Boiler

The world’s most dangerous countries for women 2018

194 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Since there are already numerous threads that have been side tracked into white privilege discussion, perhaps we can get this one back on topic.

Looking beyond what might appear as America bashing, there are some significant factors that contribute to the ranking. The USA has the highest maternal mortality rate of any developed nation by a large margin. Health factors related to obesity affect everyone in the USA at a higher rate than most of the world. That is not limited to women in particular, but does reflect on mortality rates in general. It's not all about causes related to violence, although we don't rank very well in that area either.

The results of the poll are not based on metrics as far as I can tell, and it would be better to get something like this backed with concrete data rather than opinion. However rather than kill the messenger, it's probably worth realizing that this poll is actually corroborated by several other studies of health and quality of life. Sure we are not Somalia. The USA is probably not actually in the top 10 for dangerous counties, but it's also not as far down the list as it should be. We could be doing a lot better.

I think that was the point we were discussing. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Ban Hammer said:

67477276_2970254379667864_87635069335345

The headline artfully suppresses the fact this is a Mexican soldier stopping her from illegally passing through Mexico.

The article is really clear about what is happening though, and the headline isn't incorrect. It isn't even misleading. Just because it isn't written exactly the way everyone wants, just because it doesn't cram in every little detail doesn't make it wrong. :huh:

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/26/mother-son-mexican-guard-border-photo-desperation

The Graun did the same, you have to read the teeny weeny print to see it was Racist Mexican police.

Ummm, that's not tiny print, at least on my computer. Maybe your resolution settings on your computer are off? Mine's at least 12 pt, I think.

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline

Nothing deflates the "white privilege" windbag quite like the proof of success.

Those who go on about white privilege need to understand something: the world is what you make of it. In May, I put cash down on a 2019 BMW M5. (I promise, this is not a humble brag, but the basis of my point) I was able to do this because when the time came in my early life, I had a choice. I could become a wage slave, work in a cubicle, perhaps work my way up to middle management or even a director level before eventually retiring from corporate cog to drafty council housing pensioner. Or I could take charge, be a leader, work hard, pull myself up by my own boot straps, and control my own destiny. The latter is by far the riskiest, the most prone to reward, and of course the route I chose. And what a country to live in, where that option is open to every single living soul.

Oh but it's an unlevel playing field I hear from the entitled, the Ocasio-Cortez and the Sanders people. Well let's pull that thread a bit, shall we? When Washington faced Cornwallis on the literal field of battle, does history record General Washington demanding his opponent move off a few furlongs where the terrain was more favorable to his troops? It does not. This country has a rich history of overcoming obstacles and vanquishing odds. Music, professional sports, and the entertainment industry are all dominated by minorities who, like me, refused to be a cog or somebody's charity case. God love them for it. And even those who choose less lofty goals do fine as long as they're prepared to put in the minimal amount of work. One of our receptionists is, I believe, Indian or Pakistani. Walking through the offices, I come across darker shades of skin almost as often as the paler sort. I assume they are content with their life, and good on them for making the choice to be productive members of society.

Finally, gauging from the homeless population here in LA, the demographics seem roughly equal among the darker and lighter skinned sort. It seems ambition knows no skin tone, but neither does lack of ambition. Furthermore, many of these so-called homeless seem young and healthy, white, university age, and certainly have the money to have their hair professionally dreadlocked. I often wonder if at the end of a leisurely day of soliciting, they drive to the local dispensary and then to their parent's basement to indulge in smoking the fruits of their leisurely day in the sun.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

45 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Since there are already numerous threads that have been side tracked into white privilege discussion, perhaps we can get this one back on topic.

Looking beyond what might appear as America bashing, there are some significant factors that contribute to the ranking. The USA has the highest maternal mortality rate of any developed nation by a large margin. Health factors related to obesity affect everyone in the USA at a higher rate than most of the world. That is not limited to women in particular, but does reflect on mortality rates in general. It's not all about causes related to violence, although we don't rank very well in that area either.

The results of the poll are not based on metrics as far as I can tell, and it would be better to get something like this backed with concrete data rather than opinion. However rather than kill the messenger, it's probably worth realizing that this poll is actually corroborated by several other studies of health and quality of life. Sure we are not Somalia. The USA is probably not actually in the top 10 for dangerous counties, but it's also not as far down the list as it should be. We could be doing a lot better.

Thank you! I totally agree with you that being able to see metrics would have been useful, but again this is a viewpoint survey. It's about perception, and right now, the US is seen as falling down in areas it could do better in. You make a good point about the public health of women here, which is appalling. We don't have to be like this, but we are. 

I see that no one wants to engage with me on what I raised as the only woman (I think) posting in this thread about how very unsafe a woman can feel just by going out and being a woman in everyday life. Just last night I was at the supermarket and I was minding my own business, looking at cans of San Marzano tomatoes and as I reached up for one off the shelf, a man flicked my upper arm, just to get my attention. Didn't say, ma'am, excuse me. No, he touched me, and not just a little tap. He flicked a finger on me. Why? So I would look at him smirking, and I would know I am just an object to look at. Once I recovered from my shock, I spoke with security, but he had already left the store. As I said before, I'm no one special. Similar things have happened to me before, and will happen again, just as they will to other women. I'm not saying this is the same as rape at gunpoint, jesus, no. But what happened to me is normal in our society, and it just should not be. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

When you are white and can make $10,000 for a 2 hour talk about White Privilege is that not White Privilege?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Thank you! I totally agree with you that being able to see metrics would have been useful, but again this is a viewpoint survey. It's about perception, and right now, the US is seen as falling down in areas it could do better in. You make a good point about the public health of women here, which is appalling. We don't have to be like this, but we are. 

I see that no one wants to engage with me on what I raised as the only woman (I think) posting in this thread about how very unsafe a woman can feel just by going out and being a woman in everyday life. Just last night I was at the supermarket and I was minding my own business, looking at cans of San Marzano tomatoes and as I reached up for one off the shelf, a man flicked my upper arm, just to get my attention. Didn't say, ma'am, excuse me. No, he touched me, and not just a little tap. He flicked a finger on me. Why? So I would look at him smirking, and I would know I am just an object to look at. Once I recovered from my shock, I spoke with security, but he had already left the store. As I said before, I'm no one special. Similar things have happened to me before, and will happen again, just as they will to other women. I'm not saying this is the same as rape at gunpoint, jesus, no. But what happened to me is normal in our society, and it just should not be. 

You live in a crazy part of the Country, what do you expect?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

You live in a crazy part of the Country, what do you expect?

Do you really think this type of thing only happens in Berkeley? I can promise you, it's all over the place. I grew up in the LA area, went to college in the Northeast, and have taken a cross-country road trip. This isn't confined to Berkeley.

1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Do you really think this type of thing only happens in Berkeley? I can promise you, it's all over the place. I grew up in the LA area, went to college in the Northeast, and have taken a cross-country road trip. This isn't confined to Berkeley.

No it's not just confined to Berkeley. It happens to us ladies everywhere.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Well I have some knowledge of Berkeley, and from what I can gather things have got a lot worse.

All I know is that it is not common where I live. Might explain why so many people seem keen to leave CA.

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Well I have some knowledge of Berkeley, and from what I can gather things have got a lot worse.

All I know is that it is not common where I live. Might explain why so many people seem keen to leave CA.

I assume you are a man. Trust me, you do not know what is happening. Do you think the women around you tell you of every single daily humiliation or belittling or infantilization or condescension or invasion into their space? I doubt it. Women and girls get inured to it -- you almost forget these things happen because they happen every day. Every day. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I assume you are a man. Trust me, you do not know what is happening. Do you think the women around you tell you of every single daily humiliation or belittling or infantilization or condescension or invasion into their space? I doubt it. Women and girls get inured to it -- you almost forget these things happen because they happen every day. Every day. 

Well at least you have the opportunity of moving to Scotland.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, laylalex said:

The article is really clear about what is happening though, and the headline isn't incorrect. It isn't even misleading. Just because it isn't written exactly the way everyone wants, just because it doesn't cram in every little detail doesn't make it wrong. :huh:

So she would rather be taken captive by the "Jack Booted Thug Nazis" on the US side of the border.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, laylalex said:

So it is an East and West coast thing?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

No it's not just confined to Berkeley. It happens to us ladies everywhere.

Ummm, it does happen to men as well.  Of course no one notices since men cannot be victims unless they choose another identity.