Jump to content
Annikena

SSN - can I apply right when I get to U.S?

45 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!


I know this has been asked a million times, but I still cant seem to understand - since many are saying different things. I just got my visa approved and received it this week. Yaay! I will be moving to Los Angeles in June, and was wondering if I can go straight away to apply for SSN, like the day after I arrive? Some people say that is ok, others say you have to wait two weeks. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences regarding this. Thank you all! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not have to wait 2 weeks........I would go a couple days after arriving.


                               :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Annikena said:

Hi everyone!


I know this has been asked a million times, but I still cant seem to understand - since many are saying different things. I just got my visa approved and received it this week. Yaay! I will be moving to Los Angeles in June, and was wondering if I can go straight away to apply for SSN, like the day after I arrive? Some people say that is ok, others say you have to wait two weeks. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences regarding this. Thank you all! :)

You'll need your valid i94,usually you can get it updated 1 week after you arrive in the USA. Not sure if you'll get married soon or not,if you'd change your name after the wedding ,then you need to wait till you've gotten the Marriage record .It's convenient to go on the website of your local social security office ,fill out the form, print it out ,bring it with your valid i94 , passport ,marriage certificate then it'll be done soon.Your social security number card will be mailed to you in 2 to 4 weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

What is a couple of days in your immigration journey?  Take some time to unpack, meet your neighbors (get their phone numbers!), have a special dinner, take a bubble bath, go to the zoo, ...  The SSN will get done soon enough.

Either answer the question I asked or dont say anything at all. Im pretty sure I will be able to do more than one thing in a day ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jenna Ting said:

You'll need your valid i94,usually you can get it updated 1 week after you arrive in the USA. Not sure if you'll get married soon or not,if you'd change your name after the wedding ,then you need to wait till you've gotten the Marriage record .It's convenient to go on the website of your local social security office ,fill out the form, print it out ,bring it with your valid i94 , passport ,marriage certificate then it'll be done soon.Your social security number card will be mailed to you in 2 to 4 weeks. 

I would not wait to apply for ssn with a name other than the name the uscis has.  Far to many people have had issues. 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jenna Ting said:

You'll need your valid i94,usually you can get it updated 1 week after you arrive in the USA. Not sure if you'll get married soon or not,if you'd change your name after the wedding ,then you need to wait till you've gotten the Marriage record .It's convenient to go on the website of your local social security office ,fill out the form, print it out ,bring it with your valid i94 , passport ,marriage certificate then it'll be done soon.Your social security number card will be mailed to you in 2 to 4 weeks. 

Ok, thank you so much for your reply :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, CEE53147 said:

What is a couple of days in your immigration journey?  Take some time to unpack, meet your neighbors (get their phone numbers!), have a special dinner, take a bubble bath, go to the zoo, ...  The SSN will get done soon enough.

 

32 minutes ago, Annikena said:

Either answer the question I asked or dont say anything at all. Im pretty sure I will be able to do more than one thing in a day ;)

 

You did not ask a question regarding what I am writing about next. The members response to you is probably with the following spirit I can relate to after going through the K-visa process.

 

With a K-visa, yes you can get Social Security card relatively quickly, however,  since you are probably a very active person, you are probably not going to like the following aspects of the K-visa path. 

 

You won't be able to get a State ID/Driver's License and/or work legally until 3-4 months after your I-485 gets filed with work document requested, which is filed after you get married. 

 

I went through this very difficult time and it really can test one's patience when I have been driving all of my adult life.  Imagine ... you want to plan for a wedding and you can't drive legally.  So I used Uber/Lyft a lot and did a lot of things like a tourist and took English classes ... free ones for immigrants at a local college and met a lot of friends that way.

 

Congratulations on your visa and hang in there with the K-visa difficulties to having a normal life until after you get your work document.

Edited by Juniper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Annikena said:

Either answer the question I asked or dont say anything at all. 

Be careful not to violate the site TOS


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Juniper said:

 

 

You did not ask a question regarding what I am writing about next. The members response to you is probably with the following spirit I can relate to after going through the K-visa process.

 

With a K-visa, yes you can get Social Security card relatively quickly, however,  since you are probably a very active person, you are probably not going to like the following aspects of the K-visa path. 

 

You won't be able to get a State ID/Driver's License and/or work legally until 3-4 months after your I-485 gets filed with work document requested, which is filed after you get married. 

 

I went through this very difficult time and it really can test one's patience when I have been driving all of my adult life.  Imagine ... you want to plan for a wedding and you can't drive legally.  So I used Uber/Lyft a lot and did a lot of things like a tourist and took English classes ... free ones for immigrants at a local college and met a lot of friends that way.

 

Congratulations on your visa and hang in there with the K-visa difficulties to having a normal life until after you get your work document.

I am well aware of all of this. I wrote this post asking about SSN. Thank you for taking the time to write tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Be careful not to violate the site TOS

Pretty sure I am allowed to tell you to post comments that are related to what I am asking, not give me condescending "advice". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Annikena said:

Pretty sure I am allowed to tell you to post comments that are related to what I am asking, not give me condescending "advice". 

Read the TOS and report back with your findings.   You will be enlightened 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me clarify:  I would certainly get a SSN as soon as possible... Opening a bank account, renting an apartment, and other things are much easier........and there is no reason to wait the full 2 weeks as indicated in the VJ guide.  Back, before electronic I-94s, etc., it was better to wait....but not now... 


                               :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, payxibka said:

Read the TOS and report back with your findings.   You will be enlightened 

Not here to argue with you. Literally just wanted advice about SSN. If you have anything to say about that, then I would be happy about, if not; then lets move on.  I am sure we both have better things to do ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, missileman said:

Let me clarify:  I would certainly get a SSN as soon as possible... Opening a bank account, renting an apartment, and other things are much easier........and there is no reason to wait the full 2 weeks as indicated in the VJ guide.  Back, before electronic I-94s, etc., it was better to wait....but not now... 

Thank you! I appreciate it :) So as soon as the I-94 is available I can just go and apply for the SSN? Do you know when it is available?

Edited by Annikena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×