Chicago resident

I am house wife do not work so no joint account no joint utility bills no joint property deed

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Having a sole account to share finances is not the norm anymore.  My husband and I have one shared checking and one shared savings.  Separately we have our own checking accounts as well.  In our marriage, I handle about 95% of our finances bc I’m naturally better at it, and that’s what works for us.  We only included our joint account information in RoC, even though it’s missing some responsibilities that come out of separate accounts.  I think the purpose here is to show shared resources that are in regular use.  I don’t believe that the officer will go line by line and judge what we pay for.  Immigration is invasive, but I don’t know if it would be that invasive. 

My concern was she made it seem like she had no access to funds, period.  That is not normal in a marriage.  

5 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

Honestly I've yet to meet a couple that has had ONLY separate accounts. At the minimum, there's a joint account involved for shared resources per se, not necessarily for just bills but things for they may do together or as a family, and then separate accounts for their own money that they earn at their own respective jobs.

It's not the norm in the people I know, but I do know a few couples who do this fine. That said, they 1) aren't involved with immigration, and 2) they've accrued plenty of other evidence of financial commingling naturally - shared bills, beneficiaries on policies and plans, medical advocacy, etc. There's no good reason to have no or very little evidence (barring unusual cases like abuse where a spouse prevents them from having or accessing any such evidence).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Are you at least on your husbands health insurance? Do you have any mail addresed to you coming to your house? I cant believe you wouldn't be on the lease at least. Power of attorney? Are you in your husbands Will? Shared phone bill? Damn girl say that you at least have a phone! 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

37 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Why isn't OP responding to questions so folks can help more.

Not everyone posts and then waits around for answers. If she has kids, she may not get on until later when they’re napping or it’s the like calmer time where she can get on the computer and read the replies.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

Not everyone posts and then waits around for answers. If she has kids, she may not get on until later when they’re napping or it’s the like calmer time where she can get on the computer and read the replies.

I know that; thanks. sometimes; I post and come back later too. But some answers are better based on feedback from OP. She posted 18 hours ago though.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

I know that; thanks. sometimes; I post and come back later too. But some answers are better based on feedback from OP. She posted 18 hours ago though.

Agreed!  She made a statement about what she didn’t have, but nothing about what she actually submitted so that anyone could weigh in on whether it was enough, or what she should do to prepare for an RFE

Naturally a pessimist, I am operating on the thought that there’s no financial co mingling at all, which is worrisome, not just for immigration purposes either. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I’m a housewife too I stay home with kids. Plenty of things will work for me. First, for those asking about access to funds, OP doesn’t need her name on the account. I have my husband’s debit card (he doesn’t grocery shop or really need access to the card a lot but in case he does he’ll use his business card and then just transfer the funds back over using his mobile app). Also some people use Apple Pay a lot now. So my name is not yet on the account that I use everyday (I know he needs to add me we need to get on that), but I have the pin and am the one using it. So nothing the OP has said means she has no access to funds. My husband also hands me cash a lot of the time too. 

Do you have a driver’s license with your address on it? Scan both your DL’s showing the same address. Health insurance policy with both your names on it? Auto insurance with both names on it? Find out which of your utility bills you can be added on. There are so many ways to do this and you should start yesterday. 

Edited by Mrsjackson

43 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

I’m a housewife too I stay home with kids. Plenty of things will work for me. First, for those asking about access to funds, OP doesn’t need her name on the account. I have my husband’s debit card (he doesn’t grocery shop or really need access to the card a lot but in case he does he’ll use his business card and then just transfer the funds back over using his mobile app). Also some people use Apple Pay a lot now. So my name is not yet on the account that I use everyday (I know he needs to add me we need to get on that), but I have the pin and am the one using it. So nothing the OP has said means she has no access to funds. My husband also hands me cash a lot of the time too. 

Do you have a driver’s license with your address on it? Scan both your DL’s showing the same address. Health insurance policy with both your names on it? Auto insurance with both names on it? Find out which of your utility bills you can be added on. There are so many ways to do this and you should start yesterday. 

My wife is a house wife as well. But her name is still on the joint checking account, on my credit card as a authorized user. 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Mrsjackson said:

That’s all fine and well, but do know if you’re not on the accounts, and god forbid, your spouse was to unexpectedly pass away, you wouldn’t legally be able to access the account, even with a PoA, as that is only valid while someone is alive, so without your name being on financial accounts, you’d be up the creek without a paddle.  It has nothing to do with occupation either. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

That’s all fine and well, but do know if you’re not on the accounts, and god forbid, your spouse was to unexpectedly pass away, you wouldn’t legally be able to access the account, even with a PoA, as that is only valid while someone is alive, so without your name being on financial accounts, you’d be up the creek without a paddle.  It has nothing to do with occupation either. 

(I work in finance so I'm being nitpicky here on a not entirely relative topic). ^^ THIS. Not to mention, from a security and (God forbid) fraud standpoint - you cannot use your husband's information, including a debit card in his name, to handle any fraud that may occur, or any other security breach. No bank will speak to you without you being listed on anything. Not only if the husband were to pass away, but if he were to become incapable of accessing the account himself (falls ill, stuck out of town, etc.). You should at the very LEAST be listed as a POA, in case of severe emergency. You can also be listed as POD (Pay on Death), as POA becomes null and void once the primary becomes deceased. POD grants you access to those funds should the primary pass away, without giving you such access while they are still living, if it's necessary to keep accounts separate in independent names.

And being listed as POA or POD on financial accounts and assets can be used as evidence, as well. The account statement will show both.

Not saying this to be judgmental - I've just seen a lot of horror stories between spouses because those sort of things weren't taken into consideration until they were needed, and at which point was a much more stressful matter.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

My wife is a house wife as well. But her name is still on the joint checking account, on my credit card as a authorized user. 

Yes, as I need to be. We haven’t got around to it but need to. I was pointing out that not having done that does not equal financial abuse in a marriage (ie: no access to funds). 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

Oh no no no sorry my post was unclear. The OP as well as myself need to get on our spouse’s accounts. For a variety of reasons. I was saying that not being on the account does not mean the OP does not have access to funds. 

Timeline
Just now, Mrsjackson said:

Yes, as I need to be. We haven’t got around to it but need to. I was pointing out that not having done that does not equal financial abuse in a marriage (ie: no access to funds). 

Definitely doesn’t mean financial abuse, and I don’t think anyone insinuated that.  Whatever works for a couple is their business.  I think the point everyone is trying to make is there are reasons this is necessary outside of immigration purposes.  

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

Definitely doesn’t mean financial abuse, and I don’t think anyone insinuated that.  Whatever works for a couple is their business.  I think the point everyone is trying to make is there are reasons this is necessary outside of immigration purposes.  

I agree with that point. Some of the comments read as insinuations to me, such as concern about the OP not having access to funds. It’s not a big deal though. This is a little off topic now. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.