jasonf

I130 Class of admission B2 or WT? i94?

22 posts in this topic

I will try to keep this short. I moved to Canada to marry my now wife 5+ years ago.  We are now married with 2 kids and when traveling to the US for the Christmas holidays we have decided to stay in the United States and file for her green card.  She has been in the United States since mid December 2018.  When she entered the United States she was traveling on her Canada Passport.  It is my understanding we need to file a I-485 and a I-130.  In looking at the I-130 it is asking for class of admission and there are a ton of options to pick from although it is not immediately clear to me which is the correct answer.   I think it maybe a B2 or WT but am not sure. Or do we not fill this section out as it may be n/a?  Also how does the I-94 fit into all this?

Thanks,  

Jason

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You aren't supposed to file for adjustment of status after having entered on a B-2 or visa waiver as a tourist. While it is technically possible, and situations do change, what your spouses intentions were when she crossed the border will be very important if you go through with it. If she came with the intention to adjust status on B-2/visa waiver, she'll have to go back to Canada and apply for an IR-1 immigrant visa. What was said to the border agents is especially important as to what your intentions were if you do file for adjustment of status. 

I don't know too much about this, others who are more experienced will probably come to give better advice lol. 

9 minutes ago, prolixus said:

You aren't supposed to file for adjustment of status after having entered on a B-2 or visa waiver as a tourist. While it is technically possible, and situations do change, what your spouses intentions were when she crossed the border will be very important if you go through with it. If she came with the intention to adjust status on B-2/visa waiver, she'll have to go back to Canada and apply for an IR-1 immigrant visa. What was said to the border agents is especially important as to what your intentions were if you do file for adjustment of status. 

I don't know too much about this, others who are more experienced will probably come to give better advice lol. 

It doesn't matter how what her intentions were. She was allowed in the US and she can adjust status. 

(Unfair but it is what it is) 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
47 minutes ago, jasonf said:

I will try to keep this short. I moved to Canada to marry my now wife 5+ years ago.  We are now married with 2 kids and when traveling to the US for the Christmas holidays we have decided to stay in the United States and file for her green card.  She has been in the United States since mid December 2018.  When she entered the United States she was traveling on her Canada Passport.  It is my understanding we need to file a I-485 and a I-130.  In looking at the I-130 it is asking for class of admission and there are a ton of options to pick from although it is not immediately clear to me which is the correct answer.   I think it maybe a B2 or WT but am not sure. Or do we not fill this section out as it may be n/a?  Also how does the I-94 fit into all this?

Thanks,  

Jason

Must be difficult for an entire family to suddenly leave everything behind after entering the US for a short visit during the holidays......Must be very, very difficult.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, missileman said:

Must be difficult for an entire family to suddenly leave everything behind after entering the US for a short visit during the holidays......Must be very, very difficult.

"Spontaneous" decisions like that are very popular around here. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Roel said:

It doesn't matter how what her intentions were. She was allowed in the US and she can adjust status. 

(Unfair but it is what it is) 

Yeah that is true. Intent is determined at the border so if she's in the US currently then it would've been determined there was no immigrant intent at that time. Maybe this is given a little more scrutiny at the interview stage? No idea.. Sigh

Timeline
1 hour ago, jasonf said:

Thanks,  

Jason 

I would read this guide very, very carefully.  Please note that once the I-485 is filed, your spouse can NOT exit and re-enter the US or work for ~4-7 months.....She will also lose her Canadian health care, etc.......

https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2/

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

20 minutes ago, Roel said:

"Spontaneous" decisions like that are very popular around here. 

I will never understand how that works..

How do people do that with jobs, bills and kids in school? You just send an e-mail or call your boss/school/family to inform them you’re not coming back from your vacation or trip? How on earth does that work?! And this is a rethorical question 😊

When I was in The States last year and met with our lawyer and I was informed that I could just stay, marry and adjust status (which would be perfectly legal) I thought she was crazy! 

It always puzzles me when I read posts like that.. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Wow that is a lot of comments very quickly on my post and nobody has answered my question.  I found the i94 on the CBP website and was able to get the information I needed on my own.  I am surprised with what seems like a lot of knowledgeable people around here that nobody could offer me advice to check the CBP website for the I94 report to get this information.  

As far as all the other people commenting about my situation, I was not asking for opinions.  I would think this forum would work best if people are here trying to help each other out and not providing comments not related to people's questions.  

Thanks,

Jason 

10 minutes ago, jasonf said:

I found the i94 on the CBP website and was able to get the information I needed on my own.

Are you going to share the answer for others to learn from?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
12 minutes ago, jasonf said:

Wow that is a lot of comments very quickly on my post and nobody has answered my question.  I found the i94 on the CBP website and was able to get the information I needed on my own.  I am surprised with what seems like a lot of knowledgeable people around here that nobody could offer me advice to check the CBP website for the I94 report to get this information.  

As far as all the other people commenting about my situation, I was not asking for opinions.  I would think this forum would work best if people are here trying to help each other out and not providing comments not related to people's questions.  

Thanks,

Jason 

Everyone is free to add comments.  If you think a comment violates the terms of service, feel free to report the post.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, jasonf said:

I did post the anwser.  You need to go to the CBP website and search for the I94 using your passport number which will have all the information about the class of admission as well as length of stay allowed etc etc...  

To answer one of your questions  "How does the I-94 fit into all this"- Any person who stays beyond the expiration of their I-94 is subject to removal......unless given authorized stay.....

Intent alone is not a basis for denial of AOS.  That doesn't mean if somebody had fraudulent intent but got by CBP, that they didn't commit fraud. It just means it won't be held against them. 🤷‍♂️

That said, there's no way to know what was the case here.

Canada allows somebody to enter with immigrant intent so long as it is believed that they will exit if such application is denied. I wouldn't be surprised if a Canadian mistakenly thought that applied to the US as well.

Edit: The I-94 can be viewed here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Honestly I really do not see this ending well. Because to me this is clear visa fraud and anyone who actually looks at this will think so as well. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.