Boiler

The world’s most dangerous countries for women 2018

194 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am wondering which Countries you have been to which are better from that perspective?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

I am wondering which Countries you have been to which are better from that perspective?

Well, I did say that I didn't think that it was a completely fair comparison, and that it's a "perception" study. My own comparison with other countries I have lived in -- I don't think it's fair to compare the US to countries I've only visited briefly -- is limited to the UK. I did a year abroad there, and then also "lived" there for almost six months before I got engaged to my ex as a trial run to make sure we really wanted to get married. This was in 2005-6 and then again in 2008. I would put the UK, at least the parts I lived in (London, Bristol), as pretty similar, but I felt safer in some ways. For example, even though my ex hated it, I would sometimes go to a pub and sit on my own and do coursework and have a pint in the afternoon. I don't recall getting harassed anywhere near as much as I do here, even though I am significantly older now than then. This was in Bristol, by the way. I was catcalled a lot less there than here -- and I live in Berkeley!!!! (Woke guys are only... so woke, I guess.) But again, my experience is affected by the fact that I am sheltered from the very worst of it through my privilege. I'm not a young woman living in poverty, or a girl being exploited. But I still feel it every day. I work in a job where I deal with the public, and I get creepy guys who take my presence AT MY JOB as an invitation to be asked out. It is NOT OKAY to come to someone's work and ask them out. Sorry, digressing. So my comparison that the UK is "better" is really colored by the limitations I have through my privilege. I can't say it's better, or worse. I'm not an expert, I'm just a woman with some anecdata. :) 

23 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Except its not and the study was a farces 

Except what's not? Sorry, I don't follow.

Timeline

I was going to say you need to travel more, but in the circumstances I do not think that would be a good idea.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

59 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I was going to say you need to travel more, but in the circumstances I do not think that would be a good idea.

Well, it's not like I've only been to the US and the UK. Those are just the only places I've lived. I've been all over Europe, to South Korea, Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caymans, St. Barts, Anguilla, etc. But I don't think it's fair of me to make those kind of comparisons because ultimately I was just a tourist. It's my opinion, really only an opinion, that a tourist just isn't going to have the same experience as someone has who lives there. You're going to see different things, probably a better side, especially in the places I visited. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 hours ago, laylalex said:

Reuters has a VERY good reputation for neutral and highly factual content.

67477276_2970254379667864_87635069335345

The headline artfully suppresses the fact this is a Mexican soldier stopping her from illegally passing through Mexico.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/26/mother-son-mexican-guard-border-photo-desperation

The Graun did the same, you have to read the teeny weeny print to see it was Racist Mexican police.

12 hours ago, laylalex said:

Well, I did say that I didn't think that it was a completely fair comparison, and that it's a "perception" study. My own comparison with other countries I have lived in -- I don't think it's fair to compare the US to countries I've only visited briefly -- is limited to the UK. I did a year abroad there, and then also "lived" there for almost six months before I got engaged to my ex as a trial run to make sure we really wanted to get married. This was in 2005-6 and then again in 2008. I would put the UK, at least the parts I lived in (London, Bristol), as pretty similar, but I felt safer in some ways. For example, even though my ex hated it, I would sometimes go to a pub and sit on my own and do coursework and have a pint in the afternoon. I don't recall getting harassed anywhere near as much as I do here, even though I am significantly older now than then. This was in Bristol, by the way. I was catcalled a lot less there than here -- and I live in Berkeley!!!! (Woke guys are only... so woke, I guess.) But again, my experience is affected by the fact that I am sheltered from the very worst of it through my privilege. I'm not a young woman living in poverty, or a girl being exploited. But I still feel it every day. I work in a job where I deal with the public, and I get creepy guys who take my presence AT MY JOB as an invitation to be asked out. It is NOT OKAY to come to someone's work and ask them out. Sorry, digressing. So my comparison that the UK is "better" is really colored by the limitations I have through my privilege. I can't say it's better, or worse. I'm not an expert, I'm just a woman with some anecdata. :) 

Except what's not? Sorry, I don't follow.

It is so obvious Helen Keller could see it 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Logical fallacy - no one has privilege. Privilege is earned.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Timeline

White Privilege you just get automatically, it is wonderful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I suppose working my bum off had nothing to do with it?  🤭

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

some called me racist (conservative views)  for having a white privilege. im not even white. 

USA as number 10 is clearly grasping straws probably the result of false narratives of the #metoo movement. Asian countries had it worst for women comparable to American women who can win Gold medals in soccer and earn millions of dollars and yet still complain of inequality and being suppressed with their rights. 

Timeline

Well it is complicated, it is possible to have WP and not be white and vice versa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Neo Anderson said:

true, if you don't fall in line to the stereotype  of a minority with liberal views. it's a de facto you have a WP and possibly racist. 

So true, WP is simply a tag line that says you do not agree with the Leftist and Antifa's Jack Booted Thugs will soon be knocking at your door.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Since there are already numerous threads that have been side tracked into white privilege discussion, perhaps we can get this one back on topic.

Looking beyond what might appear as America bashing, there are some significant factors that contribute to the ranking. The USA has the highest maternal mortality rate of any developed nation by a large margin. Health factors related to obesity affect everyone in the USA at a higher rate than most of the world. That is not limited to women in particular, but does reflect on mortality rates in general. It's not all about causes related to violence, although we don't rank very well in that area either.

The results of the poll are not based on metrics as far as I can tell, and it would be better to get something like this backed with concrete data rather than opinion. However rather than kill the messenger, it's probably worth realizing that this poll is actually corroborated by several other studies of health and quality of life. Sure we are not Somalia. The USA is probably not actually in the top 10 for dangerous counties, but it's also not as far down the list as it should be. We could be doing a lot better.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an