33 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ckaw41586 said:

That's not my reason at all. I love the woman. I guess the fear is that it's going to be harder for her to come back if she has to leave first. Maybe the info I've heard is incorrect?

This...

Please think with your head instead of your hart.. I don't know which country she is from but there are possibilities for her to have more visits. I am from a VWP country and I was able to visit my (now) husband throughout the whole process without any issues. Even if she would need a visitor's visa to come and see you (or you could maybe visit her?), this does not have to be a problem.

Please realize that when you bring a foreign fiancee or spouse to the US, you not only make a huge long term commitment (marriage) to a person, but also a huge long term financial commitment because you will be financially responsible for her by signing the paperwork (and in case you need a joint sponser to meet the income requirements, you also make somebody else responsible).

Just some advice.. I know the seperation seems unbearable to think about, this huge commitment needs some good planning and thinking...

I wish you all the best! ❤️

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is the urgency on your side or hers?  If she’s pushing for marriage, that should indicate a red flag to you if her intentions are genuine.  I’m not trying to be rude, but simply love is blind and not everyone has pure intentions, even if we want them to.  

I knew 3 dates in that I wanted to marry my husband.  We didn’t marry that soon, and spent more time getting to know each other and build trust.  Trust yourself, but also verify.  Maybe that means she leaves, maybe it doesn’t.  You ultimately make the decision, but please heed the advice above and evaluate the totality of the consequences.  There’s a chance, maybe slim, that she’s only in it for a gc.  None of us can know for sure - that, again, is your decision.  Just involve your brain in the decision in tandem with your heart.

In the grand scheme of things, being apart for a year won’t destroy a relationship if it’s genuine. 

OP please pay attention to all the people talking about exercising patience. I am an immigrant too and i also have experience with dating. Less than a year seems like a very short time to make a nearly lifelong financial commitment to someone. My spouse and I dated for 3 years before marrying and even went for pre marital counseling before taking the step.

There are a lot of posts floating around here where people divorce after green card approval and ask about how to deport their ex and they can't.

I am not questioning your love for each other, but you guys need to seriously think about consequences of a fast paced relationship. Even if your gf leaves and you do LDR for some time, you can apply for fiance visa at a later point. Yes it is more expensive than staying here, but IMHO, it is worth it. If you are really compatible than these things should not affect you. 

Also AFAIK, it does arouse suspicion if you marry soon after the visa expires.

Good luck. 

01/09/2019  Mailed ROC package via FEDEX to Lewisville,Texas

01/11/2019  Package delivered to USCIS office

01/16/2019  Received text message with service center as SRC

01/17/2019  Status on https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ as accepted. Check submitted electronically to my bank. Not cashed yet.

01/18/2019  Check cashed electronically. 

02/07/2019  Called USCIS regarding non delivery of receipt . They asked me to call back after 30 days have expired since delivery

02/11/2019  Called USCIS again regarding non delivery of receipt. Mentioned that license will expire along with greencard on 02/28.

The lady filed a request on my behalf so i could schedule infopass.

I separately also filed e-request(https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/displayNDNForm.do?entryPoint=init&sroPageType=ndn

by choosing I-751 and other option , before calling USCIS just in case.

02/13/2019 Got callback from USCIS that infopass cannot be scheduled,but they will mail

a duplicate notice.

11/08/2019 Biometrics got completed

03/24/2020 Case status got changed to card being produced

I might have to disagree with a lot of the posters, your main question on is it possible is YES, you have to fill out a few forms, but she will get an extention to stay in the US.   

While 3 months is not a long time, I know many couples on here have only met their partners once before they get K1 visas, or have only dated long distance, my parents (Both USC) married after 3 months of dating and are together 38 years later, while I have friends who dated for 8 years - got married and divorced within a year.   

Who is ANYONE to judge someone else's relationships?!  

Work together to find out what is best, do your research and know it is your life, do not let strangers dictate how to have a relationship.  

Met in a magical castle in Poland through our mutual love for Harry Potter. Now can not wait to spend our lives together!

Married: 08/08/2016 in Leavenworth, WA on the lovely Voldemort Day!

Accio Visa!!

USCIS Stage

I-130 Sent to Phoenix: 09/14/2016
I-130 NOA1: 2016-09-21
Transferred to Texas

I-130 NOA2: 2016-10-11

Sent to NVC: 2016-10-25

NVC Stage

*Delayed due to 2.5 week trip to Copenhagen to visit the hubby!*

NVC Received: 2016-11-01

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2016-11-10

IV Bill Received: 2016-11-01

DS-261/AOS Bill Received: 2016-11-15

AOS Bill Paid: 2016-11-28

IV Bill Paid: 2016-11-28

DS-261 Submitted: 2016-12-01

AOS Package Sent: 2016-12-05

AOS/Support Documents Scan Date: 2016-12-14

NVC Sent to Supervisor Review: 2017-01-26

NVC Sent to review Department: 2017-02-10

NVC Case Complete: 2017-03-06

Embassy Stage - Stockholm

Interview Scheduled: 2017-04-11

Entered the Country: 2017-06-20

ROC:

Package Delivered to PHX/Recieved Date: 2019-04-19

Creditcard Charged for Case: 2019-04-24

Text of Recieved date: 2019-04-25

Filed: Timeline
15 hours ago, ckaw41586 said:

She's currently in the Aupair program, and living with the family she's working for. She's here with me every chance she gets, but not fully living together yet. 

So she will be quitting her job and moving in with you immediately, right? 

16 hours ago, ckaw41586 said:

My girlfriend and I want to get married, but we have only been together for three months. Her visa is about to expire, so we can't wait if we are going to do it. Does that look bad that we're getting married after a short time and her visa is up? And what if she has to overstay while we wait for the interview?

I dont know her, maybe she is honest, but be carefull getting married that soon, many inmigrant use us citizen just to get legal status and then leave the usc.

Just read here many of stories about that.

Be carefull and sure she isnt with you for a green card.

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If she's an au pair, she's probably here on a J1 visa and these are sometimes issued with an obligation for the person to return home for a period of 2 years after completion of their au pair duties. Before you do anything else, check what obligations, if any, she has associated with her J1 visa.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

3 hours ago, databit said:

So she will be quitting her job and moving in with you immediately, right? 

That would be the plan upon her completion of the program

58 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

If she's an au pair, she's probably here on a J1 visa and these are sometimes issued with an obligation for the person to return home for a period of 2 years after completion of their au pair duties. Before you do anything else, check what obligations, if any, she has associated with her J1 visa.

It is a J1, and she's not required to the two year return. 

6 hours ago, BethyWink said:

I might have to disagree with a lot of the posters, your main question on is it possible is YES, you have to fill out a few forms, but she will get an extention to stay in the US.   

While 3 months is not a long time, I know many couples on here have only met their partners once before they get K1 visas, or have only dated long distance, my parents (Both USC) married after 3 months of dating and are together 38 years later, while I have friends who dated for 8 years - got married and divorced within a year.   

Who is ANYONE to judge someone else's relationships?!  

Work together to find out what is best, do your research and know it is your life, do not let strangers dictate how to have a relationship.  

USCIS judges someone else's relationships every day. They literally get paid to do it.

The OP needs to understand that there is going to be someone that they interview with, who's sole purpose is to determine if their relationship is real or not.

There are so many people here who get crushed on a weekly basis because they believed that their relationship was "real enough" because they "love each other so much", but had no idea how to appease the interviewers that judged them. The questions and concerns raised here by posters are no different than the thoughts going through the head of the interviewing officer.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

They don't care. Get married before her visa expires and file an adjustment of status before her visa expires. It's better to wait here while married than for her to go back and have to wait apart while married. It will take almost a yr to adjust her status so evidence will build. People have gotten married on less time than that. People meet on vacation for 2weeks call in love go back get engaged and file k1 and it's fine as long as the relationship is real you have nothing to worry about. 

12 minutes ago, Ash. said:

USCIS judges someone else's relationships every day. They literally get paid to do it.

The OP needs to understand that there is going to be someone that they interview with, who's sole purpose is to determine if their relationship is real or not.

There are so many people here who get crushed on a weekly basis because they believed that their relationship was "real enough" because they "love each other so much", but had no idea how to appease the interviewers that judged them. The questions and concerns raised here by posters are no different than the thoughts going through the head of the interviewing officer.

Also, I think if you post on the internet asking about whether other people think that your relationship is on the short side, maybe people might think it's on the short side? I mean, some might not, but 3 months (objectively speaking) is kind of not a long time.

4 minutes ago, Kerege said:

They don't care. Get married before her visa expires and file an adjustment of status before her visa expires. It's better to wait here while married than for her to go back and have to wait apart while married. It will take almost a yr to adjust her status so evidence will build. People have gotten married on less time than that. People meet on vacation for 2weeks call in love go back get engaged and file k1 and it's fine as long as the relationship is real you have nothing to worry about. 

Wow that's a lot of feedback from everyone haha. I do appreciate the different views, and will consider all of them, along with my own judgement. I do understand that whatever the decision, it's not an "easy" process. 

1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Also, I think if you post on the internet asking about whether other people think that your relationship is on the short side, maybe people might think it's on the short side? I mean, some might not, but 3 months (objectively speaking) is kind of not a long time.

My question want if people here thought it was a short time, I'm aware of that. I was hoping to get some feedback from people that have been in a similar situation

13 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Agree'd.

Just because it works for some people doesn't mean it works for everyone, and there is a general consensus to these things.

My sister got married to a guy she met on a one night stand, three months after meeting him. She wasn't even going to give him her phone number the next day. They've been married happily for 21 years and have two very intelligent children, with very successful futures ahead of them.

I married my first husband (USC) 6 months after meeting him and should have never married him in the first place, but people can be very inspiring when you talk about how love and never give up and yadda yadda. It can be blinding to those willing to do anything to be together. I didn't even set up my own wedding, my family and  friends did because "Don't worry it'll all be fine! Ya'll will be great together!". I was naive and believed that the feeling of love could change a lot of things.

So for my second and ideally last husband (non-USC), we agreed to date for a couple of years before marrying. We talked about marriage within a couple of months of dating but still waited, waiting didn't hurt our relationship, we knew we were going to get married, it just became a matter of when.

Would I want my daughter dating someone she only knew for a few months? Nah not at all.

Edited by Ash.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

8 minutes ago, ckaw41586 said:

Wow that's a lot of feedback from everyone haha. I do appreciate the different views, and will consider all of them, along with my own judgement. I do understand that whatever the decision, it's not an "easy" process. 

Personally, I would go ahead and keep dating and do the K-1. It'll give ya'll time to get to know each other more and prepare more for the paper proof side of things that exists in immigration.

There's no harm per se in marrying her and keeping her here to adjust status if you truly want too, but note that she won't be able to work for 6 months or so until she gets her EAD, she can't leave until she gets her AP (or she won't be let back in the country and you will have to do a spousal visa), it'll take a long time for her to actually get her green card, and you will need to make sure you meet the financial requirements (21,200$ per year).

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.