Becca & Matt

Sponsor’s Place of Work Refuses to Write a Letter

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!  I’ve never posted in the forums here before, so I’m not sure if this is the right place, but my fiancée (sponsor) and I have run into an issue.

We have received our NOA2 and have started collecting the required documents for the next step.  We’re currently working on getting a letter from her place of work, and they’re being difficult. 

Her head of HR and her boss both outright refuse to write the letter for her about how long she’s worked there, etc, and instead keep telling her that an “Employment Verification” company report is good enough.  My fiancée called the company that does the report and they told her that their reports are NOT viable for USCIS or immigration because the company isn’t registered for that, and that my fiancée has to get the letter from the company. 

Back to square one.

She’s getting extremely frustrated with her work, and honestly so am I.  

We’re just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do at this point?

Thank you so much!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Becca & Matt said:

Hi!  I’ve never posted in the forums here before, so I’m not sure if this is the right place, but my fiancée (sponsor) and I have run into an issue.

We have received our NOA2 and have started collecting the required documents for the next step.  We’re currently working on getting a letter from her place of work, and they’re being difficult. 

Her head of HR and her boss both outright refuse to write the letter for her about how long she’s worked there, etc, and instead keep telling her that an “Employment Verification” company report is good enough.  My fiancée called the company that does the report and they told her that their reports are NOT viable for USCIS or immigration because the company isn’t registered for that, and that my fiancée has to get the letter from the company. 

Back to square one.

She’s getting extremely frustrated with her work, and honestly so am I.  

We’re just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do at this point?

Thank you so much!

I understand your frustration but I also believe that for the affidavit of support it isn't something that crucial. Ask them for a W-2 and ask IRS for a full transcript and you should be in the clear.

Can she ask her boss to write something instead with the boss' signature and contact's info?  If she has been on W-2 for awhile, I do not think it will be vital to obtain employment letter. 

I did not bother to ask this type of letter as I have been working for my company for very long and my current/past incomes cover the requirement. When my wife did her interview end of April (I was with her), they did not ask for 2018 Tax or any financial related docs.

Edited by nguoivietnam2019

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would say if it is absolutely unobtainable, then yea forget about it. If she's been working at the company for several years, just show tax transcripts/W2's, that would show obviously been working there for some time.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
1 minute ago, nguoivietnam2019 said:

Can she ask her boss to write something instead with the boss' signature and contact's info?  If she has been on W-2 for awhile, I do not think it will be vital to obtain employment letter. 

I did not bother to ask this type of letter as I have been working for my company for very long and my current/past incomes cover the requirement. When my wife did her interview end of April (I was with her), they did not ask for 2018 Tax or any financial related docs.

Same for me. On the embassy letter, they just asked for the affidavit of support and most recent tax transcript.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Immigration  wants the IRS tax transcripts and W2 and the letter is not needed

but strange they won do this as this is often asked for when renting or going for a mortgage loan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Becca & Matt said:

I had the same issue when I asked for mine.  I was directed to the employment verification service but I told them that would not suffice and sent them a prewritten letter (from the samples).  They were reluctant at first but after it had pretty much been done for them (all they had to do was sign) then they completed it for me.  I always make it as easy as possible for the HR department because they usually give me a hard time about doing anything 🙄

If the employer is refusing to write a simple letter of employment validation, then forget them. Ensure you have accurate W2, previous years' tax returns and take pay stubs from the first paycheck that was issued to present day.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

All I ever used is 3 self printed tax transcripts from IRS website, no W-2, no bank letters, no letters from the company. I-134 requirement is not so much from USCIS as from consulate. See what their requirements are.

I didn't even try to get such a letter.  I have been in the same job for 14 years, and for income eligibility we submitted my IRS tax transcripts along with some payslips.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh goodness, that font size, I'm so sorry.  I was on my iPhone and didn't realize it had done that. 😬

Thank you all very, very much for your help!  

At this point we're feeling a little less worried.  She's been working there for YEARS, so she's still a little miffed at their attitude towards the whole ordeal.

For reference, the only reason we were looking into this was from this list we're looking at: "What to send to your fiance once the I-129F is approved (Receive NOA2):"

Specifically this section:

5. [...] 

(B) Statement(s) from your employer on business stationary showing: 1. Date and nature of employment; 2. salary paid; 3. whether position is temporary or permanent (also include copies of your last two pay stubs and your previous W-2 for the associated employer if available) 

Once again, thank you!

A lot of companies won't provide anything directly to the employees to avoid perceived liability issues....It can make things very difficult. Almost all consulates only require tax transcripts or 1040s and W-2s for K-1s. You should be good)

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

We never ended up getting an employment letter! Just pay stubs, taxes and affidavit of support. And then we totally fine with just that! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.