Roxy and Emmy

Do you need a certified copy of the fiancee's birth certificate to file for AOS?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hey everyone! My partner is from China and we are ready for AOS (K-1). Do we need to put in a certified copy of the birth certificate or will a regular copy be okay?

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Roxanne 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Roxy and Emmy said:

Hey everyone! My partner is from China and we are ready for AOS (K-1). Do we need to put in a certified copy of the birth certificate or will a regular copy be okay?

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Roxanne 

Per the directions.   All evidence submitted is legible photocopies unless an original or certified copy is SPECIFICALLY requested 

YMMV

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Roxy and Emmy said:

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Roxanne 

What @payxibkasaid and if the birth certificate is not in English it needs to be translated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

FYI we got RFE for not sending original translation. If you have BC from foreign country in Foreign Language, you need to send

1.COPY of BC from Foreign Country and 

2.ORIGINAL TRANSLATION DOCUMENT.

If BC is in English then a copy of it should be Okay

Edited by dhaubau86

1 hour ago, dhaubau86 said:

FYI we got RFE for not sending original translation. If you have BC from foreign country in Foreign Language, you need to send

1.COPY of BC from Foreign Country and 

2.ORIGINAL TRANSLATION DOCUMENT.

If BC is in English then a copy of it should be Okay

Not true.

I was approved with a simple copy of birth certificate and a simple copy of a translation I had made back in my country. Originals are kept safe with me

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
46 minutes ago, p-ana said:

Not true.

I was approved with a simple copy of birth certificate and a simple copy of a translation I had made back in my country. Originals are kept safe with me

Well Okay.. however you can't say "Not true". We got RFE and you can't change the fact that we got RFE cause of that. 

The RFE clearly states that "If the BC is in other language than English, you must submit of COPY of Original BC and Translated Certificate".  

Not that by sending Copies One will get RFE, but there is a higher chances to get one and why should one do that??

Timeline
2 minutes ago, dhaubau86 said:

Well Okay.. however you can't say "Not true". We got RFE and you can't change the fact that we got RFE cause of that. 

The RFE clearly states that "If the BC is in other language than English, you must submit of COPY of Original BC and Translated Certificate".  

Not that by sending Copies One will get RFE, but there is a higher chances to get one and why should one do that??

Yes copies of both 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The translation doesn't have to be paid of. Self translated "original" seems to be perfectly fine. You do need to submit translation for the BC if it is not in English. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS Family K1/K3, from K1 Progress Reports - As this is now a AOS process~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You will most likely need the white book Notarial Certificate of Birth, or 出生公证书, or chu sheng gong zheng shu, unless your partner has one of the newer Medical Certificate of Birth - 出生医学证明  (chu sheng yixue zheng ming).

Birth certificates were not issued in China prior to 1996.

A Medical Certificate of Birth looks like this

gallery_1846_733_1101156.jpg

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Timeline

Agree with Randy, unless you are in the "new group" as he describes, you will likely have to provide a copy of all pages of your partner's Notarial Certificate "White Book" - Birth Certificate . Go to the China Regional Forum  for a thorough explanation of this document, and other Notarial Certificates. it is basically an abstraction taken from his family's hukou. This is an ancient system of family registration that is slowly changing.

Your partner should have had several copies of their "White Book" - Birth Certificate prepared while he was in China. We provided a copy of all pages of my wife's and stepson's "White Book" - Birth Certificate with the rest of their AOS documentation. We took an original with us for the AOS interview, should the need for comparison have arisen.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

After reviewing page 9 of the Form I-485 instructions:

1. Birth Certificate

All Form I-485 applicants, except refugees and asylees, must submit a photocopy of their birth certificate issued bythe appropriate civil authority from the country of birth. Although refugees and asylees are not required to submit aphotocopy of their birth certificate, if the birth certificate is available, refugees and asylees should submit a copy of the birth certificate. USCIS will only accept a long-form birth certificate which lists at least one parent.

If your birth certificate is unavailable or does not exist, you must prove its unavailability or nonexistence and provideacceptable alternative evidence of birth. (Refugees and asylees do not need to prove unavailability or nonexistence
    of their birth certificate.) You can look up your country of birth on the following website, travel.state.gov/content/ visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country.html, to see if birth certificates are known to be unavailable or nonexistentin that country.

REF: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Just follow the instructions.....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
23 hours ago, Shiran said:

The translation doesn't have to be paid of. Self translated "original" seems to be perfectly fine. You do need to submit translation for the BC if it is not in English. 

I've read on the other forum that a person got in trouble (=RFE) for sending a self-translated document (since there is a potential for a conflict of interest). Are you sure self-translated documents are okay or it stays up to IO? 

Science is not a liberal conspiracy.

Our immigration journey 

Spoiler

01/02/2018 Started dating 

01/21/2019 Got engaged

04/08/2019 Got married

06/17/2019 AOS package sent

06/19/2019 Package delivered

06/24/2019 Card charged 

06/25/2019 Text notifications (no email!)

07/03/2019 Received NOA1 for I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 (dated 06/25/2019)

07/20/2019 Received biometrics appointment letter (dated 07/12/2019)

07/31/2019 Biometrics

09/03/2019 Received interview notice

10/10/2019 Interview

10/11/2019 Case approved! :star:

10/16/2019 "Card was mailed" case status update

10/17/2019 Received tracking number for the green card in mail

10/18/2019 Green card in hand! 

Spoiler

07/18/2021 ROC package sent (UPS)

07/22/2021 Package delivered

07/23/2021 Card charged

07/24/2021 Text notification - case received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Rosalind F said:

I've read on the other forum that a person got in trouble (=RFE) for sending a self-translated document (since there is a potential for a conflict of interest). Are you sure self-translated documents are okay or it stays up to IO? 

I can tell you that we did self translated/self certified copy, and case right now read "Ready for Interview" 

This is what we used as a guide and certification template: 

https://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/154965.htm

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Rosalind F said:

Your point may be moot, as that the beneficiary, mentioned in the initial posting, will likely need to provide a copy of their Chinese "White Book" Notarial Certificate Birth Certificate. It is a bound booklet four pages in length.  The actual Chinese abstraction page from the family book (hukou) and Chinese certification page of the document are each followed by an English language translation page, all signed and sealed by a Chinese Notary Public. The US Consulate in Guangzhou, China and USCIS understand their purpose and accept them for Chinese birth certificate use.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya
clarification

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.