cspence10

Marrying Fiance while K1 visa is processing

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

Then why were you concern with "How would the US Government know?"  If you were going to be completely honest and disclose everything, you shouldn't be concern with how would they know because you would tell them about the marriage in Mexico.  

LOL.  Indeed.  

Because the K1 is already submitted. And if I did not absolutely have to, why would I cancel the request and start all over after 5 months?

In my head ->

Married in Mexico 8/14

Visa gets approved whatever day

Married in the U.S.

Submit for AOS

No where was I trying to skip steps, what would even be the point of me trying to get married and hide it? That would literally just take longer. 

My reason for wanting to be married in August has everything to do with religion, and the way dates line up, and nothing to do with the US government or the visa process. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 minutes ago, cspence10 said:

Yeah well thanks for jumping to conclusions. Not sure why you would assume someone just wants to break the law instead of the fact I just want to be married to my girl anyway I can, as soon as possible.

Why were you concern with "how would the US Government know?"  Be real.  

Timeline
Just now, cspence10 said:

Because the K1 is already submitted. And if I did not absolutely have to, why would I cancel the request and start all over after 5 months?

In my head ->

Married in Mexico 8/14

Married in the U.S.

Submit for AOS

No where was I trying to skip steps, what would even be the point of me trying to get married and hide it? That would literally just take longer. 

My reason for wanting to be married in August has everything to do with religion, and the way dates line up, and nothing to do with the US government or the visa process. 

And if that was the case, I would just get married ASAP. But I asked specifically for August. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

If you get married, then your wife no longers qualifies for a K-1 fiance visa.  

There is no possible way for you to marry in Mexico in August and use the K-1 visa.  First, it would be visa fraud if she marries in Mexico and then uses the K-1 visa.  Second, it would be a gigantic mistake to use the K-1 visa and then return to Mexico in August.  The timeframe would not work out for her to get AP.

We're sure.  We're sure you would be committing visa fraud.  Good luck when your inability to appreciate the law bites you in the behind.  You know it's fraud to hide your marriage to the US Government when using a K-1 visa.  Seems like you were hoping for some assurance that the US Government wouldn't find out.

I think you need to decide how important it is to marry in Mexico in August versus being together in the US.  I think you need to decide if committing immigration fraud is worth looking over your shoulders for the rest of your lives knowing that even US citizenship can be stripped if there is immigration fraud.  

Quoting Clint Eastwood in my head.

Lol this reply literally blows my mind

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 minutes ago, cspence10 said:

And if that was the case, I would just get married ASAP. But I asked specifically for August. 

Oh brother.  

Marrying in August in Mexico means something to you.  You specifically mentioned that it was of significance.

So marrying now is not the same as marrying in August.

You want your cake and eat it too.  You want to marry in August in Mexico.  You know that if you do, she is no longer eligible to use the K-1 visa.  You want your cake of marrying in August in Mexico without having to file for a CR-1 and starting a new waiting time.  This is why you wanted to know how the US government would know about your marriage in Mexico.  How could you get away with hiding it so you can get the benefit of using the K-1.

Best of luck.  Rationalize all you want.  If you're wondering how the authority would know you did something, then you know you shouldn't be doing it.  Whether it's the US Government or your parents.  How would mom and dad know we did a bad thing?  Remember playing that game?

Timeline
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

Oh brother.  

Marrying in August in Mexico means something to you.  You specifically mentioned that it was of significance.

So marrying now is not the same as marrying in August.

You want your cake and eat it too.  You want to marry in August in Mexico.  You know that if you do, she is no longer eligible to use the K-1 visa.  You want your cake of marrying in August in Mexico without having to file for a CR-1 and starting a new waiting time.  This is why you wanted to know how the US government would know about your marriage in Mexico.  How could you get away with hiding it so you can get the benefit of using the K-1.

Best of luck.  Rationalize all you want.  If you're wondering how the authority would know you did something, then you know you shouldn't be doing it.  Whether it's the US Government or your parents.  How would mom and dad know we did a bad thing?  Remember playing that game?

Lol yup. You figured me out. 

I would get married here August if the US govt would do anything productive and the visa finished in time.

But obviously, thanks to your extremely kind replies, I see it would be an issue, and I would not do it. 

I guess thats why we ask questions right? 😃 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, cspence10 said:

In my head ->

Married in Mexico 8/14

Married in the U.S.

Submit for AOS

I don't see anyone stating that you are planning to skip the step. What others try to highlight is, we know you are planning to get married in both country (Mexico and US), then submit for AOS. However, the order of the married is very important. If you decided to married in Mexico first, after that US, you need to apply for Spouse visa instead of K-1 Visa. If you continue with the K-1 Visa (even after you married her at Mexico, by assuming that US will never know about the marriage that already happen at Mexico) it is consider visa fraud. 

No one will jump into conclusion if you never stated the sentence "I assume U.S would never know". Once you stating that, it is clearly stating that you are considering to go through K-1 Visa even after officially married at Mexico. 

I totally understand you want to get married in August because it is something to do with the religion. However, you need to understand the difference between K-1 Visa and Spouse visa. Everyone want to marry the love of their life as soon as they can. But, they are doing it in right way. 

For me, I rather being with the love of my life as soon as I can (that is the reason why I being patient and go through K-1 Visa process). 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, cspence10 said:

I would get married here August if the US govt would do anything productive and the visa finished in time.

There are hundreds of thousands of people in the queue ahead of you......every petition must be scrutinized with human eyes.....it takes time..

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
54 minutes ago, cspence10 said:

Hello all. 

I was wondering. My fiancee and I have a k1 visa in that we submitted 3/4 and we got NOA1 3/7 or 9 or something like that. I am wondering, if we get married in her home country (mexico) would we have to resubmit all of the paperwork? We want to get married in August, for some religious reasons and it would be our anniversary, and the K1 visa will likely not be done by then but it will be close I am sure. My question is, if we get married in Mexico, would we need to cancel this visa and submit a different one? I would imagine no because the U.S. would never know that we were married in Mexico I dont think, and we could still get married in the states. But im not sure. So what do you all think?

Thanks

Cedric

You can marry in either country but not in both.

The first ceremony will be your date of marraige, no matter where the ceremony is conducted.  

If you marry in Mexico and then apply for a marraige licence in a US state /county, you will be required to swear on oath that you are free to marry. But you are already married, so you either lie or are ineligible for a marraige licence here.

If you marry anywhere before the K1 visa is granted and used to enter the US, you must refile for a CR1 spouse visa and wait the 12 to 15 months processing time.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If August means so much to you could you not do something like a pre marriage blessing or would that not have the same meaning... Then obviously proceed as normal with the K1 visa and get married at a later date 

Obviously as stated above you have to follow the correct procedure for either the K1 visa or C1. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
58 minutes ago, cspence10 said:

Yeah well thanks for jumping to conclusions. Not sure why you would assume someone just wants to break the law instead of the fact I just want to be married to my girl anyway I can, as soon as possible.

Seems you already made up your mind even before coming to this site. Why bother coming here then? In your not-so smart but slick way, you were hoping to get answers to your true intensions HOPING someone would say 'Hey dont worry bro its impossible they can find out' so you dont have such a guilty conscience of committing fraud, but you came here out of fear right? Otherwise you wouldnt have come here...you woulda just done it and shut up. Listen to what others are telling you. If not GO ahead marry her and cheers to hoping they rip you out of your comfy seat on AeroMexico. #VIVALADRAUDE! 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

@cspence10

You asked the question how would the US government know. Immigration will do background checks prior to issuing the K1 process. It is why the process takes so long.

But even if you marry in Mx and are able to come to the US on a K1, here is a literal fact you should be aware of. The US government can revoke your permanent resident ad citizenship if they find out you obtained these fraudulently. Even if it is 10 years from now and your fiance has already become a citizen. If immigration becomes aware at anytime in the future, her citizenship could be revoked. 

There is not statute of limitations for immigration fraud.

You can get married in both countries. You can do it in the US first on the K1 then Mexico afterwards. Or you can get married first in Mexico then the USA afterwards on a spousal visa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, cspence10 said:

So when you fill out DS 160 for the K-1 interview, you will be answering the questions again, such as your marital status, have you been married before etc. If get married in august and say “no”, you’re committing a fraud. If you say “yes”, automatically denied. It’s this simple 

Have you ever thought about moving to Mexico?  You appear to be so angry at the United States.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.