A and E

Letter of recommendation and documentation

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are currently working on getting him a B2 tourist visa. I was wondering if someone can help guide me in the right direction. 

When writting letter of recommendation do I need two? One personal and one to the consulate?

What documentation do I need to provide as a US citizen? So far I have Passport, Bank letter, Letter of employment, 3 paystubs, I-134 form.

What documentation does he need to provide?

Where do I send these documents?

I would greatly appreciate the help.

2 minutes ago, A and E said:

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are currently working on getting him a B2 tourist visa. I was wondering if someone can help guide me in the right direction. 

When writting letter of recommendation do I need two? One personal and one to the consulate?

What documentation do I need to provide as a US citizen? So far I have Passport, Bank letter, Letter of employment, 3 paystubs, I-134 form.

What country is he from?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

it helps if we know the country /some have little chance for a tourist visa with a gf here

and he will have to state it is his intention to visit u

anyway,   a letter of invitation is not any good

and you can not support him

he has to do all this on his own

prove his intent to just visit 

prove he will return

prove he has a good job

prove he owns property 

prove he can pay for the trip

If issued a visa the POE officer can still refuse entrance when he states he is coming to see a gf

they will assume he will stay and AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
4 minutes ago, A and E said:

Hello,

you can't help him get a B2 tourist visa, he has to get it on his own merits.

no letter of recommendation is going to help, and in fact have a American girlfriend is going to work against him, they will likely see immigration intent.

if he has no option to get ESTA, then again he has to be able to get B2 on his own by showing strong ties to his country and no immigration intent. 

Timeline

sorry i should have added that as an American citizen (USC),  you have more freedom to travel and you could go there

it is also important in many  for you (if this becomes quite serious) to meet his family and have their approval especially the mother

also you my need to be chaperoned and not alone with the bf like you intend in the USA (for approval of family and in our case the judge who issued the marriage license)

know that country's culture to know if any visa would be approved

Edited by adil-rafa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No need for I-134 for a tourist visa. It is on HIM to prove to the consulate that he will return to his country, it has NOTHING to do with you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

good morning

no to the letter of recommendation

and all the readers here will assume a serious relalionship between the 2 of you 

for you are willing to support his B2 visa in every way

that being said the advice here will go towards a future and longer relationship 

and trust this site to guide you in the right direction

like said above "what country is this?"

there is a portal for each country,   read the posts there and embassy reviews as those will help

Edited by kris&me

Timeline
3 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

it helps if we know the country /some have little chance for a tourist visa with a gf here

and he will have to state it is his intention to visit u

anyway,   a letter of invitation is not any good

and you can not support him

he has to do all this on his own

prove his intent to just visit 

prove he will return

prove he has a good job

prove he owns property 

prove he can pay for the trip

If issued a visa the POE officer can still refuse entrance when he states he is coming to see a gf

they will assume he will stay and AOS

Why is my letter no good and why cant I support him? We are willing to write a full itinerary and buy a round trip flight. He has a good decent career and rents property.

Timeline
3 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

sorry i should have added that as an American citizen (USC),  you have more freedom to travel and you could go there

it is also important in many  for you (if this becomes quite serious) to meet his family and have their approval especially the mother

also you my need to be chaperoned and not alone with the bf like you intend in the USA (for approval of family and in our case the judge who issued the marriage license)

know that country's culture to know if any visa would be approved

Edited by A and E
I am going there next Tuesday and then in March. I will be spending Time with his family. Unfortunately we are not ready to get married just yet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
13 minutes ago, A and E said:

Why is my letter no good and why cant I support him? We are willing to write a full itinerary and buy a round trip flight. He has a good decent career and rents property.

Because a letter from you or me for example is meaningless when deciding if he qualifies for a Tourist Visa.

You can of course support him, your money, not sure why you would need to when he has a decent career. The two things sort of contradict.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, A and E said:

Well, this is what the official Department of State website says:

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

Timeline
2 hours ago, A and E said:

as said by many 

he has to show he is supporting himself and will return to his country

renting property is not enough to satisfy ties

read what susieQQQ and boiler wrote 

they know

B2 visa for young men is very, very difficult to obtain.  We submitted a few letters of recommendation, proof of income and funds for trip, property ownership, and a letter from work stating intent to return and we still were denied.  The best advice I can give is to prove very strong ties to home country including, but not limited to property ownership, need to return to care for family member, or high salary. good luck

10 hours ago, A and E said:

Hello,

You have no bearing on his case. He will either be approved or denied on his own merits. Tourist visas do not need an I-134. Not sure why you think that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.