6 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

Very new to the community but excited to be here.. So, a little background.. 

My fiancee & I have applied for the K-1 Visa in June 2018. In December, we received the first approval and then she completed her medical in March, moved here in May from Sweden. I'm above the Poverty Guidelines by the USCIS / DHS. We will be getting married next week, nothing crazy, just a standard Justice of the Peace Ceremony. We are so excited to have our lives together and plan to have the AOS submitted in the next few weeks or so.  From my understanding, PA takes about 10 days after getting married. 

Any way.. Here's our dilemma, I have the opportunity for change employment. That is actually going to have me making double or even close to triple to what my current income is now. So, there is an offer on the table that is extremely tempting (Obviously). I would be leaving one well-known established company for another well known & established corporation. There is no worry of the company falling apart at anytime. My only concern is that when the employment is all said & done with changing jobs it may negatively affect the Adjustment of Status. Interesting how life throws you a curve ball. I know changing jobs would probably mean more paperwork, which I do not mind. We have conquered the Mountain so far. 

Summary: I have a new job offer, everything will not be said & done until after I submit the AOS because of the timing. Can changing jobs affect me? Can changing jobs so close to submitting the AOS negatively affect me? Is there anyone out there that can relate or help me?

Please and thank you for your help!😄

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Doesn't change anything. Submit your I864 I think it is for support based on where you are working now, and bring an updated one to the interview when you have it with your new job info. Don't wait to file AOS, you want to get that on the way ASAP.

USCIS understands people's lives go on, and employment changes happen all the time. Not a big deal.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree, this should have no impact on the AOS.  Good luck with the new job, and Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

50 minutes ago, Mike_3833 said:

Hello Everyone!

Very new to the community but excited to be here.. So, a little background.. 

My fiancee & I have applied for the K-1 Visa in June 2018. In December, we received the first approval and then she completed her medical in March, moved here in May from Sweden. I'm above the Poverty Guidelines by the USCIS / DHS. We will be getting married next week, nothing crazy, just a standard Justice of the Peace Ceremony. We are so excited to have our lives together and plan to have the AOS submitted in the next few weeks or so.  From my understanding, PA takes about 10 days after getting married. 

Any way.. Here's our dilemma, I have the opportunity for change employment. That is actually going to have me making double or even close to triple to what my current income is now. So, there is an offer on the table that is extremely tempting (Obviously). I would be leaving one well-known established company for another well known & established corporation. There is no worry of the company falling apart at anytime. My only concern is that when the employment is all said & done with changing jobs it may negatively affect the Adjustment of Status. Interesting how life throws you a curve ball. I know changing jobs would probably mean more paperwork, which I do not mind. We have conquered the Mountain so far. 

Summary: I have a new job offer, everything will not be said & done until after I submit the AOS because of the timing. Can changing jobs affect me? Can changing jobs so close to submitting the AOS negatively affect me? Is there anyone out there that can relate or help me?

Please and thank you for your help!😄

Don't worry because it will not affect the AOS at all. When I brought my wife here on a K1 visa I changed jobs/companies as well and there was no issue at all. So please do not worry about it. 

Take the job offer. It has no impact on the AOS. You fill the paperwork based on the information applicable on that day. If at the day you fill the paperwork you are still with the old company than you fill that. If at that day you’re with the new company than you fill that with the written offer and salary. By the time of the interview, you will have plenty of paystubs. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations - on the marriage and the job offer. 

If the current offer is a better fit for you, take it.  There’s nothing in the AoS process that would keep you from missing an opportunity like that.  You can always provide additional documents later.

Congrats again :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.