17 posts in this topic

Just now, yellowbee12 said:

How long after marriage do we need to apply for adjustment of status? Also, what are the steps to getting a marriage certificate? 

We tried to look these questions but keep getting different results. 

Thank you! 

It is recommended to apply ASAP.  We sent our paperwork about nine days after our wedding.  As far as the marriage cert, you will need to check locally on how that is done.  We went to our county courthouse, where the records are kept, and purchased several certified copies.  It was about 5-7 days after our marriage before the paperwork was received and recorded at the courthouse.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It is recommended to apply ASAP.  We sent our paperwork about nine days after our wedding.  As far as the marriage cert, you will need to check locally on how that is done.  We went to our county courthouse, where the records are kept, and purchased several certified copies.  It was about 5-7 days after our marriage before the paperwork was received and recorded at the courthouse.

Thanks! Is there a certain time limit that we have after getting married to apply for the adjustment of status?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, yellowbee12 said:

How long after marriage do we need to apply for adjustment of status? Also, what are the steps to getting a marriage certificate? 

Thank you! 

~Moved to Adjustment of Status Case Filing and Progress Reports~

There is only one proper way.. The K-1 is void upon entry. You are legally authorized to be in the US on the I-94 for the 90 days. During that time get married. Then as soon as you have all documents together you file for AOS, preferably before the end of the 90 days. While technically you could wait years and then file and still be fine, once the I-94 expires after the 90 days you are out of status and unlawfully present and can be arrested and deported, marriage doesn't prevent that. Follow these guides and you'll have no issues, we didn't. 

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos/

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1aos/

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
4 minutes ago, yellowbee12 said:

How long after marriage do we need to apply for adjustment of status?Refer to VJ Flowchart, https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow/ Also, what are the steps to getting a marriage certificate? Depends on your local and/or state government laws. Google search "county clerk/recorder."

Thank you! 

Welcome to the forum.

We are you in your visa process? Your timeline is vacant. :time:It helps folks that are trying to respond to your inquiries, by showing them exactly where your in the visa process.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Just now, yellowbee12 said:

Thanks! Is there a certain time limit that we have after getting married to apply for the adjustment of status?

Not really - it is a gray area.  BUT there have been recent posts here at VJ by people who delayed or did not file, and one in particular was actually put in jail for being out of status.  Technically, until that I-485 is filed, the immigrant is out of status.  Really recommend prioritizing it above anything else.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

ASAP

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Estonia
Timeline

Thank you all for your replies.

Will she need to have another medical exam done for the AOS

Also, can we start filling on the AOS form before we're married, in order to get the process going sooner?

Edited by yellowbee12

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, yellowbee12 said:

Thank you all for your replies.

Will she need to have another medical exam done for the AOS

Also, can we start filling on the AOS form before we're married, in order to get the process going sooner?

If the medical is still valid upon submission of the AOS packet, then you shouldn't, but if something is missing like a vaccination or such, you will have to have a civil surgeon finish it.

And you can start filling out the forms sure, but wouldn't date them until after the marriage itself. And obviously can't submit any of it without being married and have to show the marriage certificate.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

10 minutes ago, yellowbee12 said:

Will she need to have another medical exam done for the AOS?

Check her DS-3025 for completeness. If something is missing then an I-693 will be required. But don't delay filing for AOS because of a I-693. The I-693 can be done after sending in the AOS forms: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-4

42 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

one in particular was actually put in jail for being out of status.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

I also found the marriage license/certificate process rather confusing at first. The general procedure is that you first fill out an application for a marriage license at the county clerk office, or whichever government entity issues marriage licenses in your county.  You can sometimes apply online ahead of time and then pick it up at the office.  You both have  to go with your IDs to pick it up.  The clerk fills out the marriage license with all your info from your application and you pay the fee and they give you a copy of the license.  When you get married, you, your new spouse, the wedding officiant and a witness or two all sign the copy of the license that they gave you at the clerk's office.  Then you take (or mail) the signed license back to the clerk's office, and they record your marriage in their official record book.  Depending on the county and how they operate, you maybe able to obtain your marriage certificate five minutes after submitting your signed marriage license.  Some places make you wait a week or two to give them a chance to record the marriage properly.  But basically you fill out a request for a certified copy of their record of your marriage, also known as a marriage certificate.  It is a really good idea to get at least 4 or 5 certified marriage certificates as you need them for various steps throughout the immigration process.  

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I agree with ASAP also. I had all the paperwork ready to go the day before the wedding. Got married on Saturday, went to clerks office Monday, registered the marriage, got 3 certified copies 5 minutes later. Put one original with the I485, and some copies with the EAD AP forms. Put in priority mail envelope, and went to post office and mailed it 30 minutes after recording the marriage. The AOS is the one thing you really can't wait to file. Some people get lucky and do it years later with no issues, some people make it a week past the I94 expires and end up in jail waiting on deportation procedures to begin. Definitely sell blood, plazma, even a kidney if you need to to get that AOS package filed ASAP. It just isn't worth the risk of being out of status and not being able to work or anything.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, yellowbee12 said:

Is there a certain time limit that we have after getting married to apply for the adjustment of status?

Within 90 days of arrival in the US or risk being detained and deported.......I certainly wouldn't risk it.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

I know other members have posted assistance but it can't hurt for your to :guides: and there's one for fiance visa:

https://www.visajourney.com/k1-fiance-visa/

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

19 hours ago, radharose said:

I also found the marriage license/certificate process rather confusing at first

That’s why I always said: “Las Vegas!” You can get married in 2 seconds with Elvis 🕺 officiating! And they don’t care if you’re gay, straight, trans even better. You probably can marry a toaster if you want. 

Edited by USS_Voyager

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.