stacyt

Wedding after interview before POE?

38 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Scandi said:

People who lie have a tendency to have several accounts and post things like "asking for a friend".

No, we’re friend with Stasyt 😀. Just talked about this situation in Whats’up , and we were wonder if that a big mistake for them

17 minutes ago, ability said:

No, we’re friend with Stasyt 😀. Just talked about this situation in Whats’up , and we were wonder if that a big mistake for them

They should not have done it. Why even go through the K1 process if it was that important to have the wedding there?

1 hour ago, stacyt said:

So, I know they can’t lie in the application or in any of the forms. I went through k-1 myself and I would personally never take a risk like that, but we’re having a huge debate.

i know it usually backfires when people have any sort of engagement or wedding parties BEFORE the interview, but if they have it after and a few days before getting to the US and they don’t actually get legally married, I can’t recall a moment looking back at my immigration process where I would have to answer any type of questions about this. The next time they would have to fill out a form would be AOS and they will be legally married in the US

This is wrong, the person who applies for the K1 agrees to only get married in the US. Not after the interview, not before the get on the plan, not anytime before they reach US soil.

The big issue is with all the pictures and wedding dress and everything that looks like a wedding on Facebook, can they prove that they are NOT married?

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration related Discussion, from K1 P&P - The Op's friend has already entered the US on her K1 and they are asking about possible future issues.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

11 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

They should not have done it. Why even go through the K1 process if it was that important to have the wedding there?

Honestly, I don't know, it was a surprise for everyone here.  Now , it's a surprise for them, after what we said and what kind of problems they can have

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, stacyt said:

Hello! My friends were just approved for K-1 visa, and they had a wedding in the girl’s home country, before she left to America. They didn’t actually get married, no official docs signed, but they had the party, the dress, pictures all over the Facebook etc. They plan to get officially married at the courthouse when she gets there. Is there any chance this backfires at any point and how?

At the interview, they signed an agreement not to get married, so not understanding why they did anyway. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sorry hahah so ability is my friend and we had a huge debate with her wether or not her friends are going to get in trouble, so here I am backing up my argument. Sorry for a confusion everyone 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

People have been denied entry for this even after the visa is issued. CBP can deny entry if they believe you are no longer eligible for it.

How likely it is to happen is up for debate, but it is a very, very real risk. After going that far, I can't imagine it being worth it. Wait for AOS + AP in the US then have whatever celebration you want abroad and not have to worry about anything.

They’re already in the US. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, ability said:

It’s hanging over them now.  Through every future immigration step.  

Regardless of whether this will have any consequences or not, I am getting so sick of reading stories of people that go through the Immigration process (that has very clear rules btw) and try to just do it their way anyway..

Is the thought of not having your family with you on your wedding day unbearable? Then why on earth go the K1 way? Get married in your home country and let your spouse file for a CR-1 for example. But of course these people are too impatient and want to be together asap. Very short time views..

Same with people that filed for a K1, come to the US and post that they HAVE to travel back home because of a family emergency or something, and want to move heaven and earth to make that happen and get angry if it doesn’t.

When you make the huge decision of getting married and moving to the US, take into consideration ALL the aspects of the process and take your responsibility! Not just use the aspects that work for you!

Immigration is not Burger King, you can’t (always) have it your way!!

*rant over* 😊

Edited by Daphne K

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Daphne K said:

Regardless of whether this will have any consequences or not, I am getting so sick of reading stories of people that go through the Immigration process (that has very clear rules btw) and try to just do it their way anyway..

Is the thought of not having your family with you on your wedding day unbearable? Then why on earth go the K1 way? Get married in your home country and let your spouse file for a CR-1 for example. But of course these people are too impatient and want to be together asap. Very short time views..

Same with people that filed for a K1, come to the US and post that they HAVE to travel back home because of a family emergency or something, and want to move heaven and earth to make that happen and get angry if it doesn’t.

When you make the huge decision of getting married and moving to the US, take into consideration ALL the aspects of the process and take your responsibility! Not just use the aspects that work for you!

Immigration is not Burger King, you can’t (always) have it your way!!

*rant over* 😊

I agree. I have had to tell people time and again that this journey, whether it is the CR-1 (spousal), K-1 (fiancé(e), or any visa as a matter of fact; this is not a sprint where you will get something quick and be done. It is a marathon where you have to pace yourself or in this case develop patience to be able to get through the process. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

14 hours ago, stacyt said:

They didn’t actually get married, no official docs signed, but they had the party, the dress, pictures all over the Facebook etc

You can try to maintain the technicality of your friend NOT being married but they just made it VERY married when they posted it to social media. I mean, I get that they probably did it that way so family could be a part of it but they should have thought of that when planning the move to US so the proper Visa could be applied for. 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Timeline

It’s done, hope they are ok but anyone reading this is cautioned - don’t do what they did.  Why risk the whole thing?  Marry with the family, file the proper petition, and keep everything above board with no reason to trigger a review or question.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
22 hours ago, stacyt said:

Hello! My friends were just approved for K-1 visa, and they had a wedding in the girl’s home country, before she left to America. They didn’t actually get married, no official docs signed, but they had the party, the dress, pictures all over the Facebook etc. They plan to get officially married at the courthouse when she gets there. Is there any chance this backfires at any point and how?

while it may be better to avoid any appearance of a wedding, the answer really hinges in whether whatever celebration is being held would be recognized as a legal marriage in the foreign country. Otherwise, a proper explanation of the cultural custom of the celebration should be sufficient if questions arise during AOS.

Timeline
1 hour ago, LaBeach said:

while it may be better to avoid any appearance of a wedding, the answer really hinges in whether whatever celebration is being held would be recognized as a legal marriage in the foreign country. Otherwise, a proper explanation of the cultural custom of the celebration should be sufficient if questions arise during AOS.

Seen a lot of “too married for K1” cases over the years.

Warning should be given that IO’s have interpreted a wedding party with a bride in a wedding dress as “too married”, rejected filed petitions, and sent couples back to start over.

MANY times discovery during different steps in the immigration process have invalidated original benefits.

Hence the cautionary advice.

Edited by Nitas_man

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.