be beneficial whatsoever to those from third world countries, and will show a lot of favourtisim to other first world or western countries. Whether this is specifically racist, well this is for people to debate. 

I just hope if the spouse in the US makes more than enough money to sponsor the individual, regardless of where in the world they are from, it will matter a lot more than the other factors. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
4 minutes ago, missileman said:

Yes but it is much easier for people in countries with stronger economies to overcome. Someone coming from Taiwan, Singapore or Japan will overcome this much easier than someone from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Timeline

It all revolves around the probability of a SPECIFIC person becoming a public charge....nothing more....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

https://www.cato.org/blog/center-immigration-studies-exaggerates-immigrant-welfare-use

https://www.cato.org/blog/center-immigration-studies-overstates-immigrant-non-citizen-native-welfare-use

They don't actually as pointed out repeatedly to CIS over the years multiple times. But doesn't much matter at this point.

Those studies still show that Immigrants use services at a higher rate than native born USCs. It is not as much as CIS says it is but it is still more than. I may not agree with all of CISs studies but it has been proven over the years that for the most part they are right but their numbers are off. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

11 minutes ago, setsemas said:

Thank you it was very informative and straight forward except for pages 18-20, 42-43 and then it just goes in to fear mongering. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

1 minute ago, azblk said:

If the issue at hand is use of welfare by immigrants then let them make it illegal and let there be repercussions for the use of that welfare.

When you start making people inadmissible because your crystal ball told you that those people are more likely than others to become public charges is very problematic. 

That's what they are clarifying but according to you and a couple other people on here it is classist and racist. 

18 minutes ago, setsemas said:

Great resource for the facts.

Not a fan of the obvious slant for the other items (and trust me, I'm no fan of the POTUS).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Thank you it was very informative and straight forward except for pages 18-20, 42-43 and then it just goes in to fear mongering. 

I didn't really care for page 2 either......but there was some good info in the presentation, imo.

3 minutes ago, missileman said:

I didn't really care for page 2 either......but there was some good info in the presentation, imo.

I had to go back and look at that and I didn't like that page either. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, azblk said:

Come on, Man!!!   Really?

This is getting out of hand. It is a bunch of back and forth and it is because people are seeing two different things.

The change does NOT target specific countries, regions, or people. It is based on individual cases like @missileman pointed out.

It will not make it harder for people to legally immigrate if they meet the requirements.

This is not a burden for the immigrant but more-so on the sponsoring US partner. 

Public charge denials have been happening well before this new change.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.