A&D25612

How long is the K1 Visa valid for?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, Greenbaum said:

Incorrect!!!

The visa can have a different date then both the issue date and the medical exam. Some countries create a date for expiration based on local situations such as a long TB treatment. I saw one couple from the Philippines who underwent DOT and was issued their visa and it had an expiration date of 2 months.

So it depends. BUT, I must add, for most cases it's based on the medical exam as you have stated. This is the normal time limit visa expirations. :thumbs:

Ahh. Yep, the whole 'differs case to case' seems to be the reoccurring theme in this whole process. I'll obviously ask and check info once I'm at this point. I was just curious and figured I'd ask on here

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Incorrect!!!

The visa can have a different date then both the issue date and the medical exam. Some countries create a date for expiration based on local situations such as a long TB treatment. I saw one couple from the Philippines who underwent DOT and was issued their visa and it had an expiration date of 2 months.

So it depends. BUT, I must add, for most cases it's based on the medical exam as you have stated. This is the normal time limit visa expirations. :thumbs:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/after-the-interview.html

You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa. An immigrant visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months.

Gotcha! Thank youuu!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

Incorrect.

From your link,

When You Should Travel - You must arrive and apply for admission in the United States no later than the visa expiration date printed on your visa. An immigrant visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months.

If your medical was the same day as your interview (in some embassies, it is allowed) your visa will be valid six months. If it was done before, your visa will be printed with an expiration matching 6 months from your medical date.

Correct on one point .. if the medical was done on the same day the visa date will be the same as the medical date .. hence the same validity..  but this is not the same as “the visa date being adjusted to reflect the medical date “ 

Very few people  have their medical on the same day as their interview 

The visa day is not always  adjusted to reflect the medical date .....  but the information on the website is correct ... always check 

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: Other Timeline
Just now, Lil bear said:

Correct on one point .. if the medical was done on the same day the visa date will be the same as the medical date .. hence the same validity..  but this is not the same as “the visa date being adjusted to reflect the medical date “ 

Very few people  have their medical on the same day as their interview 

The visa day is not adjusted to reflect the medical date 

You are misquoting me. I never said adjusted.

It is issued with an expiry date based on your medical, not your interview nor when it was printed.

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days & AOS w/EAD and AP: 180 days

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

08/20/21: Filed ROC

08/23/21: USCIS received package

08/25/21: Text received/Case # assigned

08/26/22: Case transferred to NBC for "speedy processing"

Citizenship:

08/22/22: Filed N-400 online

08/22/22: NOA1/Biometrics Reused                                                                                                           

To give an example:

My fiance had his medical 3/11/19

His interview was 4/5/19

His visa expires 9/10/19 (6 months from the day medical was done)

Spoiler

K1 Fiance Visa: 207 days                                                                                                                               AOS from K1 w/EAD and AP: 180 days

09/12/18: NOA1 old site (9/17 new site)                                                                                                     05/22/19: AOS package mailed to Chicago, IL

01/28/19: NOA2 new site (old site never changed)                                                                                   05/24/19: USCIS Received date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/19/19: NVC Received                                                                                                                                05/29/19: Notice date for AOS/EAD/AP

02/20/19: Case Number Assigned                                                                                                               06/19/19: Biometrics Appointment

04/05/19: Interview - APPROVED!                                                                                                                06/14/19: Biometrics Completed - walk in

04/08/19: CEAC-NIV Application Received                                                                                                 08/06/19: Ready to be Scheduled for Interview Status

04/09/19: CEAC-NIV Administrative Processing                                                                                       10/11/19: Interview Scheduled status

04/10/19: CEAC- Issued                                                                                                                                 11/05/19: EAD/AP approved

04/12/19: Visa in hand                                                                                                                                   11/16/19: EAD/AP card Received

04/30-5/1/19: POE via IAH - Houston, TX                                                                                                   11/18/19: AOS Interview - APPROVED! same day status change to Approved, then New Card being Produced

05/10/19: I Do's!                                                                                                                                               11/25/19: Green Card in Hand

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

To give an example:

My fiance had his medical 3/11/19

His interview was 4/5/19

His visa expires 9/10/19 (6 months from the day medical was done)

My medical was July 17 2016

my interview was August 16 2016

My visa expiry date was February 16  2017 

2 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

That's interesting! Maybe they have changed things since then.

Spoiler

ROC:                                                                                                                                                                  

Citizenship:

20 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

16 minutes ago, celie&joseph said:

That's interesting! Maybe they have changed things since then.

So what we have learned from this is there is no hard and fast rule. Even the embassies do not follow the "rule" as outlined from Lil bear's link. We can give the OP a general answer which probably holds true in most cases and that most are tied to the medical exam WITH EXECEPTIONS.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

So what we have learned from this is there is no hard and fast rule. Even the embassies do not follow the "rule" as outlined from Lil bear's link. We can give the OP a general answer which probably holds true in most cases and that most are tied to the medical exam WITH EXECEPTIONS.

Yep. Thx. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Tara & Rohit said:

Visa is good for 6 months once issued. Once you arrive in the US your 90 day count down will start!

It's not good for 6 months from being issued.

It's good for 6 months after the medical was completed.

Timeline
Just now, Cathi said:

That’s what I assumed from the DOS site .. but take a read through the preceding posts.. there seem to be local and regional differences that don’t follow even the DOS guidelines 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

For a person interviewing in London (the OP asking the question), the medical date dictates the expiration date printed on the visa. Typically in an average, no hiccup, London K1 process-- the interview follows the medical by 2 weeks (recommended) and the visa is issued within the week following the interview. The visa will expire six months from the medical date. If the OP feels like more time is needed (like finish school, or attend a friend's wedding) she can pick a medical date and interview date further out so as to fit her plans. London allows up to one year of "stalling" after petition approval. If the interview happens four months after the petition approval, they ask for a new letter of intent to marry from the American fiancé. It is turned in at the interview. There are no issues/questions with going past four months before interview.  

Great info. Thank you !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Cathi said:

Honestly, for almost everyone, this is much ado about nothing. How many people have their medical more than a couple weeks before their interview, and also try to put off coming to the US until the last possible week or two?

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
1 minute ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Honestly, for almost everyone, this is much ado about nothing. How many people have their medical more than a couple weeks before their interview, and also try to put off coming to the US until the last possible week or two?

Not many I imagine .. but for those few who find themselves needing to do this for some reason, I would think it could almost be the last straw in what has been a challenging process. Needing to delay because if family health issues for example can be very distressing. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.